Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to graduate and all this college talk is really taking a toll on me.

I'm going to a local community college and I plan on studying Criminal Justice; However, I don't think I'm ready for college just yet.

I have been thinking about taking a year off, and going to college Fall '10.

I don't think I'm ready mentally or physically for college. I still think I'm a little immature for college. Also, I've been up there to get info/papers, and those kids are big. I'm only 5'7'' and I'm not in shape either, a year off, I could really turn around and have the confidence I need for college.

Also a year off would allow me to work full time for awhile, save up a lot of money for college, have a more practical stable of cars, and I really want to learn how to ride a motorcycle. I'm thinking 1 year off wouldn't be bad. I just want to have a year off and have a little fun and also prepare myself for the future.

Many people say I won't want to go back to school, but I don't really see what will stop me from school. I already feel I'm behind everyone else, just considering this!

ADVICE.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Adam,
Nothing wrong with taking off a year from school and being a year older. My concern is that you make a strong commitment to start the following year.

I had no clue what to do after high school. When most of my friends started college in the fall of that first year, I knew I wanted to go too. I was able to enroll and start the following fall and finished in 4 years. I felt being a year older and more mature helped me. It also helps if you are motivated to be there. I sold my 1969 Mach 1 428 Mustang to pay for the first semester. I made sure I studied because I had spent my own money. That was 28 years ago.

Today it is difficult to get any decent job without a college degree. Unless you have a good trade to fall back on, the degree will really help you with a career path and expand your horizons.

In my case, the year off helped. Just make sure you don't get distracted and end up not going.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
I would suggest NOT putting off college. If you stick with it, you'll be glad you went ahead and did it. Plus, your parents will be happier and there's less risk of the "get out of my house you lazy kid" scenario.

Of course, there's always the military.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
heh, i'm a sophmore and younger than most of the freshmen... 17 years old walking into basic training man, wouldn't take it back either.

·
barbarianmotorsports
422 Posts
GO to college right now because if you go work you will be forgetting about college and the pay will be good and you will say to yourself why should i go to school 4 years just to get the same pay i am getting now. when you get older it is harder to learn i think. good luck . also if you get lucky and hit the lottery then skip school .lol

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
Adam,
Nothing wrong with taking off a year from school and being a year older. My concern is that you make a strong commitment to start the following year.

I had no clue what to do after high school. When most of my friends started college in the fall of that first year, I knew I wanted to go too. I was able to enroll and start the following fall and finished in 4 years. I felt being a year older and more mature helped me. It also helps if you are motivated to be there. I sold my 1969 Mach 1 428 Mustang to pay for the first semester. I made sure I studied because I had spent my own money. That was 28 years ago.

Today it is difficult to get any decent job without a college degree. Unless you have a good trade to fall back on, the degree will really help you with a career path and expand your horizons.

In my case, the year off helped. Just make sure you don't get distracted and end up not going.

Adam this gentleman said it the best !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple
11,842 Posts
It is EXTREMELY important to go to college, cannot emphasize that enough.

If you choose to take a year off, it may help, but I wouldn't recommend it.
I would urge you to strongly consider going right into college this fall.

But if in the end you do end up taking time off, make absolutely sure you don't get so distracted that you end up not going at all.
A college education is of the utmost importance, especially nowadays.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I would suggest NOT putting off college. If you stick with it, you'll be glad you went ahead and did it. Plus, your parents will be happier and there's less risk of the "get out of my house you lazy kid" scenario.

Of course, there's always the military.
If you DO opt to "take a year off," don't become a waiter. Wait staff who came in with college aspirations often find it much easier to just make a personal wage and hang out with their coworkers.

And picking up where Octane5GO left off, college is always a challenge initially, but once you find a schedule and study routine that works for you, the 2nd year onward is much easier. Don't put it off because of the work involved.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Why not the local community college - part time (mornings or evenings)? Take some classes that will transfer to a 4 year school, work, save money, have some fun.

As a high school teacher, I think, especially with the economy AND your current feelings about school (not sure you are mature enough etc), I think this may be a solid route.

As for the maturity level. I think you may be selling your self short on that point. Your participation here proves you have quite a bit of maturity.

Stay in school, at least part time. BUT you need to have a plan. so you don't end up some slacker working at Wal-Mart all your life! ;););) (pun intended!)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Im with these guys, stick in school. You may realize you like college alot better than schools in the past, because you can focus on one goal instead of trying to pass random things you arent interested in. Being in criminal justice requires determination and hard work, and taking a year off doesnt exactly say anything about either one.

I also agree about going to a communtiy college, smaller classes more personal attention. I have been going for 4.5 semesters now(not including the year of automotive), and because I got most of my stuff done there, all I have to do at the big college is my focus, which will only be 3 semesters.

So take it easy and do what you feel is right, the fact that you are questioning yourself about not going says alot in the first place.

Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Adam,

I agree.

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
Nothing wrong with taking 6 months to a year off. Like it has already mentioned, be committed to getting enrolled and attending class on schedule.

·
Registered
897 Posts
These guys are pretty much right on, if you can make it work I'd suggest just getting right to college, it will be much more difficult if you wait.

1. I don't know about the maturity thing, the only way you're going to grow up is doing stuff like going to college, at least college is a transition as opposed to going straight to the working world where you are an adult. As far as everyone being bigger than you?.....I'm not sure how much you plan on growing but most 17 year olds don't grow much more. Its not high school there are no bullies....hence the maturity.

2. If you hurry and get your degree you'll be able to afford much nicer cars for your "stable" with a good job.

3. I don't know if these numbered replies actually line up with yours, but the moral of the story is just go. College is great for transitioning in life (especially if you already have an idea of what you want to do for classes). You'll grow up some, you'll learn how to buget your time and balance your life, you'll work towards an actual goal. And believe it or not you actually will have time to have fun.

·
Registered
897 Posts
These guys are pretty much right on, if you can make it work I'd suggest just getting right to college, it will be much more difficult if you wait.

1. I don't know about the maturity thing, the only way you're going to grow up is doing stuff like going to college, at least college is a transition as opposed to going straight to the working world where you are an adult. As far as everyone being bigger than you?.....I'm not sure how much you plan on growing but most 17 year olds don't grow much more. Its not high school there are no bullies....hence the maturity.

2. If you hurry and get your degree you'll be able to afford much nicer cars for your "stable" with a good job.

3. I don't know if these numbered replies actually line up with yours, but the moral of the story is just go. College is great for transitioning in life (especially if you already have an idea of what you want to do for classes). You'll grow up some, you'll learn how to buget your time and balance your life, you'll work towards an actual goal. And believe it or not you actually will have time to have fun.
Excuse me, guys and gals, sorry about that.

·
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep
4,638 Posts
Do not take a year off because then you will not want to go back go to college while your school skills are still their sharpest. I am also Majoring in Criminal Justice. At my college i am in the group of tall people i am 6'3 so most of the time i am looking down at people. Go to college in the fall of this year. College is nothing like high school

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Do not take a year off because then you will not want to go back go to college while your school skills are still their sharpest. I am also Majoring in Criminal Justice. At my college i am in the group of tall people i am 6'3 so most of the time i am looking down at people. Go to college in the fall of this year. College is nothing like high school
what's being tall got to do with anything?? you only got 3 inches on me anyways. :lol:

·
Registered
738 Posts
The longer you take off, the less likely you are to go. I have tons of friends who "took a year off" and still haven't gone to college, we're all in our mid 20's now. I "took some time off" and I'm 24 now and still haven't gone. Not only that, but I've forgotten a lot of important skills that now will make me struggle more than the 18 year olds in class.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
As a 5'6" 14 y/o who attends college (i know, right?), I'd say you have nothing to worry about. Doesn't matter what size you are, your shape, height, weight- whatever. What matters is you achieveing your goals and getting to where you need to be in life. I say attend College as soon as you can, and get out, because the sooner you go to college and graduate, the sooner you can go out and be taken seriously.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I can't reiterate enough the downside of taking a year off. Many of my friends chose that strategy when we graduated high school 4 years ago and only one of them is in line to graduate on time. When you start working you are going to realize 2 main things, 1) Making money is a heck of a lot better than paying to take classes and 2) working 40 hours a week at an entry level job is easier than graduating from college. Because of these 2 things it will be very difficult to commit to being a full-time student again. My advice would be to apply to the college of your choice and be prepared to go in the fall. Spend the summer working or whatever you usually do in the summer and reevaluate your position a few weeks before school starts. Personally, I think a few months off in the summer is just right and then you can go to school. I can certainly empathize with you wanting to build a stable of cars and save up some money but in the grand scheme is that really worth putting off your education?

As far as the not being ready physically thing- that has no impact on anything. One major lesson you learn in college is diversity. Diversity is more than black, white, and purple. Its people from all backgrounds and in your case people of all shapes and sizes. Not a bad idea to start working out though if you're concerned. Eating and training right from now until September will have a very noticeable impact on your body (and obviously keep it going when you start school).

My last piece of advice is to reevaluate your major. There is nothing wrong with a degree in criminal justice (my dad received his) but if you are planning on being a police officer you might want to go a different route. At least if you have aspirations of being a State Trooper or perhaps something with the federal government. CJ degrees are a dime a dozen for academy candidates and by studying finance or accounting you differentiate yourself from everyone else. This is what my friends dad (Capt. in the NJ State Police) says.

Good luck with whatever you choose

1 - 20 of 33 Posts