Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
MUSCIANS THREAD

So after a search I couldn't find one here, and music is something that we all can relate to...
What instrument do you play? In a band currently or working up to it?
Me, I used to sing in the Moline Boys Choir and then took piano lessons for awhile. In high school I started playing the bass and with a lot of help from an awesome musician/ guitar player who I am getting together with again after 17+ years, we started a garage band. We had a me(bass), a decent drummer, and a really good guitarist. I did sing too, but we only did a few songs with vocals. Then I could only play with a pick.

Now I've been takeing lessons to learn the proper way to play the bass and have a Washburn bass with a Crate amp that is awesome! I never thought I could play thrash/ metal with my fingers, but with a really good instructor, I'm learning fast. And the sound is so much richer when you hit the notes with your fingers. A lot fuller.
I know there is at least a few past/current musicians in here. What's your story? Influences? Idols? My living idols are Robert Trujillo, Jason Newstead, Geezer Butler, Flea, and Gene Simmons cause he is the ultimate musician!

Cliff Burton was my first influence, may he rest in peace. His soul will live on forever!
Mark

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
i suck... the closest i get to playing an instrument any more is by playing rockband :lol:

i used to play piano and guitar... but i haven't played either since high school :(

Reactions: usmc190

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i suck... the closest i get to playing an instrument any more is by playing rockband :lol:

i used to play piano and guitar... but i haven't played either since high school :(
Ya, that's kind of what inspired me to buy a new bass and amp, Guitar Hero. I really like the real thing better than the game. You're never to old to pick up that guitar again and play the music you love!

·
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep
4,638 Posts
I play air guitar :thumbsup:
:roxor:

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Rapper/Songwriter
I attempted to play clarinet in 5th grade,sucked at it.I did attempt to play a freind's electric guitar and I clearly need a ton of practice to be anywhere near good:lol:

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Trumpet, harmonica, guitar, pretty good at all three.. played in the Drum and Bugle corps here for a year, but got pissed at my director, so not doing anything formal right now.. just play to play.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am working on two really hard songs. Battery and Blackened both by Metallica. I used be able to play Battery with a pick, but I've thrown all those away and those songs are really fast and hard to play with your fingers. I learned Walk This Way by Aerosmith and it is one of my favs after playing it a hundred or so times to get the right tempo. Smooth Criminal by Micheal Jackson/ AA Farm is really fun and sounds good with just the bass and drums.

What is the hardest song you can play all through? Anyone else play music regularly here?

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
not too much anymore, but I used to play both guitar and bass. I focused mostly on original songs...played in a few bands back in the day. Made it onto a movie soundtrack (b-movie, nothing you've ever heard of), a few college radio stations, played a few industry showcases, opened locally for a few "known bands", a few gigs at CBGB's...never went any further because I never could find a drummer that wasn't a DICK. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
I can play Ode to Joy on the Piano and Guitar, but that's about it. I guess the cash I spent on my Esteban Camaro Guitar was for nothing. Its too hard. You have to use your brain, and I'm not up for that.:D

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
not too much anymore, but I used to play both guitar and bass. I focused mostly on original songs...played in a few bands back in the day. Made it onto a movie soundtrack (b-movie, nothing you've ever heard of), a few college radio stations, played a few industry showcases, opened locally for a few "known bands", a few gigs at CBGB's...never went any further because I never could find a drummer that wasn't a DICK. :rolleyes:
Wow! Do you play bass at all anymore? I couldn't see someone being that good and just walking away. Well even after not playing one for 16+ years I still remembered a few riffs and one all the way through, I'm hooked once again!
What movie/ name of your old band! That's really cool!

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Wow! Do you play bass at all anymore? I couldn't see someone being that good and just walking away. Well even after not playing one for 16+ years I still remembered a few riffs and one all the way through, I'm hooked once again!

About a month ago, I actually picked up my guitar for the first time in probably 9 years because my son likes to hear me play (he's 4).

When I left my last band I was just worn out. We had 2 gigs canceled that could have been huge for us. I got into a big argument with our drummer and I was just done. I was broke and we weren't making any money. After I left, it was a month before I could even listen to music...it just wasn't fun any more. That said, I had a blast while it was good. I loved playing gigs and writing music, but it was the other things that got old.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Isn't Powerfreak great? Always has a good story to tell.
Oh, I have lots of good stories from my band days. :cool: Matt Pinfield, my drummer getting abducted by aliens, breaking my effin bass strings, lesbians, my jeep getting broken into during gigs...twice, a crazy spider bite, the misfits, too drunk to find my way back to the hotel...did I mention lesbians???...oh, the good ole days. ;)

the name the band was "PowerFreak" :rolleyes: ...and the movie was "Airboss II"...(see...I told you that you never heard of it ;)).

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
lol. I bet there's a never-ending list. a crazy spider bite? rofl. Don't worry, we've had our cars broken intoa few times, too. Sometimes the cars were no more than 50 feet away from us. (concert)

Matt Pinfield sounds familiar... He's not that dj from VH1, is he? could be a different one though.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
I play guitar, I have a fetish for blue and white guitars. I have a Ibanez RG350DX and I have been in 2 bands that are no longer together obviously.

I play Megadeth And Testament mostly. HORNS UP!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts