Modern Camaro Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so the bare-bones low-tech version is scrapped, it'll cost more than a Mustang, the V6 will have every technology imaginable and still only get 25 MPG, and if you don't like that maybe there'll be a turbo-4. What the hell is wrong with these people?

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080319/FREE/86927553/1024

On the plus side there'll be plenty of after market accessories so you can personalize it. How dare he call past 6-cyl's weasely? They did what they were supposed to, same engine as the Bonnevilles etc, but less baggage. And he called 'em rough too, (the 3.4's did snarl) but come on, it's a Camaro, don't act like the 6 cyl customer is going to be offended by it just because you want to push something else.

I'm no muscle-car madman, I don't care if it'll launch, but I like my basic transportation unit to be efficient, adequate, and designed for raw functionality, not manufacturability and brochure-lust.

Here's what I'm thinking - they don't want to sell us what we want to buy anymore, (I know some of you can't live without 600 fire breathing horses, but the 6's sold, and in mainstream cars, without the low stance and control, a V6 is top of the line). They want to sell us what they want to build, sell, and profit from. Like, the setup is you get almost the same gas mileage either way, only thing you decide is how much more you pay for extra power - and what do you think the markup will be?

Here's what I want - the 3.9L, well rounded, all the pluses of an SOHC, none of the BS. Give me the 3.9 in a back-wheel drive manual transmission platform, even if it does weigh the same as an Australian taxicab as long as we don't pay by the pound. I could still beat the 3.6 for fuel economy, pocket $1500-to-manufacture, have less moving parts to worry about, and have the power closer to home for everyday use. Think of what the 3.9 gets in a Pontiac G6, minus the automatic trans and the front wheel drive.

If the almighty Chevy doesn't want to offer a business model that isn't either made in the plant in Ohio that gave us aluminum-cylinder Vegas or what 30% of Red-Chinese motorists prefer - **** it anyway. That's all the excuse I need to look up an old Ford Torino or something I can put back together myself.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
yeah, you could at least say "Hi" before you start yelling "The sky is falling!!!"

·
Registered
6 Posts
As the entire Camaro community anticipates the official launch of the 5th generation Camaro a certain phrase has been floating around given to us by a certain and important individual, and that is, "Keep the faith". Here's something else you might also want to read, carefully.... oh yeh, these are also the words of that certain and important individual whom you might want to put a lot of stock in:

Many quotes -- and more misquotes in the past week.

Do not take everything you hear as gospel......some quotes were taken out of context -- others had numbers and such wrong.

Premium.....the V8 Camaro will not be $37,000 -- if it were, it would bomb.
It will be affordable and it will be in Mustang territory. "Premium" could mean a few hundred dollars......

We think you're going to be pleasantly surprised at horsepower and torque numbers -- fuel economy - and standard equipment -- (Or -- Good ole fashioned 'bang for the buck' ...) This car is going to have some details that 'surprise and delight' -- ......

You've heard me say this before and I'll say it again......there is a lot riding on this new Camaro -- and some of the best in the industry are working on it.......

Have I lied to you yet??????

Now-- go forth with your enthusiasm -- (but when you hear some high pricetag put on the car -- don't believe it -- the LAST thing we'll do is price it.........)

(by the way -- the "!2 disciples of which there are 15" will be coming to Detroit in May -- and they may have some impressions for you once they return home.) (.......that is, if we can get them to stop grinning wildly....)

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Easiest way to get better gas mileage? High ration 6th gear. It's a highway gear only, and if you are running at ~1000-1200 RPM, you are getting good gas mileage. I can tell you that as a fact that my 1994 Corvette runs about those RPM at 75 MPH, and my computer says I'm getting and AVERAGE of 35 MPG (hills and valleys change it up and down). Add AFM to a high-ratio 6th gear, and you are in the money!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Easiest way to get better gas mileage? High ration 6th gear. It's a highway gear only, and if you are running at ~1000-1200 RPM, you are getting good gas mileage. I can tell you that as a fact that my 1994 Corvette runs about those RPM at 75 MPH, and my computer says I'm getting and AVERAGE of 35 MPG (hills and valleys change it up and down). Add AFM to a high-ratio 6th gear, and you are in the money!
Truth be told though, a lot of people don't live in Kansas. I doubt you'd be able to achieve that kind of gas mileage in your Vette on the 405 @ 5pm in L.A. If the Camaro V8 puts out something like 18 city and 25+ Highway I'll be happy, and by todays' technological standards I don't think that's asking much.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I second that!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Not that I would buy the V6 but in that article, it says it will be rated at 260hp whereas the CTS is rated at 304hp... why such a difference?

·
Premium Member
9,152 Posts
so the bare-bones low-tech version is scrapped, it'll cost more than a Mustang, the V6 will have every technology imaginable and still only get 25 MPG, and if you don't like that maybe there'll be a turbo-4. What the hell is wrong with these people?

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080319/FREE/86927553/1024

On the plus side there'll be plenty of after market accessories so you can personalize it. How dare he call past 6-cyl's weasely? They did what they were supposed to, same engine as the Bonnevilles etc, but less baggage. And he called 'em rough too, (the 3.4's did snarl) but come on, it's a Camaro, don't act like the 6 cyl customer is going to be offended by it just because you want to push something else.

I'm no muscle-car madman, I don't care if it'll launch, but I like my basic transportation unit to be efficient, adequate, and designed for raw functionality, not manufacturability and brochure-lust.

Here's what I'm thinking - they don't want to sell us what we want to buy anymore, (I know some of you can't live without 600 fire breathing horses, but the 6's sold, and in mainstream cars, without the low stance and control, a V6 is top of the line). They want to sell us what they want to build, sell, and profit from. Like, the setup is you get almost the same gas mileage either way, only thing you decide is how much more you pay for extra power - and what do you think the markup will be?

Here's what I want - the 3.9L, well rounded, all the pluses of an SOHC, none of the BS. Give me the 3.9 in a back-wheel drive manual transmission platform, even if it does weigh the same as an Australian taxicab as long as we don't pay by the pound. I could still beat the 3.6 for fuel economy, pocket $1500-to-manufacture, have less moving parts to worry about, and have the power closer to home for everyday use. Think of what the 3.9 gets in a Pontiac G6, minus the automatic trans and the front wheel drive.

If the almighty Chevy doesn't want to offer a business model that isn't either made in the plant in Ohio that gave us aluminum-cylinder Vegas or what 30% of Red-Chinese motorists prefer - **** it anyway. That's all the excuse I need to look up an old Ford Torino or something I can put back together myself.

Welcome aboard Chicken Little :D

Not sure where you are getting your infomation, but it sounds like you need to read up on some of the details GM has already given us regarding the Camaro program :cool:

·
Registered
620 Posts
UUUMMMMMM!?!?!?!?! wow this person need to stick to his honda and be happy with that and stop bashing others he knows little about. :screwy::confused:

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Two days, two mustang posts. Must be a forum war. :BangHead:

yeah, kinda ironic that the 2 guys never came back after their initial posts.:hello:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's called having a life junior.

Now what do we know about linear programming? Anyone? The guy who said I should stick to my Honda perhaps? There’s got to be a tool & die man or two here…

Really, I’m heading somewhere with this...

·
Registered
1,135 Posts

Now what do we know about linear programming? Anyone? The guy who said I should stick to my Honda perhaps? There’s got to be a tool & die man or two here…

Hey, just because you know how to do LP doesn't mean you jack about the new Camaro. Touting your education and or work experience as a way to garner attention and credibility is a load of bulls%$t and (assuming your as mature as you make yourself out to be) you know it!

EDIT: In response to your "I have a life" statement, I'm a third year Architectural Design major and I still find time to keep up to date on my posts.

And if you think I'm an a$$, wait till you piss off Devryn.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts

yeah that's mature. I'm sure I'm not your junior. So where are you "heading" with this?

OK, no more bickering.:patriot:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.