Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok gents... let say we place a order for our beautiful Camaro in December. . . when we pic up the car in May (?) can the dealer stick a markup on the car you put money down on already?

Sorry, but I only ever bought a car off the lot and never ordered one.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Ok gents... let say we place a order for our beautiful Camaro in December. . . when we pic up the car in May (?) can the dealer stick a markup on the car you put money down on already?

Sorry, but I only ever bought a car off the lot and never ordered one.

Others will have to chime in here, but from what I understand, the price is settled the day you order the car. It's written on paper befor the care is ordered. You don't pay until you see it in person, at which point you can still walk away if your not happy.

Now my only question is, will it really take til May to get the car? :BangHead:

·
Registered
71 Posts
In my experience ordering an '05 Mustang GT in July 2004...
Price was agreed upon at time of order... The dealer stood by his word of 2% over invoice even with other dealers offering him $2k-$5k over MSRP...

In my experience ordering an '07 Wrangler in July 06...
2% over invoice was agreed upon at time of order even though pricing wasn't available for several weeks...

Pending on your State's consumer protection laws... dealers can do what ever they want until you sign the title/registration paperwork... Even if you order the car in your name (Its cool seeing your name on the window sticker) and prequalify for the loan or write a check... it is their car... until the final paperwork is complete

certain exceptions: If pressured, I believe you can prepay the car and have it titled in your name... not sure on how to do that -I haven't been fortunate enough to "One Pay" a new car

In any case, find a dealer you feel comfortable with and get everything in writing and keep "clear" photocopies. I believe all deposits must be refundable, but court and lawyer fees are a b***h

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the advice and heads up.

Is everyone expecting to pay 2% over MSRP? I was kind of hoping that I wouldn't have to pay above MSRP. Might have to wait until Feb-March til I order one. . .

By the way, how long does it usually take for a Ordered car to be made and avaliable for pickup?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
If you have a binding contract, then no, the price is set. Again, as Kahdir points out, you need to check local laws as not many dealers do this to my knowledge. If it's more traditional, such as a "negotiable upon arrival" or "1st refusal" then you could be subject to any price increases as you would be charged the price of the car as of the day you sign the papers on arrival. If you got a good dealer and they want to keep you coming back, then they'll more than likely honor any presale price they quote you. But get it in writing. Nothing happened if it wasn't written down.

If the car is supposed to be produced in the numbers they want it to be, trust me, you'll get it for any prenegotiated price. They're going to be selling these cars. If it's a specialty vehicle, you may be in for some ankle grabbing. Time will tell.

·
Registered
71 Posts
thanks for the advice and heads up.

Is everyone expecting to pay 2% over MSRP? I was kind of hoping that I wouldn't have to pay above MSRP. Might have to wait until Feb-March til I order one. . .

By the way, how long does it usually take for a Ordered car to be made and avaliable for pickup?
No 2% over invoice... about $600 over what they pay to get it... before hold backs...

It took me contacting over 30+ dealers to get the Stang @ $2,200 off MSRP.

The Jeep was just under $2k savings off MSRP.

NEVER PAY OVER MSRP -aside from tax/registration...

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
A car ordered from GM takes between 6-8 weeks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts