Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
8,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I took classical piano lessons 30 years ago; violin/fiddle lessons 15 years ago. I was pretty good.....but I have not played in many many years.....

I want to play guitar.

I have been told to pick up an acoustic first to learn the basics.

I REALLY want to learn to play.

I am very open to all advice that have experience.

·
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep
4,638 Posts
I learned on Acoustic and i still play on it... My advice is get professional lessons it really helped me out alot

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Acoustic has the benefit of not needing an amp..but electrics have the benefit of being easier to play (tighter string spacing, less effort to hold down strings, etc.)...and you don't technically NEED an amp on an electric to play..you just won't get much sound out of it.

First bit of advice I can give..stay away from Squier as you would a carrier of the plague. ;)

Couple of places that have the best deals on instruments and equipment:
www.musiciansfriend.com
www.guitarcenter.com

Though if you can find a decently priced local place I'd buy from there..you may pay a bit more but they'll be far more helpful than a online store will ever be(and you might even be able to talk them into throwing in a free setup to get your business..)..I know from experience. :|

There's an awesome local place that has the same price as online stores..but I didn't want to pay the sales tax. If I bought from there to begin with I wouldn't have gone through 2 other guitars before I found a good one.

Also if you're good at self-teaching things the "Guitar for Dummies" is actually a really, really good book..and includes a CD with songs to play along to.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Though if you're looking for acoustics Fender has some pretty dang good low-priced ones. I know 2 guys with Fender acoustic-electrics (acoustics with pre-amps and piezo pickups) that ran around $300 each and they sound great. Not as good as a friend's $2500 taylor...but surprisingly good for the price point.

Also..it might help if you told us your price limit.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
720 Posts
well....i started on an electric at 9 years old...a squire...still have it...wasn't until my 3rd i got an acoustic....Note: Acoustic will build finger strength faster; but Electric will probably keep one's attention more due to the fun you can have with them....if your looking for quality for bang for the buck in the acoustic world....look into Ibanez Exotic wood series....i work for ibanez and the exotic line is phenomenal for the price....personally for electrics im a gretsch man but they are really high in price...it really depends on what you wanna play...im in dire need of a sweet tele though, they always sound great

·
Registered
897 Posts
I started playing a few years ago, started with an electric (epiphone les paul, that I still have, but with better pickups). I eventually got an acoustic, but I still tend to play the electric more.

To be honest pick the guitar that best suits the music you want to play. I like metal and rock, so I got the electric and learned "Smoke on the Water" and "Iron Man", then the intro to "Enter Sandman" and "Higher", and away I went. If you're not playing the music you want then you're not going to keep playing. I didn't get any lessons, I had a friend show me how to read tabs and went from there, but I've always been a self learner. If you do get lessons, find someone who is willing to teach you stuff tailored to what you want to play. Their are good instruction videos for techniques and song on the internet as well.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
check craigslist...lots of people buy guitars and dont stick with lessons, so there's always used guitars on craigslist, cheap.

·
8,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of the advice guys!

Here's the deal, I like everything, but I am more interested in playing metal/rock of all kinds.

I was told by a good friend that has been playing for about 15 years, that I would be better off getting an acoustic to learn the basics and technique and it would make me a better guitar player. He has also been in a few locally successful bands in Houston, so I really trust his opinion, but I also really trust some of your opinions as well.

I prefer to this as I am a perfectionists.

I know what y'all mean about an electric guitar and I will eventually get one, no doubt.

I am self taught in so many areas, that I may try out the guitar for dummies.

I also want to learn with my son as I think it would be awesome.

My bud thinks I will have no issue playing guitar as they thought violin was harder. Who knows.

I am about to sell all my Rockband/Guitar hero stuff and use that money to start a fund for an acoustic guitar, I think.

I just know absolutely nothing about them and their price points, so I have no idea.

MY thought; the best bang for my buck regardless if that buck is $100 or $1000.

Thanks again for your input and keep with it as my ears are open and my mouth is shut.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
looking for a new way to pick up the ladies 54? :lol:

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Thanks for all of the advice guys!

Here's the deal, I like everything, but I am more interested in playing metal/rock of all kinds.

I was told by a good friend that has been playing for about 15 years, that I would be better off getting an acoustic to learn the basics and technique and it would make me a better guitar player. He has also been in a few locally successful bands in Houston, so I really trust his opinion, but I also really trust some of your opinions as well.

I prefer to this as I am a perfectionists.

I know what y'all mean about an electric guitar and I will eventually get one, no doubt.

I am self taught in so many areas, that I may try out the guitar for dummies.

I also want to learn with my son as I think it would be awesome.

My bud thinks I will have no issue playing guitar as they thought violin was harder. Who knows.

I am about to sell all my Rockband/Guitar hero stuff and use that money to start a fund for an acoustic guitar, I think.

I just know absolutely nothing about them and their price points, so I have no idea.

MY thought; the best bang for my buck regardless if that buck is $100 or $1000.

Thanks again for your input and keep with it as my ears are open and my mouth is shut.:thumbsup:
I played violin a long time ago as well..and I miss it.

Well..there are 2 main different versions of acoustic guitar. Laminated and solid. As you may guess laminated means the guitar is made out of wood laminate (sometimes with a solid top or solid top and solid back) and solid is..well..all solid wood.
Solid sounds better but costs more and isn't as 'forgiving' to temperature differences and handling than laminate. If you're just going to be playing for personal use and want a guitar that can handle a little bit of rough handling (though acoustics are WAY, WAY more fragile in general than solid-body electrics..for obvious reasons) you can get a good guitar that will serve you well for $300-400. Fender and Epiphone are 2 companies with really solid 'budget' guitars. Ibanez isn't too shabby, either. Neither is Takamine (stay away from Jasmine..their version of Squier). There are a lot of other ones out there (Washburn, Breedlove, etc.) but I don't know of their quality.

Though keep in mind ANY guitar in that price range is going to be made in China, Indonesia, or some other far-out-there country.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
well....i started on an electric at 9 years old...a squire...still have it...wasn't until my 3rd i got an acoustic....Note: Acoustic will build finger strength faster; but Electric will probably keep one's attention more due to the fun you can have with them....if your looking for quality for bang for the buck in the acoustic world....look into Ibanez Exotic wood series....i work for ibanez and the exotic line is phenomenal for the price....personally for electrics im a gretsch man but they are really high in price...it really depends on what you wanna play...im in dire need of a sweet tele though, they always sound great
For some reason every person on the planet misspells 'Squier'. :lol:

That must be back when they could still make guitars..I had one last year and it was rather...bad.

The same guy I know that has the Taylor also has 2 Teles. A mexican standard and a american deluxe. He had the same pickups the american deluxe has put into the mexican and one can hardly tell the difference....though the AD still looks wayyyyyyyy cooler.

·
8,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Lu!

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Also any guitar you get (especially a lower priced one) would probably benefit well from being professionally set up. Normally costs $20-35 and they go through and make sure everything is ready to go. String spacing, string height, no fret buzz, neck tension etc. etc.

I should probably have it done to my Strat..but I'm far too cheap~

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
I have a Dean acoustic....it's not bad considering I think it was under $200.

·
8,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys; keep it coming....gonna check out the links tonight.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts