Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Check this thread out:
Supposedly this was an interview with carcrazy.com assistant editor John Breaux and Steve Saleen at the 2006 Cruisin the Coast Auto Show in Biloxi, Mississippi

http://www.roadandtrack.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=13027

Car Crazy: Are you going to bump up the horsepower on your Saleen Mustang cars when Ford adds horsepower in 2009?

Steve Saleen: Yes we are, I just talked to Alan Mulally (Ford Motor Co. Chief Executive) about the 2009 facelift year and what kind of added power the GT and Cobra will get.

CC: What kind of added power did he talk about for the 09 model year?

Saleen: Nothing extreme, it's only a facelift year, but enough to make my current engine upgrades obsolete. They're aiming for 350 horsepower out of the V8 in the GT, and they're only adding about ten or fifteen horsepower to the GT500.

CC: Can you give us an idea of what you'll do to for your Saleen models?

Saleen: We don't know yet exactly, but we've had many meetings on what we want. We're aiming to get around 385 horsepower out of the S281 3 Valve with around 390 lb-ft of torque. The S281 Supercharged model will get 500 horses even with around 460 lb-ft of torque, and expect about a fifteen horsepower increase on the (S281) Extreme Mustang over the 2007 model (that's 565 horsepower and 535 lb-ft of torque).

CC: That's a big power increase on all cars, are the prices going to change?

Saleen: Not counting inflation, the prices should stay the same.

CC: Are the rumors of you teaming up with GM true or false?

Saleen: My team just worked with GM last month on the Transformers movie. We had such a good relationship with them that we are infact going to team up with them on future projects?

CC: What future projects?

Saleen: Well the Camaro project is one of them, I've watched from a distance while they've been putting the production model together. I think it would be foolish on our part if we didn't get a part of that action (Steve laughs).

CC: So are you going to do your own versions of the new Camaro?

Saleen: It's not legally official right now, but that's what we're hoping for.

CC: What kind of upgrades will you make, have you seen the engine GM is using in the Camaro?

Saleen: I hope I don't get in trouble with GM for saying this, but they're using a 6.2 liter 450 horsepower engine for the premium V8 in the 2009 Camaro and the base Corvette. The base V8 will probably be a detuned version of the same 6.2. So we'll just upgrade the 6.2 liter V8 to Saleen level specifications. We're going to upgrade the 6.2 liter V8 if we're given the legal chance by GM. Our base model should have around 485 horsepower, and expect our Extreme Supercharged Camaro to have over 600 horsepower.

·
Premium Member
2,774 Posts
I coudlnt beleive it..wow thats like gotta be weird...a Saleen Camaro???

·
Registered
134 Posts
This is some great chatter.

I wonder if Ford will allow saleen to get involved with
Bowtie or try to keep them exclusive.

In any case 6.2 baby

·
Premium Member
2,774 Posts
I wondered that my self about Ford..if they would pull the plug on Saleen?? but maybee hes doing this cus Shelby is back in the mix?? and hes loosing his image with Ford as the performance stang..
I mean all you hear about is the Shelby Mustangs..and nothing about Saleen..

·
Premium Member
2,774 Posts
yea and how much are those getting not MSRP but basically what dealers are asking for them?? and whats the top of the line Saleen going for??? Now add 600 HP to it and take it from there.. :D

·
Premium Member
2,774 Posts
I know..I was thinking of the addition of the price gouging..if it happens

·
Registered
48 Posts
I can't see The General stopping at 450 hp for the top dog Camaro. 500 hp seems to be the new benchmark! 450 hp is for mini-bikes!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry to reply in an old threat but I saw it linked from a newer one, but if theres a "detuned" 6.2, a higher HP 6.2 and a supercharged 6.2... honestly I am going to buy the cheaper detuned version and throw my own supercharger/cam/headers for probably a LOT less than some premium overrated saleen. Their stuff generally falls into the ricer catergory IMO from what ive seen their exterior mods. Mustangs are the domestic rice cars, and I would rather build my own car up than pay 10-20k extra for someone else to do it.

·
8,984 Posts
Sorry to reply in an old threat but I saw it linked from a newer one, but if theres a "detuned" 6.2, a higher HP 6.2 and a supercharged 6.2... honestly I am going to buy the cheaper detuned version and throw my own supercharger/cam/headers for probably a LOT less than some premium overrated saleen. Their stuff generally falls into the ricer catergory IMO from what ive seen their exterior mods. Mustangs are the domestic rice cars, and I would rather build my own car up than pay 10-20k extra for someone else to do it.

I would have to agree. Some of their cars look more agressive, but as of lately very Uncle Benish!

·
Premium Member
2,774 Posts
t a debate about what I consider rice. But if it is fast and looks fast then I dont consider it rice. maybee bad taste but not rice.
The Saleen's I have seen are awsome..
I have had the chance to see this car in person and the picture doesn ot do it justice:

a sweet looking car that has the muscle to back the lines.

·
Premium Member
9,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
t a debate about what I consider rice. But if it is fast and looks fast then I dont consider it rice. maybee bad taste but not rice.
The Saleen's I have seen are awsome..
I have had the chance to see this car in person and the picture doesn ot do it justice:

a sweet looking car that has the muscle to back the lines.
I've seen a few around here, aren't they all modified here in Troy, Michigan? Saleen has a large facility here with plenty of Mustangs and F150s in the back lot.

I just think they are overdone on the outside, a little gaudy for my taste. My buddy runs a popular Ford shop here and puts out some much better cars IMO. :D

I still love the lines on the Mustang :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,774 Posts
ohh do tell..would love to see some of his product.

Yea it can be said as overdone..but hey thats always been Saleen.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.