Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to run my '68 at the drags tonight and want to know what most people run their tire pressure at on a set of 555R's?

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
Too bad you don't have a little more time to do some testing. You might have to do some experimenting. I usually start out at around 25psi on street tires and adjust from there. It takes time to find out what works for your set-up.

Have a friend video your passes. Post them up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I started at 28 which is what I run on the street and it actually seemed to hook up pretty good. Then I went to 24 and it broke loose a little so I went to 18 thinking ok they are going to be soft and should hook great but, on that pass, I broke them totally loose so I'm baffled. I wasn't running much fuel at all... probably only 4 gallons on the first pass and then down from there plus I might have been stalling up a little more each time but not by much. I probably stalled at about 2000 on the last past. One thing I noticed was during my burnout the tires wouldn't produce smoke hardly at all. Are you supposed to heat these tires up or not? I just couldn't believe how bad I broke them loose when they were at 18. I wanted to keep dropping them until the rearend started feeling loose on the big end and then add just enough to take that away.

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
Street radials: Go around the water just clean them off. IMO no need to do a long smokey burn-out.

What were you 60' and 1/4 times for these passes?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On my first and best run I had a 60' time of 1.831 a 330' of 5.405 an 1/8 of [email protected] a 1000' of 11.035 and a 1/4 of [email protected] I had a shift module of 5800 in during this pass.

On my next pass I had a 60' time of 1.854 a 330' of 5.414 an 1/8 of [email protected] a 1000' of 11.046 and a 1/4 of [email protected] I had a shif module of 5400 in during this pass.

I did notice the tires chirping more on the second pass but it looks like I was making up time by shifting a little earlier but then what gets me is where I lost time from the 1/8 to 1000' mark because I was on pace to run a quicker 1/4 even though my 60' was slower by .023.

Then my last past I could really tell I broke the tires loose and my 60' was 2.189.

I wish I could come across some of my old time sheets to see what I used to run a 60' time in when I know I wasn't spinning the tires at all.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am right in thinking to run my tires with as little pressure as possible without getting loose on the big end right?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts