Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any experience with N2O and the LS3? I was curious about the strength of the bottom end and how much the motor will take. Were there any issues like broken ring lands on the pistons?

Thanks in advance,
-John

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
I think all of the LS motors have a problem warping heads with too much Nitrous. I knew a guy with a 4th gen SS that had a stock 6.0L Iron Block with LS6 heads. His setup was all custom designed by NX (he wasn't talkin trash...Mike from NX regularly came with him to different events...It was Wichita Falls). Anyway, he warped heads like a sonofabitch, but he was running over 500 hp on the bottle with the stock 6.0L bottom.

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't understand how he warped heads with N20. Could you elaborate and how big was the shot?

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
From what I understand (and what I remember), it has to do with even the best N20 systems having a tendency to run lean and aluminum heads are supposedly a little more susceptible to warping.

Also, he didn't run N20 with a "shot." He turned it on and from what I remember, it was setup kinda like fuel injection. Timed injections dependent on engine rpm.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
From what I understand (and what I remember), it has to do with even the best N20 systems having a tendency to run lean and aluminum heads are supposedly a little more susceptible to warping.

Also, he didn't run N20 with a "shot." He turned it on and from what I remember, it was setup kinda like fuel injection. Timed injections dependent on engine rpm.
He probably had some sort of progressive controller for it, although still should have had some sort of HP rating on it. N20 definitely requires good fuel pressure and an upgraded fuel system if your running a decent sized kit.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
He probably had some sort of progressive controller for it, although still should have had some sort of HP rating on it. N20 definitely requires good fuel pressure and an upgraded fuel system if your running a decent sized kit.
Progressive, that's what Mike called it. John's car was the test car for it. I'm not sure if they ever worked out the fuel mixture though.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Progressive, that's what Mike called it. John's car was the test car for it. I'm not sure if they ever worked out the fuel mixture though.
guess his test car didn't work out so well :BangHead:

a progressive controller basically just gradually opens up the solenoid, so you don't get the whole shot at once...works better for traction and a little easier on your drivetrain.

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
Nowadays having nitrous without some tuning is usually not a good idea.
For some reason they'll run lean on the juice, and lean + nitrous = BOOM.

A stock LS3 should be able to take on a 150-200hp shot without modification.
However anything more than a 50hp shot, and I'd certainly want some kind of tune or controller so it doesn't run lean.

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
guess his test car didn't work out so well :BangHead:

a progressive controller basically just gradually opens up the solenoid, so you don't get the whole shot at once...works better for traction and a little easier on your drivetrain.
Freak, the solenoids do not open gradually. They are either open or shut, never partially. If there is an electric current flowing through the coil, the solenoid will open. A progressive nitrous controller sends a 'pulsed' current to the fuel/nitrous solenoids, thus opening and shutting them.

Nowadays having nitrous without some tuning is usually not a good idea.
For some reason they'll run lean on the juice, and lean + nitrous = BOOM.

A stock LS3 should be able to take on a 150-200hp shot without modification.
However anything more than a 50hp shot, and I'd certainly want some kind of tune or controller so it doesn't run lean.
Agreed on the tune. I'm glad to hear the bottom ends can handle a 150-200 shot.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Freak, the solenoids do not open gradually. They are either open or shut, never partially. If there is an electric current flowing through the coil, the solenoid will open. A progressive nitrous controller sends a 'pulsed' current to the fuel/nitrous solenoids, thus opening and shutting them.
OK.;) but it produces the same effect, I assume.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Yes, although we're only talking miliseconds, it does have the ability to 'feather' the shot up to the point of full spray.
gottcha:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This article from Octane's thread verifies the strength of the engine internals for some serious spray!:roxor:

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Depends on what type of kit you use. All the LS engines (as with most V8's)are pretty safe for a 150 wet shot from a single nozzle. Over 150 is not recommended with a single nozzle without tuning. I would not go over 75 with a dry shot. I have seen up to 500 with a progressive shot and tune. The bottom can take it a backfire or lean out it cannot. I have never heard of a warped head with N2O. Burned pistons or broken ring land yes. Something else happended if someone warped the head. You'd be fine with a single wet nozzle loaded for 150. I had a friend who sprayed 200 for well over a year without problems. I've use it on other stock or semi stock V8's up to 150 with no problems.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Don't forget about the intake blowout. The back of the intake manifold, as it's a composite material, has been known to literally blow out. I'm not a nitrous guru whatsoever, so I'm sure someone could elaborate on this occurrence, but I'm sure it has to do with some sort of backfire. I'm sure with proper tuning, this is not an issue.

I will not be running any power adder. I think it's something like "all throttle - no bottle" ;)

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nitrous backfire occurs when there is ignition of the fuel and nitrous in the intake manifold due to spark from the combustion chamber coming in contact with the volatile mixture through an open intake valve. If the proper valvetrain components are in place then it should not be a problem. Crappy springs (valve float) and cheap valves (bent stem causing sticking valves) are the leading causes.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I sprayed 150 dry shot on a stock LT1 engine. The LSx engines like nitrous, I ran a inline boost pump and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. I sprayed 225 dry shot with stock rods, stock crank, ross racing pistons this time. I have never blown anything up on nitrous. I did blow a head gasket once.

Im impressed that a stock bottom end for the LSx engines will take 150-200 shot!!

I would spray but probably a WET system this time!

·
Registered
269 Posts
The intake blow out from backfires..........I have NOT yet seen that on an LSx engine.

I have seen it ALOT on the mustang intakes 96+!!:lol:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts