Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Supporting Super Moderator
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I switched my 07 Escalade over to E85 last week.

I have been logging the gallons I use towing my racecar to the track and back for the past 5 weeks running on gassoline. Everytime the gallons I have used has been 9.6-9.7 gallons on gasoline. I always drive as easy as I can and try to save gas on the trip.

Yesterday I was running on E85 and made the same trip to the track. I always take the same route as well. It used 9.6 gallons of E85.

The E85 was $3.199 a gallon. 87 ocatane gas was $4.049.
9.6 gallons of 104 octane E85 cost $30.71
9.6 gallons of 87 octane gas cost $39.35

I am going saturday and see if I get the same results again.
I was really suprised to see it match gas.

If it does it again then it cost 26% more money to run gasoline for me.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
interesting. i've always heard E85 got worse mileage. i'm glad you tested it... i wonder if that was just misinformation spread by the tree huggers who want to do away with the awful internal combustion engines cuz they kill the trees and stuff :lol:

·
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have heard different things and it makes sense that you would get less. I was very shocked that I got the same mpg. I will be sure to post results from the second trip though.

·
Registered
523 Posts
are you mixing your fuels,you must empty your tank as much as pos before refueling with e 85...i dont know why? but i think it will make a definate difference in your mileage.at least it did for my impala

i went 430 some miles on 87 reg.on e85 only went 360 some per tankfull
concider yourself lucky, here in detroit only a few stations carry e 85 and its only 20-30 cents cheaper.

·
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am using pure E85. All the regular gas is out for sure.

After driving around town etc. I do notice a loss in MPG. It seems like not so much while towing for some reason, but cruising around town not towing I did lose some MPG.

·
Registered
330 Posts
wow thats great! they need to make conversion kits more readily available, and reasonably priced.

my landlord uses it in all his vehicles an old s10 like 88,his jeep, motorcycle, i think even in his dixie chopper, but not sure. he swears by the stuff.. says he gets a little less mileage per tank, but costs alot less to fill up, so he is still saving money there.

·
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You guys are lucky. There's no E85 fill-ups in my area :( booo
I just found this one. It was not even on the list of stations. I found it one some small site along with one coming soon on the other side of town.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
wow thats great! they need to make conversion kits more readily available, and reasonably priced.

my landlord uses it in all his vehicles an old s10 like 88,his jeep, motorcycle, i think even in his dixie chopper, but not sure. he swears by the stuff.. says he gets a little less mileage per tank, but costs alot less to fill up, so he is still saving money there.
I hope he realizes the corrosiveness of E85 and the risks he runs of damaging his fuel system running it in no converted vehicles.

·
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You have an Escalade. You're not supposed to worry about gas. :)
LOL, I better not worry I traded my CTS for this.

Even if I were not saving I still would do it. I would much rather spend the money on american fuel rather than imported fuel.

·
Registered
544 Posts
[/QUOTE]Even if I were not saving I still would do it. I would much rather spend the money on american fuel rather than imported fuel.[/QUOTE]

Amen to that! I wish I could use E85 instead of Jockey Juice (just came up with that slang term in my head) :lol:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Remember, E85 DOES burn faster than gasoline, so you will have to fill up more often. But to offset that, even though you fill up about three times a week, instead of once, you will still be saving almost a dollar and fifteen cents per gallon, over gasoline.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts