Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, it's been feeling a little bit like Monster Garage at our house this past weekend. we have officially started the conversion process on Skully, our 86 Caddy Hearse. the plan is to do some maintenance (trans flush, oil chg, etc), fix the roof rot, paint him 'rat rod' flat black with skull graphics, get some new wheels, put in a killer sound system... and basically convert him from a creepy stock looking hearse into a bad ass showstopping hearse :D

here's a before shot:

Scott removed the vinyl top (hard to see in pics, but it was cracked and splitting really bad allowing water to get under it):

bad roof rot at the windershield and under the fiberglass overlay (whenever he was out in the rain, the windshield would leak all over you and give you a bath while you drove):

also down the driver's side A-pillar:

me removing the foam under the vinyl... kinda felt like skinning an animal cuz i had to use a scraper to get it off (and we had kept Skully out of the weather for about 2 weeks before we started this and that foam was still wet... hard to believe how much moisture that stuff holds):

rivets holding on the drip rail:

we went to the junkyard yesterday and found a roof in great shape on an 87 fleetwood. this will be our patch panel to fix the roof rot at the windshield and down the A-pillars:

Scott started Dremel-ing out the rotted sections of the A-pillar (until the darn Dremel died):

here's Skully after i removed most of that **** foam... took me a few hours to get it all off but eventually i did. thank goodness the roof is totally covered with a fiberglass overlay, or we'd have a lot more rot to fix. water must have been seeping thru that vinyl for years:

that's as far as we got this weekend. we'll keep plugging away at it every weekend... so this is "to be continued."

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
NICE! Looks like a fun build...keep up posted, and good luck.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks. i know it won't be as cool as the Jesse James Grim Ripper hearses, but i think it will look pretty killer when finished :D

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
everytime it rained, the windshield leaked so we knew water was getting in there. when we removed the headliner in the front cabin (about 2 months ago), we could see rust where the windshield met the roof. we had no idea how bad it was until we peeled back the vinyl tho.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Can't wait to see what it looks like done. Good luck with the build!

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
thanks. i know it won't be as cool as the Jesse James Grim Ripper hearses, but i think it will look pretty killer when finished :D
Who says it won't be as cool?! You built it in your own garage, and that's extra style points right there! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Please chop that roof hot rod style!

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
we can't do anything to the roof since it already has that fiberglass overlay... but that would look hella cool.

·
Registered
179 Posts
You guys have to be stopped!! :)

Good luck, I know it will be cool as **** when done!!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Now this is my kinda post in MC lounge Selena, keep the pics coming,Dad and I have never done a hearse, but **** it would be cool....Just be super carefull welding on that patch piece when your going across the roof,they will buckle like a b*tch if you go to fast

1 - 20 of 26 Posts