Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard whining noise coming from my catch can so I took it off to fix a loose fitting,but it turns out that it's broke....hmm or should i say i turned it too much and it broke?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Your car doesn't work without a catch can? :eek: What a dilemma! :lol:

Return to stock and you will be fine. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is 6 months. About 3 - 4 ounces of oil that would of gone into my intake. I covered up the name brand of catch can because I am not advertising for anyone. It's all up to you, if you think you don't need one. I know I don't want all this nasty oil going back into my intake manifold.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone want to buy some snake oil? Weird ,it's a Camaro not a Cobra and yet all this snake oil.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh and CyCam1,I've read your previous posts on catch cans or Popular Science articles on these engines not needing a catch can. Believe what you want, I'm sticking with a catch can.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
You must drive it pretty hard to get that much oil and condensation. Do you live where it gets very cool at night and hot in the daytime? People in colder climates will get a lot of condensation that passes through because of the cold mornings. Most of the stuff collected is within the first few minutes of driving before the engine has a chance to fully warm up.

If yours is mostly oil then you have to be driving your car really hard. You said 6 months worth, how many miles is that (roughly)?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Daily driver. About 17000 a year. I haven't tripped my mpgs either in 6 months,showing 17.6 mpg. Headers,Cai,race scoop,JRE tune on a V8. Don't drive it hard but yup hotter n hell here in south Texas.lol

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
303.jpg I know I'll be alright,but I sure like that peace of mind and I've got a bald spot in my engine bay where my catch can was.lol

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
J-Rod-210, You have a V8 and really shouldn't worry about build-up. You have port injection and that actually washes the pistons and does not let anything build up on them. As long as you use gas that has the fuel additives for cleaning you will be fine. :thumbsup: The real discussion for catch cans is on the V6 direct injection engine. The pistons do not get the benefit of the fuel additives as in port injected cars. That is what all the fuss is about. I still haven't seen enough evidence to make me want to run out and buy one for my V6 yet. Time will tell.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe I'll try that and post in 6 months on this. I'll open up my intake manifold and see what's up,unless anyone not running a catch can for a while willing to open theirs and see what you find. V8 of course. I do use 93 octane from Shell. I just can't fathom all that oil going back into the engine.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
If you see any of the videos of a port fuel injected car engine you can see how the injectors shoot the gas in on the heads and the fuel is ignited. It actually cleans the pistons off and won't allow any build up. Now if your car is super charged or turbo charged then you will get way more blow by oil and that could make your car run a little rough or give you some backfire. We are talking substantially more oil than what you are seeing now.

·
Registered
257 Posts
If you see any of the videos of a port fuel injected car engine you can see how the injectors shoot the gas in on the heads and the fuel is ignited. It actually cleans the pistons off and won't allow any build up. Now if your car is super charged or turbo charged then you will get way more blow by oil and that could make your car run a little rough or give you some backfire. We are talking substantially more oil than what you are seeing now.
You can talk until youre black in the face and you wont convince them.
I'm thinking most like the Zoomy look under the hood ??? !!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've been down this road before. Can't talk reasonable with some people, but they have that right. Here's my first post:

I know my few posts do not compare to your 1,000 but cycam1...why are you so negative and nasty about this topic? I respect your opinion, which you have made clear in this thread. so live and let live, and move on. I actually thought you made some sense with your rationale...i didn't agree with it, but I could understand why you thought what you thought. But some folks believe in the catch can concept and feel it is worth the $150 investment. So what, if its all snake oil, it's their $. If it isn't and they can add some years to their cars, it's still their $. Either way, it's their decisions and $.

I see a lot of great members here that are helpful, courteous and respectful. I come here to see if I can participate but usually just end up reading a bit and moving on. This should be a pleasant site to visit for open discussion on our favorite topics...Camaros! It's threads like this that make me not want to return.
And here's the response:

I am trying to save some uninformed people from wasting their hard earned money that they can use for other mods that make more sense. I have the knowledge from being in the industry for over 30 years and talking to other engineers about stupid stuff like catch cans and snake oil. Some folks are new and are very gullible. If I was just starting out I would welcome such information to help guide me from wasting my money. That is what these forums are for. If you don't like what I have to say then go to another topic. Some people WANT to be educated and some don't. Don't get your panties in a bunch about it.

I actually respect his opinion, but when he attacks, it becomes white noise. I did my homework, read up on the pros and cons, and purchased a can for my v6 and have no regrets. And if anyone asks for my opinion that's what I'll say...well, I'll also add that I went with the elite cause of the easier draining method. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
As long as you use gas that has the fuel additives for cleaning you will be fine.
So, what if you do not always use those detergent gasolines? At what percentage does it make a difference? Right now, I would probably say I am 50/50 on detergent and non-detergent.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
So, what if you do not always use those detergent gasolines? At what percentage does it make a difference? Right now, I would probably say I am 50/50 on detergent and non-detergent.
Most gas stations today do have detergent gas. That was not the case six or seven years ago. My point was the V8 engines have port fuel injection and these gases clean your engine so a catch can is not needed.

I would not recommend putting cheap gas into my car unless it was a beater. The main argument about catch cans was in the V6 cars as they have direct injection. This is a completely different animal altogether. These engines are relatively new and the car manufactures are improving them just about every year. There are facts supporting both sides in the catch can debate for these engines.

I am not convinced yet but that don't mean that sometime in the future I won't change my mind. As more and more information and data comes in on these engines in the next few years we will all be able to see if catch cans are needed on DI engines. As far as V8 PI engines go... the verdict is in.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I've been down this road before. Can't talk reasonable with some people, but they have that right. Here's my first post:

And here's the response:

I actually respect his opinion, but when he attacks, it becomes white noise. I did my homework, read up on the pros and cons, and purchased a can for my v6 and have no regrets. And if anyone asks for my opinion that's what I'll say...well, I'll also add that I went with the elite cause of the easier draining method. :thumbsup:
Luds, you are correct. I was not playing as nice as I should have. After reading my old post, I was out of line and I humbly apologize for it. I don't know what my frame of mind was that day but I didn't need to come across that harshly. Thanks for pointing that out. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts