Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my face stuck to my computer doing research about the Camaro and I still can't really decide what type of transmission is the best to have... Could you guys give me some advantages and disadvantages of having manual and auto transmission?

·
Premium Member
8,645 Posts
I got the automatic cause my round trip between home to work to bank to work back to home is a total of 15 miles and i go through 28 traffic lights. If i had a longer ride with no lights i would have gotten the M6

·
Registered
34 Posts
It comes down to personal preference. I like driving a stick, especially in a performance car. It's a little pain when driving in traffic, but I still prefer it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Its all choice really...
I believe most to think manual is more sporty, and you have more control of the car (since you control gear). If you like to romp around, rev the engine and what not.

Automatic is better if its going to be a daily driver, not for fun but for looks. Automatic is get in and go, you can romp around for sure, but its point and go.

I'm a manual sort of guy, I love shifting, slaming thru gears, downshifting etc etc...its a sport/muscle car thing. I personally think automatic belongs in trucks and 'other' cars or those who don't like / know how to drive manual.

If your looking for numbers, like which will get better gas mileage there is probably another thread listing that. But end all, i (personally) don't think you should choose auto/manual based on 0-60 times or mpg or anything of the such. It should be on what your looking to do with your car.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Manual all the way. I test drove a 6-speed automatic corvette once and it was...boring... And the car felt lazy compared to my manual transmission Camaro. Unless you get the automatics tuned for performance shifting, I think they tend to make the car feel more spongy than snappy. But in the end it's really a personal decision. You just need to ask yourself if you want to row gears or let the car row the gears for you. If you plan to modify your engine, I believe the manual transmissions tend to be a little cheaper to modify since they don't have the AFM system on them.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Auto as well, I am a manual man!!! I have had only manuals my whole life!! I use this car mainly from work to home (full traffic) and going up to my cabin by the Canada Border, we have been having road work on our main stretch of road goin north where you end up sitting for 3 hours in stop and go to only finally get through it and continue for another 5 hours!:eek: with a manual my leg would be shot when i finally got up there and take alittle fun out of my 1st night up! SO I made the switch and could not be happier the road work is going on for the next 2 years I found out and the commute to work and back has been soo nice without the killing of my leg! I was always one of thouse guys that lived for shifting and figured it was worth the pain. But now that I have my auto and I eating my own words. I am not a big fan of the Paddle shifters (lol buttons) but the transmission in auto is very smooth. Although i dont care at all about the cylinder's shutting down to save fuel, I mean who buys a maro for the MPG:D I also agree thou that its down to prefference either way long as you love it its all golden :D

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Stick. More power and more control. A lot more engaging and enjoyable. Traffic? I had no problem with my 6 speed GTO in DC. There is no reason anyone else should have a problem anywhere else (barring any medical problems).

Honestly, it's personal preference. What I stated above is just my opinion. What everyone who prefers the auto stated is their opinion. We'd all choose one over the other for our own great reasons. This decision is not something to let someone else make. Best of luck.

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
advantage of manual, is driving stick! and 426hp. disadvantage of auto,from what i have heard is that it sounds weird with and exhaust because of the AFM.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Make this post a poll, that way you will get a better feel about the general concensus. I have a Tahoe that is my M-TH DD, so when it comes to traffic on Friday I don't mind, if I had to drive my Camaro as my primary vehical, I dono. I originally ordered it auto, but after thinking about it I changed to manual, it's just not a sports car w/o a stick.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts