Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i know about this on the chevy cobalt and hhr, i thought they would be the only cars to get it. but now i saw this video from garage 419 and when John Heinricy was driving the cts-v he said he was no-lift shifting. now it makes me wonder since the camaro has launch control if it will have no lift shift since it seems like it would be an easy ecu tune add on

here goes the video, skip to the nine minute mark i think to hear about the no lift shift
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB8ibDrfmA8

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
""you wish you could keep up with us m6 guys:D
Shakes head come on lol hope you dont miss a gear......The A6 wont lol

Maybe you M6 guys can lose to us A6 guys by a smaller margin now.:p
:roxor:

I lived my days of driving 80mph + on the highway back 8 years ago :D All I need now is enough room inbetween 2 traffic lights :cool: oh yeah and of course to and from my house lol I think I may be leaning towards an automatic lol

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
NEVER ? ;) thats a big word I dont even think the best can go without missing a gear. Only way I would go back to a standard was if it was a 4 speed....I may be only 27 but I know what to use and whats worthless.
6 speeds are easy to miss a shift especially when shifting into 3rd from a dead start.

An older Gentleman at a local track gave out some good info when drag racing a stick at a track...... " usually you will most always skip 3rd for some odd reason to fix that problem most of the time put a piece of tape on the dash above your a/c vent when you leave 2nd point your hand and the shifter knob towards that piece of tape dont worry about missing a gear that normally works 99% of the time.....however unless you are dam near perfect No One can hold a Transmission on a gear to the right moment to when it needs to be shifted like a automatic "

He raced with M21 4 speeds !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! unless a 4speed is in the 5thgen im going with the A6 :D

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
from what i understand, no lift shifting is when u can keep the throttle to the floor the whole time while shifting, they have a rev limiter so it will only go to a certain number of rpm's while the clutch is out allowing u to keep your foot planted. it's not like power shifting which is super hard on the tranny and not good for it i believe.it's really useful on turbo cars like the hhr ss and cobalt ss because it allows them to keep their turbos spooled

that's my best explination, maybe someone can do better, i'm not exactly a gearhead lol

·
Registered
177 Posts
from what i understand, no lift shifting is when u can keep the throttle to the floor the whole time while shifting, they have a rev limiter so it will only go to a certain number of rpm's while the clutch is out allowing u to keep your foot planted. it's not like power shifting which is super hard on the tranny and not good for it i believe.it's really useful on turbo cars like the hhr ss and cobalt ss because it allows them to keep their turbos spooled

that's my best explination, maybe someone can do better, i'm not exactly a gearhead lol
makes sense, i known their is a point where the transmission is spinning at the same speed as someting, and then you can just shift, shows how much i knw

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
NEVER ? ;) thats a big word I dont even think the best can go without missing a gear. Only way I would go back to a standard was if it was a 4 speed....I may be only 27 but I know what to use and whats worthless.
6 speeds are easy to miss a shift especially when shifting into 3rd from a dead start.

An older Gentleman at a local track gave out some good info when drag racing a stick at a track...... " usually you will most always skip 3rd for some odd reason to fix that problem most of the time put a piece of tape on the dash above your a/c vent when you leave 2nd point your hand and the shifter knob towards that piece of tape dont worry about missing a gear that normally works 99% of the time.....however unless you are dam near perfect No One can hold a Transmission on a gear to the right moment to when it needs to be shifted like a automatic "

He raced with M21 4 speeds !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! unless a 4speed is in the 5thgen im going with the A6 :D

i didn't say never did i?:confused:

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
No you didnt say those words never but to me in a way Won't means Im not going to do it lol
Hey I love sticks and they are fun as hell but I can honestly say there are times when you dont hit every gear. OH well its all good imo they are both fun just depends on what you want.

·
8,984 Posts
It is called speed shifting and I have been doing it since my first car.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i read in motor trend that the no lift shift feature in the cts-v is in every shift except first to second. i hope we get this in the camaro

has anyone heard of it in any corvettes? if they have it in a corvette the chances of the feature being in the camaro would be highly likely i would think

thanx

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
You can do this in any car even if isn't rev. limited. You just have to make sure you are careful and don't exceed the red line.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeah but isn't it hard on the transmission? having it bounce off the redline while engaging the clutch again doesn't sound so good

these no lift shift cars keep the rpm down to the perfect spot to engage the clutch again from what i hear. the computer can tell whether the clutch is engaged or not i think, adjusting the rev limiter

·
8,984 Posts
yeah but isn't it hard on the transmission? having it bounce off the redline while engaging the clutch again doesn't sound so good

these no lift shift cars keep the rpm down to the perfect spot to engage the clutch again from what i hear. the computer can tell whether the clutch is engaged or not i think, adjusting the rev limiter
You gotta be quick!

·
Registered
21 Posts
You gotta be quick!
If your quick enough you can shift just as fast and effectively by lifting off the gas and not using the rev limiter. I don't really see how it can be faster because one foot still has to go to the floor and back to depress the clutch. While that foot is going down the other should be simultaneously coming up off the gas and then back down while the clutch foot is coming up. If its quick enough you don't lose any RPMs during the shift. In fact doing a "no lift shift" will most likely cause the tires to chirp and you might lose speed.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts