Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas I got a new SS and am used to driving pickups, so taking off today I missed 3rd and hit the rev limiter. I backed off pretty quick but was wondering if this is an especially bad thing since only like 150mi are on the car

·
Registered
144 Posts
Welcome from SW Wisconsin to :5go:. Congrats on the new Camaro. Post some pics if you can, we all love pictures of Camaros! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
Behave on public roads. Save that crap for the track and you'll be OK.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The rev limiter is there to help protect when you overrev the engine when you are already at high rpm. The worst enemy is a missed shift because the revs build way too quickly from a lower rpm. Naturally the lower the starting rpm and how quick it takes to hit the limiter decide how severe the occurrence could be. However, if damage occurs you will most likely know it as it will be obvious (noise, reduced pwr, etc). When I crewed on GTP cars an overrev would call for an immediate tear-down in case of a stretched rod bolt, but for street cars it really isn't that big of a deal.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Or the MGW Shifter. The one from the factory is a bit "loose" in my opinion.
Welcome to :5go::mcc:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Welcome OCss! Most likely you are OK. I was more worried about the trans when I read your post at first. LOL

The rev limiter is there to help protect when you overrev the engine when you are already at high rpm. The worst enemy is a missed shift because the revs build way too quickly from a lower rpm. Naturally the lower the starting rpm and how quick it takes to hit the limiter decide how severe the occurrence could be. However, if damage occurs you will most likely know it as it will be obvious (noise, reduced pwr, etc). When I crewed on GTP cars an overrev would call for an immediate tear-down in case of a stretched rod bolt, but for street cars it really isn't that big of a deal.
The only time an overrev was an issue with the cars I worked on was if it was on a downshift. A downshift overrev has no combustion pushing down on the piston/rod and the rods definately stretch alot! I have photos showing slight piston to valve contact on a race motor I built. The rods were permanently damaged.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
The rev limiter is there to save yer arse (most of the time), a few hits on the limiter in upshift conditions won't kill the parts, even at 150 miles, watch that 4K rpm till break in at 1500 miles is done though. Most of all, just enjoy the car and drive it within your limits, which should improve over the miles you put on it :D

Welcome to :5go:

·
Support MC & Troops
11,804 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Matching orange interior w/ Hurst short throw. Got 900 mi on it now and took my buddy up to Inglewood today to get some parts for his 06 GTO to include: Magnuson blower, Kooks headers and new cat-back. Gotta admit I already got the mod bug

Attachments

·
Support MC & Troops
11,804 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Welcome aboard. Nice ride first off, secondly as most said you should be fine. The ones you need to watch are the ones where you downshift to the wrong gear, as stated above, toasted one LS1 that way :(.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts