Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
20" rubber is really expensive and it's hard to find the tires you want. It's about twice as much as 16" rubber. And to make matters worse, there is almost no choices in the performance category in this size. This is actually a big problem for someone like me who is ultra picky about tires.

Kumho Ecsta SPT is the only summer tire I see on tirerack in 245/45 20 size. There is also Goodyear which I won't touch. So two terrible choices so far. And of course they don't make those tires in the sizes to fit the rear. lol Looking at the rears, $351 to $423 and they don't make the matching tires for the front. Yeah I don't know what some of the early adopters are going to do.

·
Registered
39 Posts
wow...that is an issue. Im picky about tires my self. Dont know what to think about that.

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Second question would be, do the 18's clear the Brembos? And how does the car look with smaller rims? Funny how the wheel upgrade from 18's only upgrades the rears to 19's. Then they go straight to 20's. Those are some really tall wheels. I guess I'll have to see them in person to decide. With aftermarket wheels one might be able to get different sizes and hopefully find tires that fit. I don't know about these stock rim sizes though.

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
The 19" wheel upgrade on the LT is all 4 wheels.

Tire height is 28.6" for the 5th Gen.
Compared to 25.6" on the 4th Gen.

3 inch difference, so with a 3 inch larger wheel you'll have the same sidewall.
16" wheel on a 4th Gen = 19" wheel on a 5th Gen
17" wheel on a 4th Gen = 20" wheel on a 5th Gen

Yeah, these sizes will be a little pricey at first.
But think about what 245/50-16 or 275/40-17 tires cost in 1993... same problem then as now.

·
Registered
97 Posts
And what about drag radials? Dont think I have ever heard of a 20".
Goodrich has a 19".

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Try tires.com

It is the website for America's Tire Company/Discount Tire. I am in Cali, but I assume they are nationwide. I searched 245/40/20, while a bit lower in profile, they have some excellent choices: BF Goodrich, Cooper, Michelin, and Yokahama. I currently run 305/55/20 on my Dodge Ram. I went with the Yokahamas and have not been disappointed. I run my truck pretty hard.

Edit - I just entered the same size on tire rack and got some nice choices. Be ready, they are pricey!!

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 19" wheel upgrade on the LT is all 4 wheels.

Tire height is 28.6" for the 5th Gen.
Compared to 25.6" on the 4th Gen.

3 inch difference, so with a 3 inch larger wheel you'll have the same sidewall.
16" wheel on a 4th Gen = 19" wheel on a 5th Gen
17" wheel on a 4th Gen = 20" wheel on a 5th Gen

Yeah, these sizes will be a little pricey at first.
But think about what 245/50-16 or 275/40-17 tires cost in 1993... same problem then as now.
Is that going to make it seem like we have tiny gears? Those are huge wheels and they totally offset the big gear ratios I was so excited about. I mean we're going to be running 28" rubber.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am wondering if anyone has heard if there will be a spare tire in the trunk or just a repair kit like the one thats comes with the Solstice, I like to see atleast a mini tire.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I believe I heard no spare (at least with the 20")... Then again, I can't recall where from so I might just be losing my mind.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Runflats maybe? I did notice on one of the tire sites that some companys make 20" runflats. But then tire sensors may be needed. My TBSS has a warning light when the tire pressure gets to low but they are not run flat tires. Just a thought.
My vette had runflats but went with non runflats and picked up a tire repair kit from tire rack. A kit might not be a bad idea to keep in the car, the spare has got to be small and with 20" tires and a dounut for a spare, that wouldn't be good for the rearend.

·
Registered
39 Posts
non specialty tires

20" rubber is really expensive and it's hard to find the tires you want. It's about twice as much as 16" rubber. And to make matters worse, there is almost no choices in the performance category in this size. This is actually a big problem for someone like me who is ultra picky about tires.

Kumho Ecsta SPT is the only summer tire I see on tirerack in 245/45 20 size. There is also Goodyear which I won't touch. So two terrible choices so far. And of course they don't make those tires in the sizes to fit the rear. lol Looking at the rears, $351 to $423 and they don't make the matching tires for the front. Yeah I don't know what some of the early adopters are going to do.
do you think the increasing demand for large tires (18"+) on the camaros, challys, stangs leads to more competitive products and pricing from the manufacturers? i have to say yes, as with any high demand market. it attracts suppliers and competition, and in five years they may be as common as 16" and 17" tires are today, along with the prices to match. no worries ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts