Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has it been confirmed that Camaro's (specifically 2LT) will have a NAV option at the end of 2009?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
If u r talking about an actual nav screen, dont get ur hopes up. They would need to do a significant change for it so i dont see it happening anytime soon. Just need to settle for onstar

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
come on...real men don't need directions:p. And if you do get lost, oh well...more time to drive around in your new camaro. :D:thumbsup:

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Men do not EVER get lost..they simply conduct "false infiltration operations" :lol:

yes, sorry...you are correct. I NEVER get lost...sometimes it just takes me a little longer to get to my destination....which, in my new camaro, might happen a little more often. :rolleyes::D:thumbsup: Just might take the long way home...always.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nav might still be possible

I've read in numerous sites that nav is coming around Dec '09. Now I will agree that there would have to be a significant change to the dash and radio setup to allow for this, so... a traditional nav screen radio is probably out. That being said however, I have also read in numerous sites that a HUD is coming in Dec '09 as well. What if.... think about this now, just what if GM has something up their sleeve that is taking a little longer to develop? What if the nav screen will be your windshield? Think of the possibilities. GM will have a one up on everyone else and something that will set the Camaro even farther apart from the Mustangs and Challengers. The only real challenge that I can think of is the driver interface. Voice maybe, or maybe one of those multi function knobs that Acura uses to control their nav system. I was preparing to order my 2LT sometime in the next few weeks, but with a four month wait for delivery and the possibility of a HUD alone, I think I will hold out a bit longer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Onstar

I would expect nothing less than an feature rich extension of the current Onstar offering. But what I am referring to is a real moving map with traffic, POI's, maybe even weather, although I do see the possibility of GM reserving things like traffic and weather to the Onstar subscribers, leaving a basic, standard nav map for everyone else.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
Get a Garmin. Or take the long way with unplanned turns, like I do :eek:
Alot of people say stuff like that, but it's not the solution people are looking for. I, for one, would like an integrated screen. They could change the center stack and integrate the center stack with the center console, just like on other premium GM Models (and even not so premium). This would give plenty of room for a screen. Seriously, the Camaro's competitors ALL have a Nav screen option.

Seriously GM, you can make faithfulness to the concept a priority over what people actually WANT or NEED.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I don't think 80% of the people that buy a Camaro will need to navigate from the tree to the end of the 1/4 mile, or from home to work. Seriously, I don't see why you would want an integrated nav system for the four or five trips you might make in a year. If your always road trippin, I don't think this car would be the most efficient or comfortable way to go from coast to coast all the time, there are other GM vehicles made specifically for that. That's just my opinion, if you want to gripe at GM for not following the senseless heard, go for it ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
the need to navigate

It's not about the need to navigate on those few planed trip a year. It's not about GM being like everyone else. There are e few good reasons to offer a nav system. From a business standpoint, if they can come out with a product that will add value or will attract more customers while keeping manufacturing costs low enough to produce real revenue from it, then GM has every reason in the world to offer a nav screen. To some, it is even a deal breaker. GM cannot afford to loose customers over something as simple as offering a real nav system as an option. You think who care about the few small percent of customers that fall into this category? GM needs every customer that it can get right now.

As for customers, a nav screen is many different things to many different people. That's why it is usually an option. Those that want it can have it and those that don't, can get the car without one. I personally love to find new ways to get somewhere. I don't like to just get on the highway and drive the same path from point A to point B like the majority of the cattle of society. Sometimes I just like to head out into the country and drive. Sure I could get out a paper map, or get on Google and plan something, but where's the fun in that? In addition to that, I love technology. I'm a gadget person, and I love my electronic toys.

I realize there are some purists out there that want nothing of the sort in the Camaro. I don't hear many complaining that GM is offering a V6 option. I mean come on, what muscle car has a v6 under the hood? Oh but it has 300hp you say. Well it was technology and computers and some very smart people that made that possible. In the end, it comes down to customer preference, I like it, you may not. It will therefore be your option and your right to get the car without it.:5go:

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
It's not about the need to navigate on those few planed trip a year. It's not about GM being like everyone else. There are e few good reasons to offer a nav system. From a business standpoint, if they can come out with a product that will add value or will attract more customers while keeping manufacturing costs low enough to produce real revenue from it, then GM has every reason in the world to offer a nav screen. To some, it is even a deal breaker. GM cannot afford to loose customers over something as simple as offering a real nav system as an option. You think who care about the few small percent of customers that fall into this category? GM needs every customer that it can get right now.

As for customers, a nav screen is many different things to many different people. That's why it is usually an option. Those that want it can have it and those that don't, can get the car without one. I personally love to find new ways to get somewhere. I don't like to just get on the highway and drive the same path from point A to point B like the majority of the cattle of society. Sometimes I just like to head out into the country and drive. Sure I could get out a paper map, or get on Google and plan something, but where's the fun in that? In addition to that, I love technology. I'm a gadget person, and I love my electronic toys.

I realize there are some purists out there that want nothing of the sort in the Camaro. I don't hear many complaining that GM is offering a V6 option. I mean come on, what muscle car has a v6 under the hood? Oh but it has 300hp you say. Well it was technology and computers and some very smart people that made that possible. In the end, it comes down to customer preference, I like it, you may not. It will therefore be your option and your right to get the car without it.:5go:
What? Purists? The Camaro has ALWAYS had a V-6 option. From the very beginning. ALWAYS.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sorry that I have to step in now.

Muscle car with a V6? Anyone remember the Buick Grand National, GNX or T-Type? I'm sure a few of you do!!

·
Supporting Super Moderator
5,668 Posts
I am one of those that likes to have the nav screen on while I drive. I am just used to it and it helps me get where I'm going faster. I don't usually type in my destination, but I like being able to see the streets coming up and know if I passed the street I am looking for. I usually enter my destination in Onstar and use the map as guidance. I wouldn't want an aftermarket screen and I want a full size screen.

That being said, if I buy a Camaro it will not get driven much. It would mostly be used just to ride around in with no where to go. If it was my only car for the reason of no nav it would not be a car I would consider.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Sorry that I have to step in now.

Muscle car with a V6? Anyone remember the Buick Grand National, GNX or T-Type? I'm sure a few of you do!!
Sorry to say that I remember such a thing as 6 cyl muscle cars.
I remeber straight 6's w 250hp (both camaro and stang).
Here is a real horror for you...I saw an 82 camaro w a 4 banger:mad:.
Yes, it is true...It was the original engine...what a fn shame:(

·
Registered
7 Posts
I never said that the Camaro never came with a six cylinder engine. What I was getting at is nicely demonstrated for you by louperrault. That there is a group of hardcore muscle car enthusiasts that don't want any options in the car that aren't related to it being a muscle car. (Not saying that louperrault falls completely into this category by any means) Even though I am considering the 2LT, I myself don't really like the fact that it is a V6, however, when I consider my budget and the fact that it has over 300hp, it becomes an attractive offer. Since GM has always offered a V6 option, I am glad that they put some R&D time to come out with such a combination of power and fuel efficiency in a factory, naturally aspirated engine.

Great sig louperrault!!!:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts