Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 PT Cruiser / 114k miles on it.

Last week, when I stopped at a light, the check engine light came on & the car stopped. The mechanic told me that about 16" worth of the timing belt was "missing teeth" & it was coming apart in "layers".

I've got a high school shop teacher (Prior Chevy mechanic) telling me that the "heads may be bent" but he's still taking it apart.

Needless to say the wait is killing me! A few questions:
1) Being stopped when the engine quit reduces the chances of major damage, right?

2) What would "Bend the heads"?

3) Is it likely that the heads would be bent?

Please - any advice / reassurances / opinions are greatly welcomed. It would help my piece of mind to hear some of your experiences/ opinions, etc.

Thanks....

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
heads warp or crack and its prolly a aluminum head so if its anything it would be crack...

more than likely its bent valves from the timeing chain/belt jumping or going bad....pistons went up hit valves and bent them...in this case stopping the engine soon didnt help.

valves are in the head yes they can be replaced relatively easily by oulling the head...not the pistons

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
You first need to have the mechanic properly diagnose your actual problem. You can then go from there. A broken or slipped timing belt can be an expensive repair if head/valve/piston damage has occurred.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well - I got the call today. The belt was replaced, the tension rod was fine & the belt was not broken at all (just worn down but it was still in 1 piece). Tomorrow they will try to start it. If it starts, it should be fine, right?

If it doesn't start, then what does this mean - what would be broken that would keep it from starting?

Thanks for any advice...

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
Well - I got the call today. The belt was replaced, the tension rod was fine & the belt was not broken at all (just worn down but it was still in 1 piece). Tomorrow they will try to start it. If it starts, it should be fine, right?

If it doesn't start, then what does this mean - what would be broken that would keep it from starting?

Thanks for any advice...
The aforementioned bent valves would keep it from starting or running right. What happens is the belt turns the cam, the cams lobes operate the valves. If the belt stops turning and the crankshaft keeps moving, then the cam isn't turning and valves that are open for the exhaust stroke stay open and the pistons slam into them. The repair is basically the same as if your head gasket blew, except that you also have to pay to have the head rebuilt.

I replaced a head gasket on a neon a couple of years ago (same engine) and the damned gasket kit was $300. It'll probably cost $250 or so to rebuild the head.

Seriously, this is super easy fix for almost anyone. The only specialty tools you need are a Haynes manual and Torque wrench (a drill with a wire head bit would help, but steel wool works too). You're going to pay alot in labor for a mechanic to remove everything blocking the head. It's time consuming, but piddly work that you shouldn't have to pay a mechanics hours wages to have removed. Also, removing gasket material from the engine block can be a bit of a *****, especially if you're just using steel wool. Seriously though, almost anyone can do this. Any machine shop can rebuild the head for you.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I don't know if the Mopar's are a non interference type of valve train. If they are, there shouldn't be any valve damage.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
this thread was started in Oct...I sure hope he's got it figured out by now.:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
question... when was the last time you had the timing belt replaced and how many miles??.. i'm kinda nervous about my supra's.. i have to drive it from WI to MD.. and that's about all that could really go wrong other than the HG, but it's the N/A supra, so i can't see this being too big a problem if i stay out of it... (i just bought the car a couple months ago, have to drive it home, but i'm at school and haven't gotten to know it well though it ran like a swiss watch when i drove it, smoothest idle i've heard in a while).. i know the engine's non-interference, but there's still a good possibility of stuff getting messed up

·
Registered
14 Posts
question... when was the last time you had the timing belt replaced and how many miles??.. i'm kinda nervous about my supra's.. i have to drive it from WI to MD.. and that's about all that could really go wrong other than the HG, but it's the N/A supra, so i can't see this being too big a problem if i stay out of it... (i just bought the car a couple months ago, have to drive it home, but i'm at school and haven't gotten to know it well though it ran like a swiss watch when i drove it, smoothest idle i've heard in a while).. i know the engine's non-interference, but there's still a good possibility of stuff getting messed up
If its non-interference then it will just stop running if the belt breaks. Then you just line up the pulleys and put a new belt on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts