Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys

Im getting my california license soon and my dad is gonna buy me a car, i told him about the camaro so hopefully i'll get one. However i didnt drive any manual transimission in my life, i can shift gears in video games arcade on manual but never tried in real life and im gonna drive it on a daily basis, should i get the manual or auto? i have been driving mazda sedan in my home country for a year so this would be a huge upgrade, im fine with driving an auto but sometimes i think driving a camaro with manual is gonna be fun to get the muscle out of this car, but when i think about getting into traffic and commuting with it i change my mind.

any advice?

BTW im a foreign student

·
Registered
89 Posts
do you want to point the car and steer it.or do you want to DRIVE it ? suppose it all depends on your requirements(daily drive,etc.). i think you know what tranny i have in my 2SS !!!

·
ユキヒョウ
1,442 Posts
Welcome to :5go:

What part of California? If you're going to be in a lot of stop/go traffic on a daily basis I'd say get an automatic. As for a manual, I would say learn and get the experience on a beater car before upgrading to the Camaro (or any new car). Yes you could learn on a camaro, but ....

·
3,081 Posts

What part of California? If you're going to be in a lot of stop/go traffic on a daily basis I'd say get an automatic. As for a manual, I would say learn and get the experience on a beater car before upgrading to the Camaro (or any new car). Yes you could learn on a camaro, but ....
I agree....Get you a beater to start with.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I agree....Get you a beater to start with.:thumbsup:
Totally agree, I learned in an old beater and that saved me a lot of wear and tear. With a new car camaro or other wise it a lot more cash to replace if its the owners fault due to damage. I have the auto and love it one plus depending on who you talk to is I dont ricky race it, If I had the manuel I would... Just me 2 cents...

·
Support MC & Troops
11,804 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

in Los angeles

how many days it took you guys to learn driving stick on a beater? and where should i start practicing?

im thinking of an old honda civic to start with

do you think taking lessons from an instructor would be worth it?

·
ユキヒョウ
1,442 Posts
Getting the basics down, shouldn't take too long. But to get to the point where it becomes second nature is a different story, and everyone is different. You could take driving lessons, but there's no substitute for seat time.

·
Registered
338 Posts
do you want to point the car and steer it.or do you want to DRIVE it ? suppose it all depends on your requirements(daily drive,etc.). i think you know what tranny i have in my 2SS !!!
I see that you live in Plymouth. If I lived in Plymouth I would have a manual. I live in Boston, I have an A6 (no regrets). I am not going to press a clutch in a couple of hundred times to get to work. When I want to shift, I have a Harley Streetglide. In my humble opinion, it would depend on where I lived. I have had many stick shift cars. Shifting gets old fast in downtown Boston traffic.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Welcome to :5go:!

My Avalanche is auto and I love it. My Camaro is manual and I LOVE it. For that kind of car, I only wanted a manual. I have had both for over 20 years of my driving life and still love a manual. It can be a pain in traffic, but it is still worth it.

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
Save up and get your own car. It's a much better experience.

That said, get what YOU want. Not what some forum rambo tells you you have to have to be a "man".

·
Registered
115 Posts
It only takes a day to learn how to drive a stick shift. Less than that if you don't ride the short bus to school.

Take both of them out for a test drive. If you can video it I would love to see the look on the salesman's face.

The thing you have to think about is how much stop and go driving you are going to do and how mid-evil you are going to get on this car.

If your going to drive it like Satan's in the back seat then get an Auto. If you are going to beat on it once in a while but baby it most of the time then get a Manual.

·
Registered
193 Posts
They run auto cause they cant shift, all it is : stab and stear ... a stick is actually driving the car. Do you want a drag queen or a sports car?

I think he should start out with a v6 auto and learn to handle 300 hp before buying 425 hp in a stick that he'll dump the clutch in and wind up on someones lawn with..

inexperienced kids and hp dont mix well

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I love my A6 with the right tune they are pretty nasty and fun to drive

I can shift I just wanted an A6
and Like Patriot said get what you want,

My thinking was my car is going to be used on family trips and shfting while breaking up fights between my boys didnt sound like a good idea

·
Registered
193 Posts
^^^ LOL...
But learning to drive a stick and doing it with a powerful v8 and being young can be a bad combo in a lot of ways... for the car and the person..hahahaha
He could rent a car or find someone who has a beater to let him learn on. We took my dads 68 c10 when he wasnt looking with the straight 6 and practiced on a dirt road.
Thats the best way is on dirt or gravel, then graduate to pavement when you get used to the clutch and gas thing....
If your dad will buy you a new SS then good for you ! But learn how to drive all that power before you try and show off. I was young once I know how it is or was....hahahaha and I am a dad as well

1 - 17 of 17 Posts