Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to have a garage put up. 36' wide, by 28' to 36' deep, insulated, 10' walls. I've got a couple of quotes so far and they vary by ~50%.

I'm being told steel over post and beam is the most cost-effective.
I'm in Greencastle, PA.
I'm looking for the most bang for my buck.

Any ideas?

Contractors are welcome to pm/email me. Contact info is in my profile.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
When I did mine in 2006. The size is 12ft x 24ft. One garage door, one standard door, window and loft. Made from pine lumber and the roof shingled. All installed for $3500.

·
Supporting Super Moderator
5,668 Posts
I'm trying to have a garage put up. 36' wide, by 28' to 36' deep, insulated, 10' walls. I've got a couple of quotes so far and they vary by ~50%.

I'm being told steel over post and beam is the most cost-effective.
I'm in Greencastle, PA.
I'm looking for the most bang for my buck.

Any ideas?

Contractors are welcome to pm/email me. Contact info is in my profile.

Thanks!
Intrested in the same size. If you don't mind posting, what were your quotes?

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
Looking forward to this thread as I just had a 36x36 shop with insulated 12 ft walls built last month.

what are u looking at spending dont mind me askn?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Looking forward to this thread as I just had a 36x36 shop with insulated 12 ft walls built last month.

what are u looking at spending dont mind me askn?
What did that run you? was it all done by a contractor?
I am looking to do something similar when I get back to the states. I think something like you built and possible out to 40'-50'x30'-36' insulated with heat and A/C. Looking up to a 50k budget for something turn key.

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
steel post might be your cheaper route rather than a wood frame.its also easier to build. make sure you use some good insulation materials. if you need any advice on that, im your guy! thats what we specialize in! Thermo Retail Shopping Cart
we also have wraps to help keep the UV rays out. good luck. i hope to build a big garage some day.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
we have a 42X21 steel building by carolina carports (Carolina Carports, Inc.).

it was just under $10K total (with tax and everything) and they came out and installed it. they have distributors all over the place as we dealt with a local company here in NOLA that actually sold us the building. we spent another $10k on the slab and flatwork for a total of $20K for the whole project.

(i posted pics on page 2 of this thread)

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
10K and they came out and installed it? thats a hell of a deal.this doesnt count electric,water,drainage being run im guessing?

·
Support MC & Troops
11,804 Posts
36' wide, by 28' to 36' deep, insulated, 10' walls
Are you going w/a 2x car deep & 2x car wide ?
I have been told to think of every car/truck generally is 18' long for building purpose :dunno:
Because my 68 & 70 is approximately 17-18 ft long, I'm thinking my shop will need to be
around 40' deep x 60' long to be 2car's deep & 3car's wide w/a office or work room
built inside the shop, plus I'd like to build a second story for a loft for storage, cleaning up
(not to attract oil & stuff in the house), guess could also stay in the loft too.
Like to see more from others too and pics too please, thx.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
10K and they came out and installed it? thats a hell of a deal.this doesnt count electric,water,drainage being run im guessing?
u are correct. we had the slab poured in advance. and we never ran any electrical (we had an old elec box in the ground right outside from when we had a pool and we just plugged a work light into it for night time, but most of the time we don't use the light at all) and no plumbing or anything is in the building. if you added either of those, you are on your own. carolina just handles the building itself. u can customize it too. add things like windows, etc. ours was customized by having 2 9' doors and 2 8' doors, 1 walk in door, and no windows. they put locks on the rollup dorrs and the walkin door and handed us the key when they were done.

we have had it since 2008 and we love it. ours is light tan with a white roof and in this summer heat it doesn't get like an oven in there at all. we didn't even insulate it. with the doors open and the wind flowing through, it's cooler than being in the sun for sure. not cold by any means, but certainly not an oven. the metal they used still looks new (and it won't get termites, woot!) and it's rated for hurricane force winds. no problems so far. and IIRC it has a 25 year warranty that if a hurricane did damage it they would fix it. i would have to go home and check my paperwork.

here's some pics (5 guys installed it in 10 hours!):

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
very bad ass garage! i cant wait to get room to build a nice big garage...with a lift for sure.

·
Supporting Super Moderator
5,668 Posts
Love it:thumbsup: not a bad price at all.

I would love something like that with a lift in one or two bays.

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm looking at keeping it under 40K. Should be easily do-able.
For now, I'm keeping the bids to myself. Most bang for the buck will get the job.

·
Registered
178 Posts
When you get it done please give us a ballpark figure and pictures. I plan on starting mine after the first of the year.

·
Registered
62 Posts
40x60 steel building, installed, slab, plumbing, power approx $55,000 8 yrs ago...

If you want ? x ? always go bigger, with my 2400 sq ft I can only fit 2 vehicles, and can barely move around...

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
man this thread is gonna make me want to find land to build on......quick! i am in desperate need of a garage/ workshop.

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Amish have some nice buildings... I may go that route. Morton is in the running too.

·
Support MC & Troops
11,804 Posts
40x60 steel building, installed, slab, plumbing, power approx $55,000 8 yrs ago...

If you want ? x ? always go bigger, with my 2400 sq ft I can only fit 2 vehicles, and can barely move around...
Yea, that might be better to go bigger, we cant go much more tho, for us :eek:
we don't plan on having all 6 bays used, 4 maybe, we wanna leave room for working ;)
Plus I wanna do some of the work my self, I can do most of the wiring &
pluming, plus I can have my younger brother help & were thinking steel is best :thumbsup:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 73 Posts