Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I struck again!

Recap for the new guys. I hit a huge water puddle on an onramp in my 2000Z back in 03 or 04 sending a huge gush of water into the intake hydrolocking it sending rods out of both sides of the block and bending a couple more (amazingly it still started up and pulled itself out of the water puddle!). Fortunately ins replaced it albeit with a used one with only 20K less miles.

Me 1 LS 0

2 Years ago I paid the Camaro off and got the big mod bug, MS3 cam kit headers, 9inch with 4.11's, suspension, built trans 3600 stall etc. After tunign the car shifted funny so my brother in law who builds transmissions test drove it to see what was up. Through a series of events it got accidently put in second gear doing 80 sending the motor well over 7000 RPM's in turn causing every exhaust valve to slap the pistons unbeknowest to me at the time. 2 weeks later one of the exhaust valve's head broke off while cruising shattering the piston turning the rod into a wrecking ball. :angry:

Me 2 LS 0

Yesterday. Was taking kids to parents house to drop them off (in the GTO). Started hearing a tapping sound with the windows down. Pulled into my brothers house thinking maybe low on oil and lifters tapping. I was right on the first one fortunately (4 qts low :eek:) wrong on the second. Sounds like a toasted rod bearing with the knocking getting substantially louder despite refilling the crankcase. I'm still trying to figure out how I go from using 1 quart per oil change to 4 (still have about 500 miles before I'm due for oil change) but the damage is already done so now I am pulling the engine tomoroww and going to replace the rod and main bearings praying that the journals are fine and don't need to have them turned. And to think I thought about checking the oil while working on another car but never remembered to actually do it. :confused::angry::(:mad:

Me 3 LS engines 0

While I just found out there was a TSB about LS2's with manuals and excessive oil consumption due to blowby from engine braking 4 quarts in 2.5 months is retarded. There is no leaks on the carport or on the bottom of the car nor have I detected any smoke. I'll probably go ahead and install that catch can I been meaning to do lately now as well. **** GTO's and their lack of oil PSI guages or even idiot lights for that matter. Unplugging the oil sensor and driving will not trigger any alerts, SES either.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No 2 motors were in the Z28 last one is in the GTO. The Z28 is still TKO'd.

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
I thought everybody knew about the LS2s hemorrhaging oil between changes.

Most LS2 going boom stories go like this.... The Service manager quickly flipped through the owners manual and point to the check oil EVERY time you fill up phrase.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought everybody knew about the LS2s hemorrhaging oil between changes.

Most LS2 going boom stories go like this.... The Service manager quickly flipped through the owners manual and point to the check oil EVERY time you fill up phrase.
Lol ya I will from now on needless to say, much like I avoid all water puddles :lol:. I knew it used it, it just never used this much.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I had an extra day or two to be able to mess with it I might have installed my cam in it however as my DD and only ride to work I need it back to 100% ASAP. Keeping it under 2K since yesterday sux.

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
Catch cans are worth their weight in gold! I check mine (on my Magnum) once a week and there's several ounces of oil. How's your PCV valve, Slim?

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
you've got quite a record going... sorry to hear that, but at least it is an excuse to make it faster ;)

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well she's back together! Unfortunately I had to do it in 34 degree weather [email protected]#&*%[email protected]! Had a few snags on the way **** battery decided to take a dump as well as the thermostat. Also a hidden ground strap that I didn't see or hook up caused all sorts of gremlins such as crank sensor codes and PCM faults but once I found it and reconnected it's purring like kitten. Getting at it from the bottom was impossible so the motor had to come out. Had I known then what I know now I would have removed the trans with the engine as putting the engine back in the car trying to install in the trans was a major PITA. Turned out only one rod bearing was toast, mains were fine. Crank was fine too. I caught it before the bearing got down to the brass, just peeled some of the outer coating and stuck it to the crank. Came off easily enough though and all seems well. I'll post the few pics I have when I get a chance. was freezing my cajones off so taking pics often wasn't in the equation.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
good to hear! :thumbsup: and kudos to you for braving the weather.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts