Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to be nice and let him [Tyson; Dachshund] sleep in bed with us last night. He usually stays in bed until I am ready to leave for work, at which point I take him outside to do his business. This morning I noticed a bunch of little black things in the sheets. I realized this was the flea larvae and that we had some problems. I noticed he had been acting funny the past couple of days, and my fiance says that she thought she saw a bug on him the other evening.

I put a dose of Frontline on him before I went to work. I also picked up some flea shampoo, comb and flea bombs. He got a bath this evening, I'm doing a crap load of laundry, and I've vacuumed the floors three times. The poor guy has all these little red bite marks on the underside of him. I even grabbed an adult flea running through his hair.

I haven't bombed the apartment yet since it says you need to leave for two hours. I don't know what else to do, but I'm really paranoid about the whole situation. Another problem is that it's homecoming weekend at PSU, but now we've got to stay here since no one can watch him and no kennel will take him. I've got two days to sell a pair of tickets! Geez!

/endrant.

Anyone else have to deal with this?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Yea my dog (Moose, American Bulldog) recently got fleas for a second time, before we found out he got them from the groomer, we bombed the areas he stayed in alot, the small chair he has and his bed, but somehow about 3 months later they came back, idk what to do, but so far the second time around its looking better, we got a pet safe anti tick and flea spray for is chair but his bed we just ended up throwing out, we just ordered him a new one. we also put a liquid on his back it absorbs through the skin and that helps alot too.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
The best thing you can really do is apply the flea resistant stuff to his skin. (theres a tube that you squeeze the stuff out of between the shoulder blades to the tail bone)

but you gotta bomb the house too, or the fleas will just come back

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Bomb is a bad idea!

Had stray/feral cats tear through a crawl space under my house. They had fleas, hence so did my yard and house. I had over 100 bites on my legs. Bite the bullet and call the exterminator! I tried sprays. I tried powders. Anything with boric acid (20 mule team borax detergent) is helpful. I spend several weekends spreading this detergent (and straight boric acid from the pet store) on my carpet and using a push broom to work it into the carpet. (All 4000 square feet of it!) I had to treat the lawns, cement, garage etc. I chose the exterminator finally when the I thought I was close, but still had one or two on me. He came, sprayed the house, I had to leave for two hours, but no nearly as messy as a bomb. Week and a half, no sign of them (knocks on wood). The pet store told me if I had a pet that front line would take care of it in a few days as the fleas need food. Once your dog is protected, they fleas will continue to commit suicide. Since I have no pet, not a theory I could try. Bombs require no pilot light, no power source that cycles on and off, and MAJOR clean up after. Just my $0.14. Hope it helps and good luck!

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Just want to add if you have an infestation problem, that will have to be addressed as well. Comfortis will protect the dog, but if fleas are rampant in the house, that's a whole 'nother issue.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The best thing you can really do is apply the flea resistant stuff to his skin. (theres a tube that you squeeze the stuff out of between the shoulder blades to the tail bone)
That's the Frontline stuff. We usually do that once a month, but we slacked off during our move. :(

Bomb is a bad idea!
So the bomb is messy? I know it mentions covering food and things, but it's that bad?

The other problem is that it's not a house -- it's an apartment building. I am going to contact the management office to let them know about this and maybe they can send Terminix over.

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts
Sounds like you are doing the right things. I'm not a fan of the bomb either.

In the past I have taken the dog to the groomers for a flea bath. While he is gone, vaccum and CLEAN the house, launder ALL towels, linens, etc that have been out and exposed. Wipe down (clean) all hard floor surfaces. Pick up the dog, give them a dose of Frontline and you SHOULD be OK.

If you have a yard, you will need to cover the grass etc with the proper product as well.

Good Luck :D

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In the past I have taken the dog to the groomers for a flea bath.
Ah, I didn't think about that. We scrubbed him real well last night (not sure what the groomer would do better), but this morning there were some of those little black larvae things in his bed. We have washed all sheets and blankets and everything he is in contact with.

Terminix is coming tomorrow, so I am going to hold off on considering the bomb until they stop by.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts
Ah, I didn't think about that. We scrubbed him real well last night (not sure what the groomer would do better), but this morning there were some of those little black larvae things in his bed. We have washed all sheets and blankets and everything he is in contact with.

Terminix is coming tomorrow, so I am going to hold off on considering the bomb until they stop by.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.
Yep, they tend to to a better job, but mostly it gets the animal off of the premises while you can clean it properly :D

·
Registered
746 Posts
Good Luck with it, if you love your little one as much as my wife loves ours, I'm sure you'll do the right things, like Over Anxious stated, seems like your during what you can, Good luck, I'm sure all will be fine in a few days.

·
Registered
129 Posts
there is a pill that vets give animals when they come in and stay in the kennels, its kills all fleas instantly on the animal and keeps them flea free for a day or so, within that day or so is the best time to give them whatever flea treatment you use or your vet recommends as they are already flea free. after that, def get an exterminator in there. I moved into a room in my frat house and we hadnt had the exterminator in there for the summer, as soon as i walked into the room, almost all the way up to my knees was just black... all fleas. it was horrible. i bombed the room twice in one day, did nothing. i covered it in boric acid, helped, but didnt solve problem. exterminator came in, and no more fleas.

·
Registered
353 Posts
get the drops that you rub into the skin from your vet it gets absorbed into the skin and bloodstream and kills the fleas. They jump on but they don't jump off dead! dead!dead! works great!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
746 Posts
get the drops that you rub into the skin from your vet it gets absorbed into the skin and bloodstream and kills the fleas. They jump on but they don't jump off dead! dead!dead! works great!!:thumbsup:
Thats Frontline, works great at preventing

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I have a Maltese (white hair so I can see them very easy). We have flea problems bad but I do live in the south. I use frontline and flea shampoos and if i do see a fleas on her I clean everything. Thank God it's getting cold so I won't have as much problem with them

Reminder: Make sure you throw your comforter in the dryer on the hottest setting as long as possible, as well as, your pillows. They will go right back to the sheets if you don't. Learned that the hard way.

Good Luck

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Reminder: Make sure you throw your comforter in the dryer on the hottest setting as long as possible, as well as, your pillows. They will go right back to the sheets if you don't. Learned that the hard way.
We'll do that tonight. Thanks!

·
Registered
219 Posts
The black specks aren't larvae. It's flea poop (dried blood).

Give all of your bedding a good wash & dry, and treat the dog with Frontline/Advantage/Revolution/flea application of your choice, vacuum regularly, etc. It might take a few months. Also, consider treating your dog for tapeworm. (Talk to your vet.)

http://www.petplace.com/article-printer-friendly.aspx?id=56

1 - 20 of 28 Posts