Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I see in cars out today, the convertibles run about 3500-5000 more than the hard top. Which do you prefer? I've never had a 'vert & was going to get one with this car, but I'd almost rather put the extra money into accessory packages, etc... What do you think - hard top or vert?:confused: What has "your" experience been with either type?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have had a 71 cutlass convertible for 18 years and love the car. they are hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Favorite time to drive the car is spring and fall. I am looking at the camaro for a daily driver and it will be a hard top. If you are looking at modifying the car the hardtop will take more horsepower to the chassis.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
I personally am going to get the vert. Never had one and I know there are more problems with a vert, but **** the torpedoes this will be my first new car and I will order it in vert. They are just so sexy. As far as which to get, it depends on what you want to do with it. The HT will outperform the vert based on weight and body rigidy. So if you want a Z06 like corner carver or better drag car go HT. If you like the wind in your hand cruiser got vert.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I hadn't really considered buying a convertible becasue of the extra money, added weight, etc, etc. until this weekend.

This may sound kinda lame, but I had actually never driven or been in a convertible (unless you consider a jeep a convertible) until this weekend and it kinda changed my entire perception. It really is an awesome feeling having the top down. I have decided that I can now live with the added cost, increased weight, and so on if I can experience that feeling every spring and summer. I just have to wait to see what it looks like with the top UP and whether or not I can live with looking at it that wa because I hate ragtops...

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm leaning towards a convertible because the Camaro will be a "toy" car for weekend cruising and not a daily driver. I'm really waiting to see if they'll include a hardtop as an option for the new Camaro before I make my final decision. I don't care for soft tops either. A coupe with an extra- large opening moonroof a la the Pontiac G6 might do the trick as well.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The major influence..

If the 'vert roof looks smooth (y'know, if you can't see each "rib") then that will seal it for me. Otherwise, if the roof looks all bony, then I'll get a coupe & put more money into electronics packages, etc..

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
I'd buy a hard top convertible. If they can do such a good job on the G6, they should offer it in the Camaro. The tops that could be offered by the aftermarket will be welcomed if GM drops the ball.

A coupe will be most likely what I'll end up with.

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
My SS is a vert. I never owned one before and I love it. Most of the bad things I always heard before it, I found were somewhat over
exaggerated. This car is not as nearly noisy as you would think it would be with the top up. The AC keeps it cold as you want it with the top up. It does have a more of a blind spot with the top up. As far as leaks go NONE, I do keep all weather stripping lubricated. After thoughts auto sells that product called Rag Top and it works excellent. My top looks brand new and repels water off the canvas like zaino on paint. I've owned a t top z that leaked like a water fall. I'm sure the new camaro will have a better drop top set up. I'm still not sure as to what car I would get, but for now I'm leaning more to a hard top.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm a fan of hard tops on muscle cars. I am going to reserve the final decision for the day I can go to the dealer and take a look. The rigidity at the track and the overall look for me is worth not being able put the top down. I have a Jeep, and I can go topless all the time. Now, that said, the thought of a Sunday drive with the top down is pretty enticing.

·
Registered
742 Posts
well i dont know about you guys, but i want the front wheels to get off the ground so a vert is out of the question ;) i just picked me self up a automobile mag and i have to say..... god ****, topless never looked so good. the sharper curves make is so **** sexy. compared to the 4th gen maro with it's rounded curves make it a lil less attractive. hopefully that color option isn't only for the verts :)

·
8,984 Posts
Both.

·
A New Camaro, Excellent!
529 Posts
After you own or drive a convertible all non-convertible cars will just feel very confined or restrictive.

I will buy a hardtop if i keep my 4th gen, for superior performance, but if i only had 1 sports car it would be a convertible.

Most of the automotive descrepencies of a convertible can be excused with a drive on a beautiful day with the top down.

Although they do cost more, they will also be worth more many years from now.

Remember chicks dig convertibles, thus they will dig guys with convertibles. Need we say more. :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am definetly going to buy a convertible. I never owned one and personally I like the vinyl/ragtop look on muscle cars, I think something like a 68 camaro with a convertible is better looking than the standard coupe.

Order me one with black on black with silver or white stripes and ill be very happy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.