Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I get my new march Road & on crack and they are doing a shootout between the New ZL1 and some Jap crap GT-R Nissan awd thing. And I thought, how much more apples to oranges can you get. ZL1 still did very well mind you for almost half price too! But what a dumb test. Buyer of either car would not even be looking at the other one. Lol. :confused:

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Sounds kinda like Top Gear racing a McLaren and a bicycle. There's no point. ...and our transmission doesn't self-destruct.

·
Registered
18 Posts
They did the comparison strictly our of hp numbers. It was actually a good showing for the ZL1 as it hung with a much more expensive AWD car. You are always going to get that with car mags. What would you rather them compare, the ZL1 and a GTR or the ZL1 and a Hyundai??? The fact that he ZL1 styed with the GTR at nearly half the price speaks volumnes. With just a few thousand dollars in mods you could have a car that will destroy the GTR in a striaght line.

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
I just received the issue yesterday. I will try to read some of it later today. Online college classes need to get knocked out first.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They did the comparison strictly our of hp numbers. It was actually a good showing for the ZL1 as it hung with a much more expensive AWD car. You are always going to get that with car mags. What would you rather them compare, the ZL1 and a GTR or the ZL1 and a Hyundai??? The fact that he ZL1 styed with the GTR at nearly half the price speaks volumnes. With just a few thousand dollars in mods you could have a car that will destroy the GTR in a striaght line.
You have a point. I guess it makes more sense than comparing a ZL1 to a naturally aspirated Boss 302 with 440hp like Motor Trend.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Listen to what Carroll Shelby calls the Mustang 3-4x in first 70 seconds. It's unusual coming from him, but reveals in two words he really thinks about the product he endorses so much and how he has made a great living on the idea/belief. It also exposes, why the Camaro 5th Gen is so successful, without actually saying it. Congrats to the entire GM team for making the 5th Gen, and most recently, the LEGENDARY ZL1.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I agree that the price of the two cars are a world apart. The GTR is a world class super car for an almost affordable price. From what I've seen the ZL1 will be a world class muscle car for a more affordable price. As stated the GTR's price is out of my league. I'm really looking forward to recieving my ZL1. PJ you are wrong in calling the GTR " some Jap crap awd thing". As a 370Z owner I know the quality and engineering they build into them. Ofcourse I don't have anything good to say about Fords so I know where you are coming from LOL.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree that the price of the two cars are a world apart. The GTR is a world class super car for an almost affordable price. From what I've seen the ZL1 will be a world class muscle car for a more affordable price. As stated the GTR's price is out of my league. I'm really looking forward to recieving my ZL1. PJ you are wrong in calling the GTR " some Jap crap awd thing". As a 370Z owner I know the quality and engineering they build into them. Ofcourse I don't have anything good to say about Fords so I know where you are coming from LOL.
Thats ok. Fords just dominated the 24 hrs. of Daytona, and a mustang Boss won the BMW challenge race the day before! Yup Fords suck ass for sure. Lol. Also see the exploding GTR transmissions! Jap engineering my ass! Don't drive it like an American car or it will cost you mega dollars my friend. Good luck with that over priced Nissan. Lol.

·
Registered
442 Posts
LOL PJ you are way too much like me:eek: I did drive my Z like I stole it. Feel bad that I'm trading it in but I am getting a ZL1 out of it soo. :thumbsup: As for the 24 hours of Daytona the Camaro's had been resticted on power. So all the race proved was that Ford sandbagged in order to not be resticted. LOL Oh BTW what make does Tony Stewart drive in NASCAR. Didn't he win something last year? Like the Cup. :chairshot:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL PJ you are way too much like me:eek: I did drive my Z like I stole it. Feel bad that I'm trading it in but I am getting a ZL1 out of it soo. :thumbsup: As for the 24 hours of Daytona the Camaro's had been resticted on power. So all the race proved was that Ford sandbagged in order to not be resticted. LOL Oh BTW what make does Tony Stewart drive in NASCAR. Didn't he win something last year? Like the Cup. :chairshot:
firecross I was referring to the prototype class of cars not Camaro and Mustang.
And I don't mean to bash on your Z car. It's a nice affordable sports car for the working man. Just doesn't have the thumping V8 that most of us around here love.
I copied and pasted an interesting article on the GT-R trans. and an Aussie fix for it so you can drive it like a crazy American! Lol. Good luck with the ZL1..It should be a beast on the street! :lol:

The gearbox in the GT-R is the GR6, which was developed exclusively for the car. It utilized dual clutches and triple cone synchronizers to allow extremely quick shifting. There is a clutch for first, third and fifth gear as well as one for second, fourth and sixth gear, allowing the gears that aren't being used at the time to be pre-selected. The gearbox has several different settings that vary how aggressively it shifts, ranging from auto mode to a much more aggressive R-shift mode. The GT-R also features a Hill Start Assist similar to BMW's, where the car can automatically apply brake pressure on a hill to assist in starting.

Problems

The problems that have been reported with the GT-R relate to the first gear cog, which under stress can develop cracks and then fail entirely, destroying the gearbox in the process. Like many new supercars from Porsche, BMW and Ferrari, the GT-R comes with a launch control feature, which can be used to produce the dramatic acceleration figures that the car boasts by holding the engine at 4,800 rpm and then quickly releasing the clutch. This allows it to go from 0 to 60 mph in 3.2 seconds. Revving the engine at a higher rpm produces more torque, but it also incredibly hard on the gearbox when it is suddenly transmitted to all four wheels in a car that weighs 3,800 lbs. Because there is so much traction available, the wheels "hop" instead of spinning, sending more force into the gearbox. The result has been the destruction of some GT-R gearboxes, which cost $20,000 to replace.

Considerations

There are some companies like PPG (Pfitzner's Performance Gearboxes) that are developing stronger components for the GT-R's gearbox. Some owners who drive their cars extremely aggressively are upgrading the first gear and the input shaft with stronger parts. Like most manufacturers, Nissan is being pretty mum on the subject of gearbox failure. There have also been reports of Nissan voiding warranties and refusing to replace the gearboxes on cars that have seen frequent use of launch control

Read more: Nissan GT-R Transmission Problems | eHow.com Nissan GT-R Transmission Problems | eHow.com

·
Registered
442 Posts
Thanks for you research on this. As I'm not a GTR owner I haven't spent alot of time on them. One thing I did find was at the Buffalo car show. I looked at all the 2 seater v6 sports cars. I found 2 others. They both where $20,000 more and had less HP. The bad news is that they didn't have a ZL1 there to look at :angry: PJ what are the perticulars of your ride? It is nice to see a long term road racer with his hand still in cars.Parnelli Jones ofcourse. As for the prototypes they did have some mechanical issues that I'm sure they will work out. :cool:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Do you really count Nascar as racing? The cars are pretty much identical so you could say Tony was driving a Toyota with Chevy Impala decals on it.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I do count NASCAR as racing as do millions of Americans. The Cup cars are designed to be the same. I agree that any body style accepted should actually have a v8 engine in them. The upsetting thing is that in the Nationwide Series Chevy doesn't force the teams to run Camaros WTH Ford runs rustangs. Just think real V8 cars that you can recognize in the NWS Rustangs, Camaros and Chargers. I don't know what Toyo will run cause I don't know of a Toyo v8 car??? Anybody??

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Those kind of comparos annoy me too. Thats's why I don't read those dumb rags like car and passenger, road and crack, and toyota trend. I'll stick with car craft and hot rod (tho even hot rod was pissin' me off for a while too). It's good the ZL1 had a good showing tho.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for you research on this. As I'm not a GTR owner I haven't spent alot of time on them. One thing I did find was at the Buffalo car show. I looked at all the 2 seater v6 sports cars. I found 2 others. They both where $20,000 more and had less HP. The bad news is that they didn't have a ZL1 there to look at :angry: PJ what are the perticulars of your ride? It is nice to see a long term road racer with his hand still in cars.Parnelli Jones ofcourse. As for the prototypes they did have some mechanical issues that I'm sure they will work out. :cool:
I have several rides my friend..Some are projects under construction in my shop
(54 Stude, 68 Firebird, 72 Cougar XR7 Conv., 30-32 all steel Ford roadster with 302 and 5-spd. Tremec) but I also have a daily driver 2007 Saleen PJ #111..Or as you would call it a "RUSTANG". Lol. It's ok, I like it and many other cars besides Ford products. A new ZL1 will be a top choice to add to my garage down the road. Really like the mean looks and performance. Although I wish it and the Challenger would lose the weight. My Saleen feels
like a tight handling little go cart compared to both of them. However, my ride does suffer without the IRS and feels at times a little to much track oriented for the street. Lol. Anyway, love hearing from you boys and checking out your awesome new rides.-PR

1 - 20 of 36 Posts