Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this article on the NASCAR website tonight and thought it was interesting. Can't wait to see the Camaro, Mustang and Callengers out on the track again. Should be pretty cool seeing racing like the old Trans AM series back in the late 60's and early 70's.

RICHMOND, Va. -- Monday and Tuesday a significant step in the development of the "Car of Tomorrow" for the Nationwide Series happens at Richmond International Raceway when six prototypes of the vehicle that eventually will replace the current car are tested.

Each of the four manufacturers currently competing in the series were invited to bring up to two cars, with drivers of their choice, to the first "official" test for the car that appears to be slated to be put into use at the start of the 2010 season.

Roush Fenway Racing plans to have two Fords at the test, with drivers Carl Edwards, David Ragan, Erik Darnell and Colin Braun slated to get seat time. Chip Ganassi Racing has prepared a Dodge chassis that will be wheeled by Ganassi development driver Bryan Clauson and former CGR driver David Stremme.

Chevrolet will be represented by Richard Childress Racing, using Scott Wimmer as its test driver; and Johnny Davis Motorsports, with Morgan Shepherd and Danny Efland sharing the seat. Toyota plans to have a single Camry, constructed by Michael Waltrip Racing, at the test with David Reutimann driving it Monday and development driver Josh Wise on Tuesday.

Of the four manufacturers currently racing in the series, only Toyota has announced its model for the Nationwide new car, the Camry that currently races in both the Sprint Cup and Nationwide series. The new car type would include Chevrolet's new Camaro, Ford's Mustang and Dodge's new Challenger.

"NASCAR was looking for a pony car, or a car that's different than what we have on the Cup Series," said Laerte Zatta, Toyota program manager for the Craftsman Truck and Nationwide series. "But we don't have a model that is very different. The Camry, Corolla and Avalon are very similar in design, so we decided to just go with the Camry.

"We were very open with NASCAR, because the other manufacturers were considering different models, but we don't have much option."

When the so-called "new car" began its development, team owner Jack Roush ultimately lamented his organization's delay in "getting up to speed" with the car's development.

But in the case of the Nationwide version of the car, which will use the same 110-inch wheelbase chassis that has been raced in the Cup Series since early in the 2007 season on short tracks and road courses and on every track this season, Roush Fenway jumped into it from the beginning and according to several garage sources has already "successfully" tested its car at Iowa Speedway.

On the other hand, at least two teams with big presences in the Nationwide Series, current owner point leader Joe Gibbs Racing and Rusty Wallace Racing, have not even begun versions of the car.

Steve Desouza, JGR vice president for the Nationwide Series, said his organization was concerned about detracting from its championship effort, but that it could have a car ready for the second planned test of the car in about a month following the Cup and Nationwide weekend at Charlotte on Oct. 10-11.

Davis, who has fielded at least two cars for virtually every Nationwide race this season despite a constant sponsorship scramble, said his prototype was assembled after investing "about 490 hours and a lot of money."

"This is where this series is going, and we're in this for the long haul," Davis said. "So once we were convinced that this was what was going to happen, we decided to do it and get in on the beginning of this car's development."

·
Premium Member
2,774 Posts
I think your going to see the Nationwide series become a very popular race more than the Sprint cup in some ways. IF..and I said IF the cars stay true to what they look like and not watered down cookie cutters.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Wow...ANOTHER body with stickers on it....you know the bodies are all going to be same....thats how NASCAR does it. Make the cars 100% identical in everyway,(same exact HP, exact wheelbase, exact weight, height etc...) B O R I N G

Wanna see racing? Buy the car off the showroom. Add a Roll Cage for Driver safety. MAKE them run it with 91 octane gas, and in the driveline configuration from the manufacturer.

Let the teams tweak the motors as they see fit. BUT they have to remain emissions compliant AND run that 91 octane as mentioned above....Then we will see some technology grow and probably see some very interesting racing too...

Camaro, Mustang, Challenger, and whatever boring/mundane car Toyota will enter...

I think if they (NASCAR) did it this way....race on Sunday and literally buy the car at the showroom on Monday...

·
Registered
101 Posts
or Iroc racing with the new Cam build another Iroc would be killer
Naa...no IROC racing...thats what NASCAR has become now. Why they let teams build their own cars is beyond me. NASCAR should build EVERY GM, Ford, Dodge, and TOYOTA car and then hand it over to the teams for their stickers. There! Controlled. The only thing the teams get to tinker with is the suspension. nothing else...

You can't tell I am bitter about how lame NASCAR has become do you? ;)

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Naa...no IROC racing...thats what NASCAR has become now. Why they let teams build their own cars is beyond me. NASCAR should build EVERY GM, Ford, Dodge, and TOYOTA car and then hand it over to the teams for their stickers. There! Controlled. The only thing the teams get to tinker with is the suspension. nothing else...

-Toyota
Toyota should go die.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
9,152 Posts

Personally I love the COT format, this puts driver against driver more than the whining there was between different body styles. This is how racing should be :cool:

I found a link to the article from the Original Poster :D

http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/headlines/bg/09/08/cot.test/index.html

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I agree its gotten Very lame I havent Watched or been to a race Since earnhardt Srs Death
Granted, the world lost a great sports icon when Earnhardt passed, but if the "Intimidator" didn't make a race exciting, those were the days when 1 or 2 cars finished on the lead lap - sometimes the winner was 3-4 laps ahead of the field. Sure, that driver had a better car, but with the current car, I think the racing is better.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
There should be 2 different series.

1) Keep Nascar Sprint Cup like it is. They drive the same car, and it proves who the best drivers are.

2) New Nationwide Series. Have the manufacturers battle it out, to prove who can make the most winning cars, that are as close to stock as possible.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Personally I love the COT format, this puts driver against driver more than the whining there was between different body styles. This is how racing should be :cool:

I found a link to the article from the Original Poster :D

http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/headlines/bg/09/08/cot.test/index.html

Naa...not me....If the format is to put driver to driver. then why have these awesome pit crews, engine programs, suspension program etc...If they are to just race the same **** car? Makes no sense to me.....Its IROC (as mentioned above) racing....Thats driver vs driver driving the exact same car, engine, everything...(read as Current NASCAR racing...read as...B O R I N G)

Sorry....not going to change my mind....NASCAR could be so much better (for me). Despite the fact that it has a HUGE HUGE following.. I am just not one of them. I quit watching the INDY 500 race because of their stupid rules...I wanna see technology and see how it impacts the sport etc...its there....let them exploit it. Ya know?

·
Premium Member
9,152 Posts
I don't intend to change anyones mind, just stating an opinion.
There was so much drama between Ford/GM during the old days of Nascar with the 'they have this and they have that' mentality, I was all for the IROC format where everyone has the same body.

My comment was not limited to driver vs driver, obvoiusly the factors you mention are what makes it a team effort to get the checkered flag. I don't see that ever changing :cool:

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
for ruining NASCAR
for designing Camry
for making the Prius
for building boring cars
...for trying to brainwash the American public into thinking that toyota is just as American as baseball, hotdogs, and apple pie, and that toyota is every American's friend. F**K toyota.:patriot:

Reactions: 3rdGenOwner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts