Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an '05 trailblazer...

Key goes in, ignition no turn. Tried jiggling the steering wheel (which isn't locked, which is weird) and moving the shifter around (which is locked)...nothing.

Any advice? Any GM techs here?

I'm looking for my spare key now, which seems to be AWOL.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Key cylinder is bad or key is bad. Try a new key if that dosent work then you need a new key cylinder.
any work-arounds to get it started or at least get the thing out of park (would be easier to tow).

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
I think you probably shut off the engine while holding a little torque on the steering wheel, which left the front wheels a little skewed. When you took the key out, and the locking pin slid back into place, then the steering column tried to straighten itself out. That put pressure on the locking pin, which made the key hard to turn.

-What I did to fix our Equinox is just wiggling the wheel back and forth an inch or two while I tried to twist the key. That unloaded the pin, and it worked all of a sudden. Hope it works!

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you probably shut off the engine while holding a little torque on the steering wheel, which left the front wheels a little skewed. When you took the key out, and the locking pin slid back into place, then the steering column tried to straighten itself out. That put pressure on the locking pin, which made the key hard to turn.

-What I did to fix our Equinox is just wiggling the wheel back and forth an inch or two while I tried to twist the key. That unloaded the pin, and it worked all of a sudden. Hope it works!
YES...got it started. I think that's what happened because I was turned into a parking spot at a weird angel so my wheels were turned (while picking up chinese food, which is now nice and cold):mad::mad: I went back with my spare key (luckily i was close to home), which at first didn't work...so I lost a bit of my temper (my wife tells me I have anger issues:confused:)...started turning the wheel and the key with a little more authority...and...pop, felt a bit of a click and it started. And now it's fine.

So what do you think...should I worry about it happening again, or just make sure my wheels are straight when turning it off?

I think GM stopped locking the steering wheel on trucks in 2003 or so.
Really? pretty sure mine locks.

thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
I'm curious what is in the ignition on these vehicles????? My Gf had a Series BMW and this happened to be something it did every so often.....The bmw dealer told her to squirt Wd40 in the key hole for a few days straight and work the key slowly back and forth while moving the steering wheel then try and start the car. We did this and it worked.

shrugs

let us know if you ever figure this out im curious whats up :confused:

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm curious what is in the ignition on these vehicles????? My Gf had a Series BMW and this happened to be something it did every so often.....The bmw dealer told her to squirt Wd40 in the key hole for a few days straight and work the key slowly back and forth while moving the steering wheel then try and start the car. We did this and it worked.

shrugs

let us know if you ever figure this out im curious whats up :confused:

it seems fine now...might do the wd40 thing to hopefully keep it from happening again (and try not to leave the wheels turned when I turn it off).:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think GM stopped locking the steering wheel on trucks in 2003 or so.
you're right...I never noticed it didn't lock:confused:

try holding the brake and pulling the shifter out of park then back into park again.
I did try that...I don't think it'll come out of park unless the key is turned.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts