Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I am getting ready to get these stripes for my car. I love them, but my only concern is how they do as far as bugs and stuff hitting them on the road. I am buying the 8 year vinyl, so they should be pretty thick and durable. What do you all think?? Thumbs up or thumbs down?? :thumbsup::thumbsdown:
Cant afford the painted ones yet, so thought I would try the vinyl for a while.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
i used to work in the sign industry and i applied vinyl all the time to glass and exteriors, but never to auto, best guess is that 1. vinyl will overtime either peel around the edges after washing or due to high heat it will crack. hopefully the 8 yr is high performance vinyl and will last a while. 2. bug juice will come off if you scrub it or presoak it first, im sure there is a spray you can apply that will ease the removal of bug juice, but be gentle with your vinyl. 3. it might leave a ghost after you take it off and may take off some clear coat too depending on how good the paint job is. and 4. i would just wait and get the paint done...skip the vinly, nothing lasts these days....talk to someone in your area who's does car wraps and they can give you more info. hope that helps.

·
Bully Proof
7,086 Posts
A friend of mine owns this car and she had 10 year vinyl stripes applied and they were the most expensive grade available. Here they had only been on a few months and there were already multiple scratches in the strips on top of the front bumper cover where road debris was deflected.

[URL="
[/URL]

·
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A friend of mine owns this car and she had 10 year vinyl stripes applied and they were the most expensive grade available. Here they had only been on a few months and there were already multiple scratches in the strips on top of the front bumper cover where road debris was deflected.

[URL="
[/URL]
Thats my only worry. ROAD DEBRIS messing them up. I love the look. Rider Grapics says that they are thicker and will out last the car that they are put on. But I still worry. Still trying to decide.:( Mine is not a daily driver. More of a show car, so I dont know......

·
Bully Proof
7,086 Posts
Just know that they will scratch fairly easily and from what I've read...you're not supposed to put any wax on vinyl stripes so there's no way to protect them.

I would skip the small outer stripe because it will be the first thing that starts to peel off one of the front edges of the bumper cover. There's a reason why full body stripes don't usually have pinstripes flanking them.

·
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rallye Stripes look better...Just Sayin..
Already have the Rallys, but looking for a change. Always loved those full stripes. Talking to Street Customs out of Mooresville, NC. They sponsor our club through RCR Racing. So if they tell me that the 8 year stuff will hold up, I believe them. These guys do AWESOME work.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,383 Posts
Go for it Scott, looks good and it's something that can be easly changed without harm if need be.!:thumbsup:

·
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just bit the bullit and ordered my NEW stripes. Got the 3M 8 year vinyl ones from MoProAuto. Having them installed hopefully end of next week. Just in time for the All-Chevy Nationals in Pigeon Forge, TN!! These are suppose to be the best vinyl material on the market today. Lets hope so, cause I love the look. Didnt wont to have them painted on until I know this is what I want for a permanent look. Will probably do so in the future.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
It makes the car look like it got ran over by a truck. Not a fan if stripes that's why I took mine off. Looked like a **** candy cane. Clean is mean.

·
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It makes the car look like it got ran over by a truck. Not a fan if stripes that's why I took mine off. Looked like a **** candy cane. Clean is mean.
A Camaro with out stripes always looks like its missing something. IMO. Kind of like a Camaro with out a rear spolier, just missing something. Thanks for your opinion.

·
Registered
10 Posts
A Camaro with out stripes always looks like its missing something. IMO. Kind of like a Camaro with out a rear spolier, just missing something. Thanks for your opinion.
Anytime I see a camaro without stripes "it's missing something" is always my first thought. Get you a stretch bra and you won't have to worry as much about the road and bug crap that the nose of the car picks up.

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
I'd only put a bra on when the front end started to sag :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts