Modern Camaro Forums banner

My 5th Gen Story

3K views 28 replies 24 participants last post by  ex-SS-ve 
#1 ·
I told Octane via a PM convo, but I think it's a cool story for everyone to hear. I'm not telling it for any reason other than how much my car means to me and why I love it so much.

It all started back on October 5th 2008. I had just got off work and we (all of my friends which also work at the same place) were just sitting outside talking. It was cold that night so we decided to call it a little sooner than normal. My friend needed a ride home so I offered to take him. After dropping him off I took a state route home. It's only 1 lane both ways and the speed limit is 55mph...and that night my life would be changed forever.

A car went left of center hitting me head on. I had zero reaction time whatsoever. I awoke in the wreckage with a firefighter telling me I'd be ok and not to move. I was pinned in the car under the dashboard for over 45min. They had to cut the roof off and pull the car apart in order to get me out. I felt no pain throughout this entire process so I thought I would be fine. Upon getting me out of the car onto a stretcher a paramedic told me they were going to airlift me to University Hospital in Cincinnati...that's when my heart sank. They don't bring helicopters in for nothing. Something had to be seriously wrong.

Jeremy, the firefighter in the back seat telling me I'd be ok.

I ended up with a broken left femur, broken left foot (every bone), and a compound fracture on my right tibia and fibia. One surgery and a blood transfusion later I had titanium rods in both legs and could not walk.

The other car had a driver and 3 passengers all underage. The driver had a cracked rib and one of the passengers had a chipped tooth. The other 2 were completely uninjured.

I was in a rehab hospital for a month and I was in a wheelchair for a total of 2 months. I got on crutches around the end of November and started walking without them in January.

Today I'm pretty much back to normal minus a few insane looking scars on my legs. I'm really lucky to be alive. I got my insurance settlement in July and had my new 2010 Camaro in August. Never in a million years would I have ever dreamed of owning a 5th Gen Camaro. I went through alot to get to this point, but every time I look out the window I'm reminded of all the hard work I had to put into recovering from my accident.

If this is in the wrong forum feel free to move it.

See less See more
#2 ·
WOW...glad you made it through the ordeal. Car accidents are no joke, you don't realize the carnage and your mortality until you're in one.

If you're ever in NY, I'll buy you a Guinness.
:cheers:

#9 ·
Glad to hear you're ok man. I don't know what they teach in Driver's Ed these days, but it's getting ridiculous. I hate people who don't use blinkers or text or talk on their cell phones while driving (exception bluetooth).

Nice ride, glad you're alive to enjoy it.

#14 ·
Thanks for all the kind words guys :)

Trust me I'm thoroughly enjoying my new ride :)

#15 ·
I'm glad to see you came out of that wreck alive and were able to rehabilitate. I'd imagine those Cavaliers aren't the best vehicles to get in a head-on collision in. If you don't mind me asking; what kind of vehicle hit you?

BTW. You don't have to worry too much when driving your new Camaro. Judging by the crash pics I've seen a few Camaros in, you're driving a tank that will keep you safe in a collision. Have fun and be safe.

#20 ·
Wow, that is one heck of a story...glad you're still here with us. And I hope the kids driving the car that hit you recieved a very severe punishment from the law.

#22 ·
Wow doesn't even say it, that is absolutely amazing that you were able to overcome all of your injuries. You are an inspiration for anyone to keep trying and work through problems that life throws at us. Thank you for sharing this and enjoy that car for many many years to come :)

#24 ·
wow what a story, i actually had a similar thing happen to me, i hydroplaned my 2002 camaro v6 into a utility pole doing the speed limit on a very rural; road in NJ, my head went through the windshield and all, i wasnt wearing my seatbelt, which is a mistake i will not make again. the camaro was totaled, about 15 days later i got my 5th gen http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=63926566&albumId=2997136

the 5th gen can be seen here

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=63926566&albumId=2997169

#25 ·
Thanks for all the support guys :)

Those pics are insane. I'm glad you're still here too.

#28 ·
Amen to that! Wear your seatbelts!

You really have no idea how important it is until you meet the person that pulled you out of the wreckage and he tells you "as soon as I got out of my vehicle the first thing that went through my head was: if this person wasn't wearing a seatbelt and airbags deployed they're dead..."

#29 ·
good thing you survived that one. when things like this happen it really changes your outlook on life. i had a pretty bad one back in 2004 . 4 cars were involved and unfortunately my beloved 1995 z28 was one of the vehicles lost in it. it sucked but it gave me some time to focus on the things in life that really mattered.:thumbsup:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.