Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys new here, I'm about to buy an 88 w/a5.0 motor but it does not have ac only heat. I was wondering where I can find an air condition unit for the car. Is there a specific website I could buy one for this car at?

Thanks Alot

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
did the car come originally w/ AC? if not, there's more to it than just installing an AC "unit"...best bet would be to find a parts/donor car to strip. Lots of parts...compressor, condenser, brackets, pulleys, plumbing, wiring, switches etc. Might be easier to just buy a different one that has AC to begin with or at least use this as a bargaining tool to get the price down (and just drive with the windows down).

If it has the AC setup and just needs a new compressor, you're local autoparts store should be able to get one for you.

BTW....welcome.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did the car come originally w/ AC? if not, there's more to it than just installing an AC "unit"...best bet would be to find a parts/donor car to strip. Lots of parts...compressor, condenser, brackets, pulleys, plumbing, wiring, switches etc. Might be easier to just buy a different one that has AC to begin with or at least use this as a bargaining tool to get the price down (and just drive with the windows down).

If it has the AC setup and just needs a new compressor, you're local autoparts store should be able to get one for you.

BTW....welcome.:thumbsup:

The guy isn't the original owner but he told me it didn't come with AC stock, the thing is there isn't many Camaros around where I live and I have wanted a 3rd Generation for awhile now. Its in very good condition w/mods on it.

I'm not to concerned about the AC myself but the girlfriend isn't to thrilled with the fact if she wants to drive in it it won't have AC lol.

Any idea how much it would cost to get all the parts.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
The guy isn't the original owner but he told me it didn't come with AC stock, the thing is there isn't many Camaros around where I live and I have wanted a 3rd Generation for awhile now. Its in very good condition w/mods on it.

I'm not to concerned about the AC myself but the girlfriend isn't to thrilled with the fact if she wants to drive in it it won't have AC lol.

Any idea how much it would cost to get all the parts.
if you bought all the parts new, I'm sure it's not gonna be cheap. Here's a link to a conversion kit to put AC in a first gen, not sure it'll work on the 3rd gen or if they make one like it for a 3rd gen. Check out ebay...might get lucky...or just tell the girlfriend to drive with the windows down.;)

http://www.belairbobs.com/inc/sdetail/1015

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if you bought all the parts new, I'm sure it's not gonna be cheap. Here's a link to a conversion kit to put AC in a first gen, not sure it'll work on the 3rd gen or if they make one like it for a 3rd gen. Check out ebay...might get lucky...or just tell the girlfriend to drive with the windows down.;)

http://www.belairbobs.com/inc/sdetail/1015

lol, I told her that last night and she just gave me this look, I'm most sure alot of you guys have seen those looks as well at some point.

Thanks for the website might get the parts list and go pull them off at the junk yard

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
lol, I told her that last night and she just gave me this look, I'm most sure alot of you guys have seen those looks as well at some point.

Thanks for the website might get the parts list and go pull them off at the junk yard
If you can find one at a junkyard with all the parts, that's the way to go. There's a lot of parts and a lot of work to install. If it were my car/girlfriend, I wouldn't bother.:lol:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm willing part with all of my a/c stuff. The only thing that is missing are the lines but i have everything else. It's gonna all be coming out when I pop in my ls1 anyways.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Girl friends come and go, cars you love do not. Sounds like you like the car so you drive it. Your not married, she needs to supply her own car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts