Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone else done this? Went to my muffler shop and had plenty of options...Had to cut the mufflers off to do anything, so we started it to check the "raw" sound. It was still fairly quiet! Great rumble and anything but obnoxious. Only a very slight drone when cruising at 65 at 2K RPM - not bad at all, though. Sounds wicked cool at WOT. Easy and cheap! This pic is from my phone - sorry. Oh yeah, saved a good 30+ pounds as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you still happy with the result? I haven't done any long distance driving yet - am just a little concerned about the drone...Thanks.

·
Registered
146 Posts
might sound a little different but you wont gain any performance,, if you cut one of the stock mufflers apart you will see it is a straight pipe through the muffler inside with a bunch of fiberglass packing material

·
Registered
146 Posts
Looks like the mufflers are still there....are you referring to the resonators?

he is showing a pic of the rear under side of the car with the mufflers cut off and straight pipe welded in place

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
might sound a little different but you wont gain any performance,, if you cut one of the stock mufflers apart you will see it is a straight pipe through the muffler inside with a bunch of fiberglass packing material
its not a straight pipe, there are holes all alround the pipe that lets the exhaust go into the can.

the slp loudmouth is just a muffler delete as well.

dyno #s prove that this makes more power.

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Are you still happy with the result? I haven't done any long distance driving yet - am just a little concerned about the drone...Thanks.
no drone here, although i am installing a magnaflow TRU-X PIPE ( 10791 ) to get rip of the popping under hard decelaration

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
can you just unbolt them to try like on the G8 GT?

My mother-in-law has a new SS......... but I don't want to CUT her's off and she not like it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, you have to cut them off.

And that is a pic of the underside of the back end - mufflers are out. Bad pic, as it's from my cell phone - the new pipe sections are painted black. Looks way better than having those huge cans under there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
no more mufflers

Anyone else done this? Went to my muffler shop and had plenty of options...Had to cut the mufflers off to do anything, so we started it to check the "raw" sound. It was still fairly quiet! Great rumble and anything but obnoxious. Only a very slight drone when cruising at 65 at 2K RPM - not bad at all, though. Sounds wicked cool at WOT. Easy and cheap! This pic is from my phone - sorry. Oh yeah, saved a good 30+ pounds as well.

yes i just had it done sounds much better

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'd like to see some mandrel bends under there, sounds pretty good though. Just remember, if and when you remove those cats, you'll need mufflers of some sort. I don't care what kind of car it is, no back pressure sounds like crap.

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
just added an x-pipe, mellowed out the WOT, but it made a HUGE diff. in power that i can feel. i wil dyno it again after the CAI is installed weds. the other pic is the wimpy factory h-pipe.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
SWEET! where did you get the X pipe? looks like it just pops right in.
as for the muffler delete, i would agree that mandrel bends would look LOADS better than nasty crimp bends. just looks cheap (nothing wrong with cheap power!) where a nice gentle smooth bend would actually look sleek. i would also consider just replacing the MUFFLERS, not the pipe bends (unless the OEM pipes are crimp bent also?). i think if i did this i would get resonators inplace of the mufflers. much like the loudmouth II.
:thumbsup:
great idea though!!!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts