Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I get a nail in my tire, tire pressure dropped to 20 psi but has not gone totally flat. Called Chevy dealer and can't get in until 6/25. Guess I won't be driving it this beautiful weekend. Argh!!!!

Should I replace the tire or can I get it plugged?

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
Plug it for now. Won't hurt a thing. I've run plugged tires on my SS for thousands of miles.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Well, you can plug it with the correct type of plug that has an inner "sealing head" to it, the regular plugs can be pulled loose. Otherwise I would have it dismounted and patched from the inside...

Here is the ONLY type of plug I use:

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I guess I will try to get it plugged tomorrow.

I will be calling Firestone/Bridgestone tomorrow morning to try and get it plugged. If someone in the NJ Monmouth/Ocean County area knows of a better place, do tell. I hope they do the plugs suggested above. What kind of plug do I ask for?

Thanks again all for the input and answers.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Ok, I guess I will try to get it plugged tomorrow.

I will be calling Firestone/Bridgestone tomorrow morning to try and get it plugged. If someone in the NJ Monmouth/Ocean County area knows of a better place, do tell. I hope they do the plugs suggested above. What kind of plug do I ask for?

Thanks again all for the input and answers.
You want a "mushroom head" style plug or just have it patched from the inside. This is how most shops want to do it anyway...

·
Support MC & Troops
11,804 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
This happened with me on my 2LT front tire in which I had replaced at the dealership - they didn't even want to touch it for liability reasons. Replaced it instead. I plugged my 2LT rear tire and it lasted for thousands of miles. I only had to purchase a plug kit from the auto store. Took me less than 3 minutes to complete the job. In the past I had done the same thing with a Corvette I used to own and had no issues. Are you still running the original tires on the car?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for input. I went and got it plugged (from the inside). $45 on plug beats $265 for a new tire (and I'm assuming that doesn't include mounting and balancing and disposal).

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Glad you got it fixed...but holy crap that's a crazy amount of money! :eek: I get all my tires fixed at Discount Tire because they do it for free...even if you didn't purchase the tires from them.
Free? wow, how do I get a discount tire in my area?

·
Bully Proof
7,086 Posts
Free? wow, how do I get a discount tire in my area?
They go as fair north as NC but it looks like you're SOL in VA. :p

Discount Tire Locator

Another thing I love about the place is they have a dedicated bay for airing up your tires. You just pull in and one of the techs will properly inflate all four tires and send you on your way in minutes...for free.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
They go as fair north as NC but it looks like you're SOL in VA. :p

Discount Tire Locator

Another thing I love about the place is they have a dedicated bay for airing up your tires. You just pull in and one of the techs will properly inflate all four tires and send you on your way in minutes...for free.
:nutkick:

I get pretty good service out of the local chain I use for my other cars but I dread the thought of parking the Camaro in their lot ... my next issue is I still have Nitro in my tires (and I will say once I got them adjusted once I have had NO variation in my tire pressure) and no one in town does that (small town cant support it) ... I think there is a new place near work, but haven't needed to check yet.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Plug/patch or replace? Depends on the tire manufacture.

On my 2010 Camaro SS I am running Yokohama Parada Spec-X that I bought from Discount Tire September, 2011 and had 23,500 miles on them

A few weeks ago I ran over a bolt and it punctured my front/left tire so I had Discount Tire repair it. When I asked Discount Tire about the repair affecting the speed rating Discount Tire said it had no affect.
I checked the Yokohama website and it said that any repair voids the speed rating and that the tire should only be driven 85 mph max. I shot Discount Tire an email letting them know what I had found out and they said they would look into it.
A week later Discount Tire got back to me saying that they stood by their policy but would replace the tire under warranty. Fair enough, I mentioned that I would like to buy another Parada Spec-X so I would have the same mileage on both front tires. Today I went in to get them balanced & mounted and Discount Tire did both front tires for free saying they wanted to keep me happy.

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
Discount Tire is THE stand-up tire vendor on MC!

·
Premium Member
4,382 Posts
Plug/patch or replace? Depends on the tire manufacture.

On my 2010 Camaro SS I am running Yokohama Parada Spec-X that I bought from Discount Tire September, 2011 and had 23,500 miles on them

A few weeks ago I ran over a bolt and it punctured my front/left tire so I had Discount Tire repair it. When I asked Discount Tire about the repair affecting the speed rating Discount Tire said it had no affect.
I checked the Yokohama website and it said that any repair voids the speed rating and that the tire should only be driven 85 mph max. I shot Discount Tire an email letting them know what I had found out and they said they would look into it.
A week later Discount Tire got back to me saying that they stood by their policy but would replace the tire under warranty. Fair enough, I mentioned that I would like to buy another Parada Spec-X so I would have the same mileage on both front tires. Today I went in to get them balanced & mounted and Discount Tire did both front tires for free saying they wanted to keep me happy.
I have had the same results with Discount Tire stores. Does not matter where I am, I get the same treatment..........all great!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
How often you get nail or screw in your tires? I currently my Camaro have 8500 miles and already collected 4 nails/screws in the rear tires. I've been driving on the same roads for over 4 years with other cars and never had so many incidents. I was told that it got to do with the wide tires....Whats is your experience?

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
little under 14000 miles, no nails ... what kind of roads do you drive on?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts