Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, i ran my first autocross this weekend with my car completely stock. immediately i knew i needed some work haha. As far as just suspension parts, other than springs and sway bars, what else would you recommend upgrading while im tearing everything apart? Any brand recommendations?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what do you think about more involved stuff like lower control arms, trailer arms, toe rods, subframe connectors? Also, have you heard any reviews on BMR stuff?

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
BMR is what i have on my car. i love their stuff. really stiffens everything up. anything they sell for suspension....get it. bushings will really help with all that too. they sell some great bushing packages and it will really tighten up the chassis and everythign moving. that would be my first recommmendation, before buying all their other parts. sway bars are next.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive read a lot about bushing replacement....i just cant grasp why changing something that seems so small can make such a big difference....mind explaining it?

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
the bushings in the car now are rubber. they have alot of give to it. basically it gives the car such a nice comfortable ride. when you replace these with a poly bushing, the material is much more solid, yet has some give to it. any spot that has a movement, in the suspension has a bushing on the end of it. once these are switched, everything tightens up.basically gives you better response,better feel, stiffer ride. handles all around better. my car is solid from all the Pedders bushings i put on it. i have pretty much every suspension part replaced on my car, that you can replace. except the rear lower control arms, which ill do this winter and the stut tower brace, which may be this winter also.

·
Registered
12 Posts
you may want to focus on the understeer so sway bars might be what you want to get first. if you dont plan to autocross that often this also might be something you want to try first before stiffening up the suspension.

just a thought.

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
the car could still use a stiffer suspension, even if your not autocrossing it. it will just make it that much more nimble and controlable. not to mention, bushings are cheap to do.

·
2016 Camaro 1SS
769 Posts
I would seriously get lowering springs (the center of gravity needs to come down for auto crossing especially if you are on smaller courses) and then grab sway bars will really help your turn in. End links are not super strong on these cars and some auto crossers have had them break so you may want to replace them. I would also consider rear trailing arms to reduce the rear wheel wheel hop.

It is a never ending chase for handling. The other members are right about the bushings as well. I would start with a few and see what you feel rather than buying everything at once.

A lot depends on what class you want to run in also. Once you jump out of stock class then you have to decide what other options might make you competitive like new light rims and tires.

All my Auto Cross buddys are always chasing making the car just that much better. Its fun but gets pricey.

So decide how far you want to go because certain mods take you out of the stock class. Get a list from your local SCCA so you know what you can do within each class. Certain jumps are not worth it for me which is why I still run stock gears.

Sorry for long post

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No need to be sorry for a long post haha. lots of good information in there...and thanks for your input

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey dirt...whats the price tag on that pedders kit? i looked at the link you posted but didnt see a price...and mojave, i would love to get some SCCA contacts or find somewhere for the rules and what makes up different classes. Thanks for help

·
Registered
90 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
IMHO, it's best to go one step at a time. At the risk of hurting your feelings ( hope not), the limiting factor is the driver in the early stages. The more events you do, the faster you wil get.

Believe it or not the best mods to start with are:
1. Experimenting with tire pressures
2. Get a good alignment, neg camber up front will help
3. Tires
4. Sway bars

You will be surprised how much fun you will have without spending a lot of $.

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
id have to say that to your list of top 4 things to do...lowering the car would be one of the biggest factors. not only will if help with a bit of body roll, but it loweres your center of gravity, which in the end will let you take corners a bit quicker than the stock height.....these cars sit too tall from the factory.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It was your 1st autocross, I wouldn't recommend doing a thing to the car. Go to a bunch more, get more driving experience before swapping out anything.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts