Modern Camaro Forums banner

no super unleaded

4K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  Dragoneye 
#1 ·
Yesterday on the way home i needed gas stoped at the neerest station no super or mid grade went to the next no super clerk said they may not get any more super no one is buying it . This made me think what if none of these store /stations stop getting super or even mid grade? Does any think the new CAMARO will run on mid grade? Ihave run my 02 z on mid grade on the highway .

#7 ·
My in-laws have a 92 Bonneville SSEI, which is supposed to take premium. A while ago, my father-in-law (cheap!) started putting in regular, and they have had more problems with that thing ever since that point than they had in the years leading up to now.

Granted, it is absolutely ancient now.

#12 ·
When I hear people say "with gas prices the way they are I wont dare dish out for premium" ...I just dont get it...

Math people..Do most people not realize it would cost you 5 dollars more TOPS to bump to premium and has been quoted to increase mpg? I just dont understand why some people would dish out for a camaro, challenger, or hell even mustang...and not want to put the best **** thing in their vehicle?

#13 ·
Well, since I'm the one who said in this thread 'with gas prices the way they are' I will take it upon myself to be the one to answer you, regardless of the fact that I drive a V6 Mustang and want only a V6 Camaro. First of all, higher octane fuel does not increase miles per gallon in your car. The closest thing to that even being true is that if your engine is tuned to use a higher octane fuel, it will - over time - get damaged from using lower octane fuel and thus reduce fuel efficiency.

However, you want the people who are, in your mind, being cheap on gasoline prices to do the math and recognize that higher octane fuel would only cost, in your statement, $5 more than regular. Well, I would like you to do the real math, though not with any specific numbers. Consider that gasoline is used not only in your personal car, but also the car that brings the goods to your local publix. Well, the gasoline prices are increasing, and the suppliers are not going to want to earn any less money, so they had a higher gas surcharge onto the super market for their orders. Well, I can assure you Publix does not wish to make any less money, so their prices are going to go up to reflect the further charge on them. At the same time, your personal income isn't changing, because all firms are feeling the effects of oil spread out through them and costs are increasing on them. So, you, as both a consumer and a worker for one of these firms have less disposable income on which you can spend for luxury items. Is gasoline for a higher octane really worth you not going out to eat that one night a week that you normally do?

Which leads me into a further example, because honestly I'm a little peeved at what I percieved as an attack on the logic of my statement before. My parents own a small Italian restaurant in Ormond Beach (which is north of Daytona). The aforementioned gas surcharge is also charged on their restaurant by our suppliers. Not only that, but the suppliers are also enforcing a minimum order value due to the increasing price of gasoline. So, this causes the restaurant's costs to heighten. The obvious recourse is to increase prices, right? Well, with business already down, an increase i nthe price of the restaurant's food would likely lead to a further drop of customers. Customers to not come unconditionally, because theyare the same consumers paying more at the supermarket and gas pump as well. Therefore, the restaurant - and by ownership, my parents - have less disposable income than they are used to.

But, by all means, chastise the people who don't wish tospend an extra $5 at the gas pump, which according to math become $260 on a year, if you only fill up once a week. You can still go and fill up with premium gas, but most people are just trying to hold onto their slice of the American dream by cutting corners here and there.

#14 · (Edited)
It's probably more like $3 more a tank for super...I don't see it as a big deal. You're spending $60+ to fill your tank, what's an extra $3 if it makes your car run better? If the manufacturer recommends super, in most cases, I would think the car will run better (and more efficient) on super in the long run. That said, I don't understand the people who insist on putting super in cars that don't require it.

For people who are REALLY concerned, you could always get a PCM tune for better MPG and lower octane gas.

#15 ·
Your engine knows the octane it needs and will tell you.

Now, using the proper octane gasoline can actually increase your mpg, depending on your situation. With the anti-knock action going on, the computer will back off timing so you can run the cheaper stuff and not kill your engine-- much. But, this COULD affect your mpg, albeit slightly, I would imagine as the car isn't running to optimum tune.

Also, the proportion to the expense of premium vs. regular, if dictated by your engine needs, is dirt cheap compared to just a couple of years ago. Around here, you can get premium for 20 cents/gallon more. On a 16 gallon tank, that's 3.20 more MAX for premium. If your car only needed mid-grade, then you're talking 1.60. Either way, that's less than the cost of one Starbucks anything and definitely less than an extra gallon of gas.

Just because they have or don't have premium doesn't mean you absolutely need it, though. Normally, following the manufacturer's recommendations will get you right where you need to be. With that said, anyone that runs a car on regular but the car requires premium to run right is certainly asking for trouble down the road and is, IMO, crazy for doing so. If you can't afford to run the right fuel in it, then trade it in for an econo-box.

Of course, even if you don't need it, if it gives you a warm fuzzy, it never hurts to use premium.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.