Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

After reading the motortrend of the camaro vs challanger vs mustang gt...

whats going to happen when the 5.0 comes out aka Coyote?

Will the mustang out do the camaro in acceleration and top speed and surpass us for first? I dont See Gm topping Ford in year 2 with a bump in hp.....
I would still never buy a Mustang or any Ford lol
but i cant help but think or even wonder ... will the 5.0 liter and less weight be enough to rise above the Camaro? ... it’s already a photo finish or better yet a slightly Win for Camaro now with us using a LS3 and Mustang with there 4.6L according to motortrend. They didnt say Mustang was on our bumper....probably due to weight !
I understand Mustang can only Gain weight by adding Hp or a Larger motor however will it Be like the weight on the Camaro and will the new 5.0 be enough to get that extra length on us ?

Yalls Thoughts ?

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
I think 3300 isn't realistic...it'll be more like 3600+ IMO. Isn't the 2010 'stang around 3500? (I may be wrong, I don't pretend to be a mustang expert).

It's still lighter...but it's only a number...I'd rather have a Camaro no matter how little the 'stang weights.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I would think the bigger motor and changes they will need to make to the front suspension to acommodate the extra weight and power will bump the mustang up a couple hundred pounds. That would even out the advantage a little more. I have to say, i was impressed by how closely the mustang held up to the new camaro in acceloration and beat it in handling. Even with a live rear axle. God, did I just say that?

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
I have to say, i was impressed by how closely the mustang held up to the new camaro in acceloration and beat it in handling. Even with a live rear axle. God, did I just say that?
I think the new 'stang also has 3.73's...so that helps with 0-60.

I'm not sure if I believe that the mustang will out-handle the Camaro...did Motor Trend REALLY say that? I have read that the 2010 'stang IS the best handling mustang ever.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think the Mustang will be faster. I'm also guessing that Ford has already ordered an SS. There just waiting, watching there build order to see when they can take delivery.

I hope they did not order cyber grey.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
This made me happy...

"Graced with massive power, excellent efficiency, unfailing refinement, and show-stopping looks, the Camaro SS nails every essential for its segment."

·
Registered
65 Posts
Great review, unbiased by fan boys on any side. nice to see the SS and GT so close think it will make both owners happy. Now its just up to the individual what they like more w/o listening to biased opinions. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would think the bigger motor and changes they will need to make to the front suspension to acommodate the extra weight and power will bump the mustang up a couple hundred pounds. That would even out the advantage a little more. I have to say, i was impressed by show closely the mustang held up to the new camaro in acceloration and beat it in handling. Even with a live rear axle. God, did I just say that?
I agree...as bad as I have to say it but I do agree......with a live rear axle the stang beat the Camaro through the slalom and the Camaro has a IRS.

Funny thing is they mentioned the V6 kicked ass through the slalom since it wasnt as heavy. Now thats the future road course car :thumbsup: 300hp V6 A$$ kicking on a road course !

·
A New Camaro, Excellent!
529 Posts
I dont think the general will let ford out due us. I believe the 6.3L block has much more potential.

If and when that coyote engine comes out, i'm sure we'll see a horsepower increase in camaro. Remember the LS2 was in the vette for only 3 production years before they received the LS3.

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I dont think the general will let ford out due us. I believe the 6.3L block has much more potential.

If and when that coyote engine comes out, i'm sure we'll see a horsepower increase in camaro. Remember the LS2 was in the vette for only 3 production years before they received the LS3.

Come on Fleege we all mess up besides maybe thats how gm is going to answer my question add 1 more liter to kill the coyote :D

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
The 5.0 is not expected until at least 2011. That 3300 is also way off given your average GT weighs anywhere from 3500-3600. The new one is supposed to have a 6 speed and the possibility of an IRS. I'd imagine at least a 100 lb gain in beefing up the car to handle the extra 100 HP. It will still be lighter but not like 400-500 lbs lighter. 2011 would make 3 years the LS3 will have been out and I would be expecting it's ready for a bump. I see a drivers race when they come out.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
I like the camaro just as much as the mustang, but I hope the Camaro can stay on top...because then a FIREBIRD is in our future!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts