Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else got a swapped thirdgen? big block, lt1, turbo v6, lsx?

i think ive only seen a couple on here, are there more hiding?
any info, track times, hp #'s?

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
My 83 had a mildly built 350ci engine swapped in for the stock 305. Not an entire swap, but it was stealthy and faster than newer models, including my 92.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 83 had a mildly built 350ci engine swapped in for the stock 305. Not an entire swap, but it was stealthy and faster than newer models, including my 92.
i wish i would of gotten a 350 in my 86, that thing was slowwwww lol, nothing like shifting at 4500 lol.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
i did a 383 holley stealth ram swap on mine. Only thing thirdgen about my drivetrain. everything else behind the motor is 4thgen stuff.

·
Banned
33 Posts
I removed the TBI 305 and TH700-R4 from my 89 RS and replaced them with a carbed 406 sbc and TH350 with a stall converter. Haven't taken it to the track yet, but plan on it sometime this summer hopefully.

·
Banned
33 Posts
Sweet! Any guesses on times? What rear end?
At this point I have no idea what it will run. Right now the car has a 10 bolt with 3.42 gears, Auburn diff and a TA Performance stud girdle. Should hold up until I put some sticky tires on it. Thinking about ordering a 9" for it, but not in the budget at this time.

David

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
At this point I have no idea what it will run. Right now the car has a 10 bolt with 3.42 gears, Auburn diff and a TA Performance stud girdle. Should hold up until I put some sticky tires on it. Thinking about ordering a 9" for it, but not in the budget at this time.

David
they are a good investment, i got mine for like 2k, you could probably find a used one for alot less though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have long thought of taking my time and swapping a Solstice GXP powertrain into a 3rd gen body as a project. Like finding an old V6 auto and taking this on as a long term project.

On paper, it looks possible. They weigh about the same (according to Edmunds.com, the 1990 Firebird base with a V6 was 3210lbs, the 2009 Solstice GXP is 2976lbs, I think I could find 234lbs somewhere in the body), the LNF engine works for RWD, it's actually more powerful than even the GTA was stock, and obviously a RWD tranny is available. There are performance parts available for the LNF including a kit to make the engine a "premium only" engine. The icing on the cake is that the LNF would also get better mileage than a V8 would. I would need a rear end somewhere in the range of 3.83, and I know the mounts would be trouble.

I am sure this is just buying more trouble than I think though.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts