Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, two years ago I was faced with a decision when I was getting my first car. I knew I was getting a Cobalt, but I had to choose to either get the SS Supercharged then and hold on to it for some time or get a 2.2 N/A, pay lower insurance, and save up for something greater. I'll let you guys guess what car I've been saving for :cool:

Anyways here are some pics of my car now, no major mods as I said I've holding back with the cash to save up for the Camaro. Sorry I don't have any good daylight shots, these are just some pics from a last minute photoshoot on the roof of my school's parking deck.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
How's the acceleration? I'm pondering a 'balt for my next vehicle(gas mileage)..but I want a coupe with a 5spd :D.

And I believe the 2.2l Ecotec is a distant relative of my beloved Quad4. That nuclear-reactor of an engine holds a special place in my heart.

Unstable as all get out..but incredibly fast.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How's the acceleration? I'm pondering a 'balt for my next vehicle(gas mileage)..but I want a coupe with a 5spd :D.

And I believe the 2.2l Ecotec is a distant relative of my beloved Quad4. That nuclear-reactor of an engine holds a special place in my heart.

Unstable as all get out..but incredibly fast.

It's a good car for its class. I do mostly city driving and my fuel economy is usually in the mid-high 20's. The Ecotecs are a seperate platform from the Quad4 but it is its successor. Acceleration isn't bad, GMPP intake and the exhaust off the SS/SC helped to free things up a bit in my case. Unfortunately the ECM for the 2.2 models has yet to be cracked so if you want to do any tuning its either stand alone or nothing. Compared to other similarly priced cars I think the 2.2 Cobalt is a good deal. For a little more you can get a Cobalt sport 2.4 (formerly the Cobalt SS N/A) which will bump you about 25hp. I drove one at GM Rev It Up at Englishtown Raceway park and while I don't think it was that much faster than my car, it was a fun drive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Friend of mine has a 2007 Cobalt with the 2.2L and a 5-speed.
It's pretty much as base-model as you can get (black LS coupe).

He ran a 15.40 1/4 mile, and it gets 40mpg on the highway. :)
That's a **** good time for a 2.2, is he stock? If so he must be a good driver.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
welcome from TN! The Cobalts are a definate step up over the cavs. My brother has one just like yours. It's a nice little car.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
It's a good car for its class. I do mostly city driving and my fuel economy is usually in the mid-high 20's. The Ecotecs are a seperate platform from the Quad4 but it is its successor. Acceleration isn't bad, GMPP intake and the exhaust off the SS/SC helped to free things up a bit in my case. Unfortunately the ECM for the 2.2 models has yet to be cracked so if you want to do any tuning its either stand alone or nothing. Compared to other similarly priced cars I think the 2.2 Cobalt is a good deal. For a little more you can get a Cobalt sport 2.4 (formerly the Cobalt SS N/A) which will bump you about 25hp. I drove one at GM Rev It Up at Englishtown Raceway park and while I don't think it was that much faster than my car, it was a fun drive.
The problem with the 2.4 is that it recommends premium gasoline(to get it's boost in power, I know people who have 2.4's and ran them with regular and noticed a decrease in power). While the 2.2 doesn't. :D

I'm not a big tuner-head anyway. Exhaust..K&N intake..that'd be about the extent for me more than likely.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.