Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2008/07/2010-camaro-nav.html

The second thing I thought of after seeing the 2010 Camaro’s official interior was “where are they going to put the navigation unit?”

It turns out that the first Camaros to go on sale won’t have one available at all, even as an option. Instead, GM will use its Turn-by-Turn directions, which are downloaded to the car via OnStar and are part of a monthly package owners must pay for.

A traditional navigation system will be offered for the Camaro starting in December 2009. The Camaro goes on sale in early 2009, so there will be many months — and presumably thousands of Camaros on the road — before it becomes an option.

With the incredible growth in the portable navigation market, along with the fact that this is a Camaro, I don’t think many buyers will really feel slighted by the lack of a nav unit. Plus, the stereo display and controls look terrific (check them out below). By the way, that was my first thought when I saw the finished interior.

And did anyone else notice the door lock button is right under the CD slot?

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Oh, but the guy selling his deposit for his 2010 Camaro on EBay says it WILL have a NAV unit....Seach 2010 Camaro on ebay....what a gem.

My material from chevy does not mention a nav.

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
"He couldn't get a clue during clue mating season in a field of clues if you smeared your body in musk and did the clue mating dance."

That quote was from an LXForums member, but I find it very fitting for the 2010 Camaro Ebay seller.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
The door lock/unlock button in the middle actually kinda makes sense. If you think about it, when you are unlocking the "other" door, you are usually looking at the door where the person is standing, so the switch would be right there in front of you, instead of behind you on your door.

Really, though...most people will have it on the key fob, so this switch will not be used that much, unless you are in the car anyways.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was wondering about that - I was hoping for nav & more electronics (hard drive, stereo controls, HUD, performance stats available via the single screen) at least as options...

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
I'm not so sure navigation will be offered at all.
I think a Camaro buyer is more apt to spend $400 on a handheld GPS then $2000 on a built-in navigation system.

Although with OnStar Directions & Connections, you do get a different style of navigation....
It works the same as in the G8:
You get your turn-by-turn information downloaded into the DIC, and it's displayed there right in front of you.

Personally, that's enough for me to not get a navigation system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I like my hand-held gps, but I would like one integrated in the car... granted it's probably too much $$ for a car with the target audience of the Camaro, but at least an option would be nice. Also I can't believe the costs for these electronics would still be so high now days...

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since using turn by turn, I have not used my nav unit much.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a garmin, so I have no need for a factory nav unit.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hmmm which is worth more to me an in dash nav and hud, or 8 months of driving my '10 Camaro. FWIW here is my rough photoshop of nav. The radio display area is a little bigger:

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
I'll take the 10 months. :D

·
8,984 Posts
I have a map and testosterone.

I only need ONE to get me where I am going.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
I have a map and testosterone.

I only need ONE to get me where I am going.

I agree^^^just give me a gas pedal to hammer down.:D

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Hmmm which is worth more to me an in dash nav and hud, or 8 months of driving my '10 Camaro. FWIW here is my rough photoshop of nav. The radio display area is a little bigger:
That actually doesn't look too bad. Still looks retro with a modern feature.

The Challenger's Interior has some alright features, but looks nothing like the old Challenger's. No styling cues or anything were taken. Kinda sad on their part.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
The Challenger's Interior has some alright features, but looks nothing like the old Challenger's. No styling cues or anything were taken. Kinda sad on their part.
Yeah, it kinda looks like the Charger's interior. Oh wait, that's because it IS. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Think of it this way. A nav system is money you will NEVER get back. At least with a good hand held ( I.E Garmin Nuvi 700 series or even a Magellan ) you can move from car to car with minimum expense. Besides, a nav system, imo will take away from the design of the interior. It's like the BMW's. The ones with the nav system just look over crowded when it comes to the center console.
On Star will probably be more than enough. I also think it would make it difficult to include it in a package. People may want some things from the package, but not be willing to spend extra 2k on the nav system so that they can get just a little extra on the side.

Heck, i just want power :) and a Torque gauge LOL

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
As cool as the torque gauge sounds, if I'm in enough throttle to register some serious ft-lbs, it's not likely I'll be looking down at the console.:eek:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts