Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've heard a few things like there is no such thing as receiving a car with 0 miles on it.

What is the process?

Engines get tested before being put in the car (I saw someone post that they run them on natural gas?)...

Car gets tested after the engine is in....etc...

What does the factory do with a brand spakin' new car before putting it out for delivery?

My apologies if this is a stupid question....I was just curious.

·
Registered
402 Posts
It goes to reason, that cars coming off the assembly line have to be driven to certain points. From the assembly line to the holding/staging area; from that area to the railhead and onto the railcars; from the railcars to another holding area; from that area to the transporters that deliver them to the dealers. I would guess that some cars are randomly selected for dyno runs as a part of the QC proccess. Granted all of these are short runs/drives and keeps the mileage very low. Who knows? They might even disable the odometers until they are delivered to the dealer, and as a part of the prep work they enable them. As most vehicles now have electronic speedometers/speed sensors and such. If anybody knows, please share the knowledge! ;)

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
I have no idea what the process was, but mine had 8 miles on it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
From what I understand, they get a 1 mile drive around the factory after QC to the shipping lot. Then from truck to train, to truck.

My car had EXACTLY 3 miles on it when I picked it up. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mine had 13.

·
Registered
31 Posts
mine had 5 miles on it - since I ordered mine, the dealership knew that no-one was allowed to "test" drive mine...

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I would imagine that if it didn't have to go through QC checks, 5-10 miles would be about normal.

Once the car is built, manufacturers are NOT supposed to mess with the odometer. Federal statutes and all. So if your car has 0 miles on it at delivery, suspect that. Something may be up.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My car went thru QC & I was at the dealer when the transport arrived. I was the first to sit in it after the transport driver got out & it had 18 miles showing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
We got ours after a customer backed out so the sales guys took it for a few rides. Had 31 miles on it when we picked it up.

·
Registered
193 Posts
17 too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts