Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
*Sigh* I've heard this before, but it's still sad to hear... I hope they do a REALLY good job on the GTO, no more cutting corners.

·
Supporting Super Moderator
5,668 Posts
Yep I think we all knew CAFE stuck a fork in that.

·
5,668 Posts
I don't quite understand why this is a story again.
We've known for 4 years already that the Firebird & TransAm aren't coming back.
Yeah me either. I seen it this moring before the news bot posted it, but didn't think it was worth posting.

I asked SS about it a couple months ago. The way he talked if CAFE had not passed then their was a possiblilty even though it was a small possiblity, but he said if CAFE passed it was pretty much gone.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Exactly, the only people who didn't realize that the Firebird and Trans Am weren't coming back a long time ago had their head in the sand.

·
5,668 Posts
there was nothing there for CAFE to stick a fork into...
Well like I said SS told me this:
"If America suddenly starts to buy a lot of coupes, it may be a viable future product -- but the sad fact is that coupes are a very very small piece of the overall business......and to tool a Firebird to look substantially different than a Camaro would be very costly -- and the numbers simply don't work.

I won't say it won't happen -- 'cuz 'never' is a long time! I think you stand a better chance of seeing a Pontiac entry that's larger overall than a Chevy entry -- that said -- I don't see any additional entries until the U. S. Government decides what the future CAFE standards will be -- there is a very real possibility that the CAFE standard will be 35mpg by 2118 -- and that would change everyones' game."

I am sure he has said the above many times.

From my take on what he said, CAFE pretty much seals the deal that there won't be a firebird. To me he was not ruling it out if CAFE had not passed.

·
2,416 Posts
The article claims pontiac will stay car based. Isn't the ute going to be called a sport truck?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
No T/A for Pontiac...gee...NO KIDDING. We have known this forever. Wait..what's that I hear? Oh, it's just Burt Reynolds, sobbing uncontrollably!:lol:

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
Maybe they are just rubbing it in....some people have been delusional in thinking that GM would revive the Firebird.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts