Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need some help on what cam to get. I grabbed a GM Performance Parts Catalog and found one in there and was leaning more towards that one. P/N 88958733, it states that it adds 50hp. http://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/88958733.html

If you guys can help me out and give me your thoughts. I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks

·
Registered
897 Posts
Sorry, I have no clue, but I know there's a couple of guys on here that have done or plan to upgrade the cam, so just keep bumping this thread until the right person sees it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Did you checkout Jannetty 445RWHP cam? I know there is a lot of info out about that kit and looking at the specs of this one, you may be interested in that.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been looking all night. My eyes hurt now. I'm going to rule out the GM Hot Cam. I'm looking at Comp Cams and MTI.

I just want something that is going to give me more HP and a smooth drive.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have been looking all night. My eyes hurt now. I'm going to rule out the GM Hot Cam. I'm looking at Comp Cams and MTI.

I just want something that is going to give me more HP and a smooth drive.
JRE 445RWHP is it then. I have read many satisfied customers with this system. Not only does it give good horsepower, it keeps torque down low also. Look on youtube to hear the idle. I hear this drives really well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a stage 2 cam from Fastlane Motorsports in Houston, TX. the specs are 228/[email protected] 588/595 lift. With a cold air intake, 1 7/8" headers, 3" pipe all the way back & a good tune I'm making 477 at the wheels. I happy so far. Hope this helps you

·
Registered
50 Posts
I need some help on what cam to get. I grabbed a GM Performance Parts Catalog and found one in there and was leaning more towards that one. P/N 88958733, it states that it adds 50hp. http://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/88958733.html

If you guys can help me out and give me your thoughts. I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks
You need to answer some basic questions before selecting a cam:

1) Will you be adding forced induction or nitrous?
2) Where in your RPM range do you want to maximize torque and power?
3) Is normal operation drivability a factor?

The first question is the most important, because FI/nitrous requires a completely different cam profile. If you'll be using FI, then choose a dual pattern cam with longer exhaust duration as there will be allot more exhaust to expel from the cylinder (remember, those devices increase oxygen substantially, which requires more fuel which in turn creates increased exhaust gases). A stock or near stock intake duration is fine when using FI or nitrous as you can always increase boost or shot size for the intake side.

I recommend you call Comp Cams and get their advice, they'll ask those questions and recommend a few cam profiles for you to choose from.

If you won't be adding nitrous or forced induction, then you'll want to maximize the intake

·
Registered
358 Posts
I don't have any plans for a cam (yet) but when I do I will work with my local dyno shop and probably have them install it and tune it. You will definitely need a tune. If you don't have a dyno close by I would work with Jennettyracing.com. There is no way you can run a stock tune with a different cam. (do you agree, FrostBite?) I know enough about cams to know that I don't know enough about cams to pick out my own grind.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't have any plans for a cam (yet) but when I do I will work with my local dyno shop and probably have them install it and tune it. You will definitely need a tune. If you don't have a dyno close by I would work with Jennettyracing.com. There is no way you can run a stock tune with a different cam. (do you agree, FrostBite?) I know enough about cams to know that I don't know enough about cams to pick out my own grind.
Yes, a tune will almost certainly be needed. They'll need to tune out any surging caused by the cam and normalize the A/F ratio over the RPM range.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
*21st Century Muscle Cars CMC-30 LS3, Camshaft

Camshaft specifications: 227/239 duration @ .050 .629/.623 with 1.7 ratio rocker arms 114.0 CL.

2010+ Camaro MTI Racing Stage 2 LS3 Camshaft

Camshaft Specs are: 227/239 .614/.624

These are my 2 choices I think Im going to go with the 21st Century Cam.

·
Registered
50 Posts
*21st Century Muscle Cars CMC-30 LS3, Camshaft

Camshaft specifications: 227/239 duration @ .050 .629/.623 with 1.7 ratio rocker arms 114.0 CL.

2010+ Camaro MTI Racing Stage 2 LS3 Camshaft

Camshaft Specs are: 227/239 .614/.624

These are my 2 choices I think Im going to go with the 21st Century Cam.
That cam has quite a bit of lift. Make sure you get quality DUAL valve springs with it and a strong timing chain. The last thing you want is to drop a valve down into your cylinder because of a broken valve spring (I've seen this happen with big lift cams and single valve springs).

That baby is going to do the lopa-dope on ya

·
Registered
358 Posts
That cam has quite a bit of lift. Make sure you get quality DUAL valve springs with it and a strong timing chain. The last thing you want is to drop a valve down into your cylinder because of a broken valve spring (I seen this happen with big lift cams and single valve springs).

BTDT I had a 327 that broke 5 valve springs before I got rid of it. Some of them were very ugly! I could tear that engine down in my sleep.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That cam has quite a bit of lift. Make sure you get quality DUAL valve springs with it and a strong timing chain. The last thing you want is to drop a valve down into your cylinder because of a broken valve spring (I've seen this happen with big lift cams and single valve springs).

Thats on my list too.

Here is my parts list:

IWIS C5R Heavy Duty Timing Chain
Lingenfelter 3 Bolt Camshaft Install Kit(sprocket)
COMP Cams GM LS Series Trunnion Upgrade Kit
Manley Valvetrain Package and Install Kit
Crankshaft Timing Sprocket Gear
160 degree Thermostat
21st Century Camashaft

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thats on my list too.

Here is my parts list:

IWIS C5R Heavy Duty Timing Chain
Lingenfelter 3 Bolt Camshaft Install Kit(sprocket)
COMP Cams GM LS Series Trunnion Upgrade Kit
Manley Valvetrain Package and Install Kit
Crankshaft Timing Sprocket Gear
160 degree Thermostat
21st Century Camashaft
I would recommend the JRE 445 cam package, great cam for a dd car, makes good power down low in the rpm rage to help get these heavy cars going, plus it has a great lope to it. If you like I can get you some video of my car with the JRE cam in it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would recommend the JRE 445 cam package, great cam for a dd car, makes good power down low in the rpm rage to help get these heavy cars going, plus it has a great lope to it. If you like I can get you some video of my car with the JRE cam in it.

Yeah post a video please. And what's the specs on that cam.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah post a video please. And what's the specs on that cam.
Here's the link to the video, I will have to get back to you on the cam specs don't have them in front of me right now.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Appreciate the help, but I placed an order with the cam I stated above Tuesday. I seen some good numbers from it and the idle did not seem bad at all. I also started ordering all the smaller parts needed too, so I wouldn't be able to get the package they offer.

You did the install yourself correct? How was it? I found a helpful post that is a very detailed write up that im going off of. It looked like a pretty simple install, it will also be easier with my lift.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts