Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am rarely someone who gripes and moans, in fact I never have.....this is a drop dead gorgeous car, and every bit worth 35k for a V8....but there are some things after talking to dealers today that are very disappointing in my eyes...

1) the HUD is not available until 12/2009. This one makes absolutely ZERO sense to me...this is not new technology.

2) Assuming you want a V8, you now have to upgrade to the RS to get the halo/spoiler/tail lamp and rim package....so slapping the red SS badge will probably tact 4-5k on top of the base 29-30k....this all before taxes and additional costs

3) The ambient lighting is apparently offered on the LEATHER package only. NOT EVERYONE wants leather, especially not in Florida during the summer time...with my summer specific tires.

Now don't get me wrong, I assumed you would pay a tad extra for a cool feature...but now I am buying an EXTERIOR and INTERIOR upgrade for features that really arent all that much to ask. We are shown this ignition video, and now I come to find that, THAT thick sound, with THAT interior will only be available on a V8 with an RS/SS option...oh and some of the options arent available until December of 2009. Are you kidding me....This is exactly what was said that certain features trickle up the ladder when you build a vehicle online...well apparently that isn't true

Ok now that I have had my rant...I apologize, but I needed to get it off my chest, I really dont wish to wait another 16 months because I want some small feature that is already been in circulation for quite some time.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Oh great, I didn't realize the lighting came with leather only. Sigh, that sort of kills it for me. My thoughts on the appearance and bells/whistles of a new Camaro were "Hey, I can actually pick out all the details instead of inheriting the first owner's bad taste!"

I hope they realize that making people wait till December for some of these options isn't going to look good for sales numbers :\

·
Registered
31 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh great, I didn't realize the lighting came with leather only. Sigh, that sort of kills it for me. My thoughts on the appearance and bells/whistles of a new Camaro were "Hey, I can actually pick out all the details instead of inheriting the first owner's bad taste!"

I hope they realize that making people wait till December for some of these options isn't going to look good for sales numbers :\
This is exactly why Mustang is competition....I think mustang's interior is trashy plastic, the exterior is played out, and the performance is sub par...but by God you can at least get certain aspects and accessories you want without having to give an arm and a leg or purchase a whole **** package.

It is thing Ford DOES right that GM seems to never grasp is being able to detail each and every aspect. I am now forced into buying an interior package JUST so I can get that cool ambient lighting...I am now forced to get the SS/RS that will probably run me at least 34-35k to get a spoiler/tail lamps/halos??!?! ....on top of that I have to wait till 12/2009 for certain accessories? I just find this very, very disappointing. After all this wait, all this time. It kills me to say this...cause I was born a Chevy man...but this is exactly why I walked out of three chevy dealerships tryin to buy a silverado.

This is a gorgeous car....beautiful inside and out, exceptional performance..but ya know what, dont preach and show videos of accessories that arent even available at launch...in fact...a YEAR after launch.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I am rarely someone who gripes and moans, in fact I never have.....this is a drop dead gorgeous car, and every bit worth 35k for a V8....but there are some things after talking to dealers today that are very disappointing in my eyes...

1) the HUD is not available until 12/2009. This one makes absolutely ZERO sense to me...this is not new technology.

2) Assuming you want a V8, you now have to upgrade to the RS to get the halo/spoiler/tail lamp and rim package....so slapping the red SS badge will probably tact 4-5k on top of the base 29-30k....this all before taxes and additional costs

3) The ambient lighting is apparently offered on the LEATHER package only. NOT EVERYONE wants leather, especially not in Florida during the summer time...with my summer specific tires.

Now don't get me wrong, I assumed you would pay a tad extra for a cool feature...but now I am buying an EXTERIOR and INTERIOR upgrade for features that really arent all that much to ask. We are shown this ignition video, and now I come to find that, THAT thick sound, with THAT interior will only be available on a V8 with an RS/SS option...oh and some of the options arent available until December of 2009. Are you kidding me....This is exactly what was said that certain features trickle up the ladder when you build a vehicle online...well apparently that isn't true

Ok now that I have had my rant...I apologize, but I needed to get it off my chest, I really dont wish to wait another 16 months because I want some small feature that is already been in circulation for quite some time.
I concur. I know GM is in business to sell cars. We have waited patiently for this car. Now, instead of 7 months, we are looking at 16. Apparently GM has decided to capitilize on those people willing to have the car immediately, regardless of the options. I do not want to be the "guy" who has "the cool car" without the options becasue I had a bad case of the "wants".

As I have stated in other threads, I was looking for the high-end V8, preferably super-charged. Now it looks as if I will have to wait until 2010 - after the convertible - to see if GM is going to roll-out a z28, or whatever they may call it. Then they may not, but in 2010 I will be able to have the HUD and some other cool things - for which the technology already exsists.

Does the Challenger have it? Or even the Charger which I like more (not more than the Camaro).

GM talks about getting into the "muscle car" arena. We all know that they are late to the game, AGAIN. I was willing to wait becasue GM wanted to do it "right". For the most part they did. The car is exquisite and sexy as hell. yet GM decides to tempt us like that woman who lets you think you have a chance. You do your best to impress her, but then something better comes along, and she is gone.

While the HUD is a small thing, it is also an easy thing. Hopefully they will fix it. I keep hearing you will be suprised. So far I have, but I am not sure it was a good one. Too many small details are missing. :BangHead:

·
Registered
1,054 Posts

Whoaaa....wait a sec. How do we know the RS package will be 4-5K more? Let's not jump to conclusions! The Camaro isn't on the assembly line yet, so I'm sure any pricing or option changes are fluid. Let's calm down and take a deep breath...;)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Whoaaa....wait a sec. How do we know the RS package will be 4-5K more? Let's not jump to conclusions! The Camaro isn't on the assembly line yet, so I'm sure any pricing or option changes are fluid. Let's calm down and take a deep breath...;)
Indeed you are correct sir...

I am making assumptions on other similar GM vehicles. It was said today there would be the 1SS and 2SS, coupled with the RS appearance package. Throw in HID, spoiler, rim package, leather/interior upgrade package to receive the ambient lightin...those 4 things alone would put any other car on GMs list 2k+ the base

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
They also said this morning in one of the chats, that the SS would have the spoiler without the RS package.

I too am a little disappointed about the HUD...doesn't make much sense to delay it until the end of the year.

·
Registered
118 Posts
A base R/T challenger with all the normal stuff is 29,995 Thats 18 inch wheels /cloth/ tilt telescope/pw/pdl/ cruise /raised hood/ painted rear spoiler/375hp auto/am fm single disc/and some other minor stuff. This all i realy want in the camaro but it sounds like it will be more with less such as the hood and spoiler. This is verry dissapointing that now the z28 will be the more expensive car[ if they even build one] over the SS . So it looks like i will have to get the base SS model and will it be around 29,995 ?

·
Registered
141 Posts
This just helps me make my decision.... I was looking at getting one next spring just to be one of the first few to have one - strictly a case of "the wants".

Next May when I finish college I'll be getting a SERIOUS monthly pay raise, (50%) but it will take until July to show up on my pay stub.....I can't get the financing until this pay raise shows up on paper.

I guess this means I'll be waiting until December 09' to get mine because I want that HUD. I'll take the leather in order to get the ambient lighting, especially if I can get it in Blue. If only GM would make some sort of Royal/Metallic Blue, then that would be awesome - the ambient lighting would match the exterior color.... If they don't come up with this color type, then I'm torn between the Silver Ice Metallic & Dark Blue..... I hate having to make decisions!!!

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts

Amen! Can't believe the accountants jumped in and destroyed all the fun.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Im not going to wait just for availability of minor options. Here the way I look at it:

-The HUD module prolly will be available via GMPP or Parts as a add-on that plugs into the space it was designed for.

-Same for the Ambient lighting. The way I look at it is, when I get leather seats; GM throws in the lighting to accent it.

-If the RS package is the heft of the gadget cost that normal brings up the sticker on any car; then a SS (unloaded) prolly can be had for closer to Mustang GT cost rather than the Cahlly R/Ts cost.

- I do agree, though on this: GM should of made it possible to pick singluar options like HIDs. I think they should sell the RS package cheap than to singluar pick the options. That way it will be a little cheaper to get it all and add incentive to buy the RS option.

·
Registered
523 Posts
very well said jinx,i agree 100% .there will be so many after market things for this car in the near future.ill make mine look the way i want it myself.give me a basic ss.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
But I'm dishing out big cash for a new car. I want the stuff on there from the start. I don't have 3-5k to throw at it after I get it. That's called gas money.

·
Registered
24 Posts
No argument from me that it would be nice to be able to pick and choose and "truly" customize a vehicle. However it is VERY expensive to have a long list of available options. That translates to higher costs across the board. Therefore even if you don't choose certain options-or any options you will be paying a bigger price tag.

If I recall correctly, one major reason the ambient lighting is available only with leather is because of the ineffectiveness of the lighting with the cloth interior.

As far as the RS package is concerned I think grouping options together was the smart move. Before worrying about changing the color of your wheels because you want a spoiler wait and see what GM offers with accessories. If the RS package consisted of a few new badges and some choices for you to pick and choose from (would they be called optional options?) then it would almost defeat the purpose. If everyone could get an RS/SS for a few hundred dollars it would have no appeal to me.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Now that I have had some time to calm down...I suppose it is a matter of waiting until the prices are released. Hell, the SS/RS may only be 31-33k, just have to see but I do have some doubts about that.

I just wish it was a little easier to pick specific options, this is my dream car...I want to make it perfect top to bottom. Including sunroof...ambient lighting...all the way down to halos, and I dont think I should have to be subject to package upgrades.

I am however pleased that the dual stripe is included as a factory option.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I just wish it was a little easier to pick specific options, this is my dream car...I want to make it perfect top to bottom. Including sunroof...ambient lighting...all the way down to halos, and I dont think I should have to be subject to package upgrades.
I completely agree with you. I've never bought a new car before... in fact, I would be the first person in my family since my mom got her 1976 Plymouth Duster to be getting a brand new car. For a Camaro lover + perfectionist, this is a huge deal. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts