·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Related to the other post about new models... here's a ton of info:

Found on this link:
http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/news/gm/uaw/futureunionuaw.html

Very interesting info about GenV engines and the future of the full-size trucks...

=========================================================

Most notable are the powertrain components that Delphi is expected to supply for use in the C3XX truck program, starting in 2011. The C3XX platform will replace the current GMT 900 architecture that underpins the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra full size pickups.

According to the document, C3XX pickups will feature a new 'Gen V' 6.2-liter dual overhead cam (DOHC) V8 engine - a major departure from GM's traditional overhead valve (OHV) pushrod engine design used in its trucks, like the ‘Gen IV’ 403-horsepower / 417 lb-feet L92 6.2-liter V8 under the hood of the GMC Sierra Denali. The only DOHC V8 GM currently offers is Cadillac’s 4.6-liter Northstar engine.

The Gen V 6.2 motor will use variable valve timing (VVT) like the Gen IV 6.2, but the use of dual overhead cams holds the promise of four valves per cylinder instead of the current two valves, for better intake and exhaust flow and increased power. This is a similar setup to the 5.7-liter i-Force V8 used in the Toyota Tundra, but the Gen V 6.2 will also offer GM's active fuel management (AFM) system. AFM shuts down half the cylinders during steady state running for improved fuel economy – a feature not currently available for the i-Force. Up until this point, it’s been conventional wisdom that implementing cylinder deactivation on OHC engines is impractical for reasons of cost and complexity.

Pushrod engines won’t be disappearing entirely from GM’s truck line. A new ‘Gen V’ OHV V8 will replace the current 320-hp / 340 lb-feet 5.3-liter V8. Apparently the final displacement hasn’t been determined yet, because it’s referred to as 5X.

The new 5X gasoline engine will feature spark ignition direct injection (SIDI), similar to a diesel's fuel injection setup but still using a spark plug to ignite the fuel instead of diesel's high compression ratio that causes the fuel air mixture to auto-ignite. SIDI places the fuel injector right inside the combustion chamber, so fuel can be directly mixed with air entering the chamber during the intake stroke instead of before it enters the chamber, like in a conventional multi-port fuel injected gas engine. This approach enables a leaner burn of the fuel at higher compression ratios than current gas engines, resulting in greater fuel economy, cleaner emissions, and more power.

Initial production of both engines is slated to start in 2011 with full production in 2012.

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
TONS of info found on this PDF file:
http://www.futureoftheunion.com/docs/delphi/Ex1toproposedorder149pages.pdf

It's LONG.

But here's some notables:

GMX511 and GMX521 are noted alot.
GMX511 is the Camaro Coupe.
GMX521 is the Camaro Convertible.

Other future cars mentioned:
GMX551 is the Impala
GMX553 is the Lucerne
GMX556 is the DTS
.......all 3 of those being Zeta cars.

GMX711/721/731... 7th Generation Corvette

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
And if you look around the document you'll see GMX511/521/551 a few times, so Impala will share some parts with Camaro!

Info about parts for the new Camaro!

Sandusky Delphi plant will build the front and rear wheel bearings...and those programs are scheduled to go until 2013 or 2014.

Sandusky Delphi plant will build the steering components...and those programs are scheduled to go until 2014.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Nothing bad can come from DOHC. The quad 4 was a DOHC 4 cylinder. I miss that engine. Best 4 banger ever produced..man it was like a nuclear reactor. Incredibly powerful..but incredibly unstable all at the same time :D.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Lotus (owned by GM at the time) designed the first LT5 prototypes. When it came time for production, the job was farmed out to Mercury Marine who hand-assmbled all of those ZR-1 engines in Stillwater.

It will be interesting to see what what kind of HP/MPG numbers the engineers can get out of DOHC.

·
Registered
863 Posts
DOHC motors are typically taller, wider and heavier than their pushrod counterparts. Ever compare a 4.6L Ford to an LS1 in terms of exterior size and weight? The LS1 is both smaller and lighter, despite having a greater "displacement" and making more HP.

That's what's called a "win-win" for pushrod motors.

·
Registered
139 Posts
DOHC motors are typically taller, wider and heavier than their pushrod counterparts. Ever compare a 4.6L Ford to an LS1 in terms of exterior size and weight? The LS1 is both smaller and lighter, despite having a greater "displacement" and making more HP.

That's what's called a "win-win" for pushrod motors.
That is truth, that 4.6 sure is an underwhelming engine as it comes from the factory though. Nissan makes nearly as much power from a 3.5L V6. Hell there are other 6's around that make that kind of power.

Heh I have heard of RX7 owners who removed the Turbo'd wankle (1.3L) engine and inserted an LS1. Result was more power and I think the cars were still within 50lbs of what they were pre swap. Just more power, and cheaper parts. :patriot:

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Usually the apex seals give out, they are the weak link anyhow.

But as for DOHC motors, they are great and no problem to work on as a 4 cyl., but as for a V8.......Ford's modular SOHC and DOHC are the biggest pain to work on. I imagine any DOHC V8 would be. I hate to see GM back track on performance progress like ford did by adopting OHC design to heart. Im sure GM still could kick ass but the gain by swap ove to OHC would be minimal, there pushrods still offer performance to today's standards.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
It was a pain rebuilding that Quad4, though. Had to strip EVERYTHING away down to the block. I miss that engine, though. I wanted to take the engine out and put it in a Go-Kart.
150hp/tq Go-Kart...ohhhh yeaaahhh.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
I wouldn't think that the LS3 would be so short lived and I wouldn't think that the new engine would debut in the Camaro instead of the Vette, but I think with GM wanting its corprate average fuel economy to be higher that makes it more of a possibillity.

If not then I am sure it will be in the mid model just like 4th gen had LT1 and LS1.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Are you sure that wasn't a typo and that the LS2 is the one ending? Why would they kill the LS3, it's brand new, isn't it?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.