Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
I doubt that they will do anything. That is a Shelby car, not a Ford car. In other words, this is a tuner car (like the Super Snake, or SLP ZL585). The GT500 is built by Ford, not Shelby.

You follow?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Chevy will do what I predicted they do in 2009 :). The Z28, when it comes out will be a forced induction v6!

·
See You On Course
3,867 Posts
Chevy will do what I predicted they do in 2009 :). The Z28, when it comes out will be a forced induction v6!
I hate when they desecrate names like that. A forced induction Camaro is fine by me, but don't use the Z28 moniker for it, you know?

It was like the whole GTO fiasco. It was a cool car, but not a GTO in my opinion.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I personally think Chevy dropped the ball on the V6, They should have done the brakes and supension, at least like the V8 cars. It's bad that Ford has to show where Chevy should be.

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
I personally think Chevy dropped the ball on the V6, They should have done the brakes and supension, at least like the V8 cars. It's bad that Ford has to show where Chevy should be.
...but you bought one. That shows GM was right.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Agreed. GM is really missing out by not providing a performance package option that is available for the V6 Camaro.

The RS package, even though its just wheels/tires, isn't even available on the V6 until you pick one of the upper trim packages. Ford offers a V6 performance package *and* great Recaro seats on the *base* level V6 -- add both and you still have an MSRP of less than $27k!

I don't know why GM goes though the trouble of providing a very solid 320+ HP V6 engine, and then thinks no one wants a performance package to go with it. You would think with all the renewed interest in providing fun cars with good MPG, GM would be thinking about how to make the V6 cars more attractive for the performance enthusiast.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hate when they desecrate names like that. A forced induction Camaro is fine by me, but don't use the Z28 moniker for it, you know?

It was like the whole GTO fiasco. It was a cool car, but not a GTO in my opinion.
If they can get that V6 into the 12s then I have no problem with a z/28 plate. The original Z/28 was a little 302 running high 14s with street tires. Of course faster with better lockup.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well right now GM is fucusing all there attention on the attention on the 6th gen Camaro. The 5th Gen was just the intro. The 6th gen will tell the tale with its smaller platform. Stylewise they best better get it right. Not only that the V6s could be running low 13s as is with 500lb less weight. Add a Turbo or S/C and its easy high 12s.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Well right now GM is fucusing all there attention on the attention on the 6th gen Camaro. The 5th Gen was just the intro. The 6th gen will tell the tale with its smaller platform. Stylewise they best better get it right. Not only that the V6s could be running low 13s as is with 500lb less weight. Add a Turbo or S/C and its easy high 12s.
Both the Camaro and Mustang had better lose a ton of weight! Keep hearing the next gen Mustang in a year and a half will shed 300lbs. If the Camaro can lose 500lbs. they may finally be close in weight. All I know is my 2007 Saleen comes in at 3,550lbs. So the trend of getting fatter and fatter needs to stop! Lol.
:lol:

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
and it has about 475hp and 450lbs or torque.:eek:
Whats Chevy gonna do??

475hp Supercharged V6 2012 Shelby GTS Test Drive - YouTube
Let you buy an SS, have it tuned and still smoke it for less money.

Base V6 mustang 23K
Shelby package (no charger) 10K (9995)
Supercharger package 9195

So about 43K without taxes for a base model stang and base model supercharged shelby if you stay away from the other "options". Start with a modestly optioned V6 and add all the brake upgrades and you end up over ZL1 base with no chance against it.

·
Registered
356 Posts

It doesn't really matter if YOU hate it...When the original Z/28 came out, it used and/or offered components that were also considered radical in its day and in some cases were only available on the Z/28.

Bottom line, is just because YOU don't like it, doesn't mean it desecrates the name. The Z/28 was a trend setter, and Chevrolet will have the opportunity to once again set a trend. If they choose to do it with a forced induction 6 cylinder, I for one will applaud them...and likely buy one. Others will hate it. I personally don't care if it has a 6 or 8 cylinder, as long has it offers performance that we would expect in a Z/28. In fact, here is something else that may irritate some. What if they were to couple the f/i 6 cylinder with a dual clutch 6 speed manual. It would be a first for this market segment and would certainly be a trend setter.

Comparing that to a GTO is apples and oranges. There was nothing about the latest GTO that tied it back to the original GTO. Not a problem the Z/28 will have.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts