Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a sky is falling post. This is something I'm now tired of seeing come up in the financial news media.

IMHO, this is being heavily promoted by the Michigan state government. I think it would be a bad idea, and the timing horrible, to pursue a merger with a company again on the cusp of bankruptcy (Chrysler). Does anyone here see how GM could possibly be better off mergining with Chrysler?

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts
Cerberus is pushing this deal. They want it more than anyone.

A friend of mine at Chrysler informed me yesterday they had a town hall here at the Chrysler HQ in Michigan, they are offering buyout packages to EVERY Chrysler employee, top to bottom. That tells me this deal is going to be a reality sooner than later.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
yeah, the more I hear about it, the more I think it's going to happen. That's gonna be weird...but hopefully a positive for GM.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Well then maybe GM can thin out some of the dead weight in the Chrysler lineup. The Aspen is the first model that comes to mind. I still don't understand why they named it after a late-seventies Dodge midsize car that was of suspect quality. Bad karma IMO.

·
Supporting Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
GM badges on the side of chrysler vehicles ughhh. Maybe it will end the bently styling I can't stand.

·
Registered
637 Posts
It will be better with one less competitor. More bargaining power with suppliers and unions. GM gets much needed operating cash and a chance to surive untill 2010 when all of the savior cars will be out. Camaro, Volt Cruze, ect.

GM should file for bankruptcy, restructure and come out ahead. This will allow them to dump legacy costs (pensions healthcare union contracts) and focus on building great cars at copetitive prices.

Even with a merger and government bailout I feel that GM will not exist as we know it by the end of next year. To sit here like a petulant child and scream they will be here they will be here is just blindly ignoring the facts and clining to a nostalgic view of a formaly great industry that has and will continue to fall.

Remember the sky is not falling but the DOW is and that just might take the General with it. Just my opinion, your milage may vary.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
:rotflmao:that thing gotta hemi?:eek:
:lol: but yeah i'm hearin the same thing about the gm-chrysler thing.i wonder if the GMC badge will now stand for General Motors Chrysler?:lol:

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think this is a good idea. The days of having several profitable US auto-makers is over. There is enough foreign competition in the industry to achieve fair competition in the US. A perfect example of this is the commercial aircraft industry. Up until the 60's we had Boeing, McDonnell Douglas, & Lockheed-Martin. Through mergers & acquistions Boeing is the only commercial US aircraft company left (big aircraft, not the bug smashers)but they have strong competition with Airbus. In this global environment a merger on this level is long overdue in the auto industry IMHO. I just hope GM comes out on top.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts