Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard a few vid clips of the SS with the muffler delete. Its really growing on me. Are there any power lossess though running no mufflers?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thx for replyin. Thats what I was afraid of. I was lookin at one car that has this done and they were sayin he picked up a lil power but i dunno. I have done extensive dyno testing on my race car and it usually made more power with mufflers than straight headers..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not a bad idea, but I was tryin to keep the cost down plus Im not crazy about the look of the stock mufflers. I just stumbled across a chambered exhaust from Stainless Works, its almost identical to the factory chambered exhaust I had on my 67 RS/SS...Decisions, Decisions....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Copy that, I thought for some reason that u were runnin stock mufflers with a cut out. Very cool. I hear ya on the payment plan!! Thank god 4 VISA!! LOL

·
8,984 Posts
Electrical cutouts and muffler deletes are two TOTALLY different things and several people have posted on here that there were no gains on the V8s, but I don't recall any losses.

I WOULD expect losses on certain vehicles with cutouts, but with the muffler being at the end of the exhaust, I wouldn't expect any losses.

Those with ACTUAL experience should chime in. :)

·
Registered
746 Posts
This is mine on the dyno , I have the SLP Loudmouth (muffler delete), it put down 373 at rear wheels. I personally love the sound. I think it had a whole different feel after the muffler delete, almost as if the powerband changed....Its not the greatest video, if I find more I'll let you know.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had mine cut out and straight pipes welded in place...there is no loss of HP at all doing this. The sound is another thing altogether, some love it, some hate it. Electric cut outs aren't cheap by any means plus the install is a bit involved ($)... My set up was 200 out the door :thumbsup:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Electrical cutouts and muffler deletes are two TOTALLY different things and several people have posted on here that there were no gains on the V8s, but I don't recall any losses.

I WOULD expect losses on certain vehicles with cutouts, but with the muffler being at the end of the exhaust, I wouldn't expect any losses.

Those with ACTUAL experience should chime in. :)
Ya I knew they were different. I kinda like the sound but I don't want to lose any ponies..well see how it goes.

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
yep, when i first got my car i had it dynoed and then with the muffler delete. no gain or loss with the muffler delete.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Lesson learned

I heard a few vid clips of the SS with the muffler delete. Its really growing on me. Are there any power lossess though running no mufflers?

I thought the same thing, sounds cool, I can save some $$$ , right.
After only 3 days I could not stand it any longer. It sounded like my old cutlass after the muffler fell off. Sure it sounds good when you are gettin on it but you gotta slow down sooner or later and the decel popping drove me nuts. Any type of muffler will sound better than none at all. We drive a classy, hot car it should sound that way. I went with MBRP 3" stainless cat back. Good luck! Let us hear what you end up with!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thx for all the input folks. Were installing a borla atak catback with long tubes on my buddies car this week. Well see how I like that one...

·
Registered
746 Posts
I would expect a loss on the low end of the power scale by eliminating some back pressure in the exhaust system.

Personally, I've never been a fan of the muffler-delete sound on a street car.
No loss on low end that I can tell, I thought it woke it up actually....

·
8,984 Posts
I would expect a loss on the low end of the power scale by eliminating some back pressure in the exhaust system.

Personally, I've never been a fan of the muffler-delete sound on a street car.
Normally yes if the mufflers were in the first few feet or in the middle of the exhaust stream, but seeing that they are towards the end, the amount of surface area of piping the the exhaust is traveling through has already recognized the "needed" back pressure, so probably very small loss if any.

Dyno will tell all.:D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts