Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Camaro Update: A Few Little Things...

I dont care if its not non-confirmed or whatever, Im bored, its slow, and I like people to chew on this subject.
Some good discussion, please.

El Kabong
Addict | Posts: 6936 | Joined: 08/06 Posted: Yesterday 10:01 AM

So today I caught up to my old buddy McGurk over at the Camaro Pilot project, and he brought me up to speed (ahem) on how the Camaro is progressing. I won't delve into hard numbers, because I do not want to get fired. However, he was able to tell me a few interesting snippets of info. As it stands right now:

-there will be three engines: a V6, a sensible V8, and a demented V8.

-prices will likely start out right around loaded Cobalt SS territory.

-the base V6 will give the current Mustang GT a run for it's money. A lower-output V6 was considered but deemed unnecessary. No mention was made of a four-banger, turbo or otherwise.

-the sensible V8 will probably produce numbers similar to the G8 GXP. Figure on a lighter curb weight and meatier tires, and you're looking at 0-60 in the low fours, I'd guess.

-the demented V8 will almost certainly exceed all other competitors with factory warranties, including Shelby 500KRs. I will once again go on record as saying that if Chevy decides to gear it the right way, it will give the Nissan GT-R fits. Sadly, it will have a sticker as high as it's power output.

-pilot convertibles are just beginning to be produced as we speak, which seems a little sooner than expected to my ears. Just in time for next summer perhaps?...

http://forums.motortrend.com/70/6704...ngs/index.html

·
Premium Member
2,774 Posts
hmmmm..how much sticks to the wall?? and what slides off?

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Sadly, it will have a sticker as high as it's power output:BangHead::eek::bs::thumbsdown::angry::finger::no::bat::barf::nutkick: boo,boo,boo

·
Premium Member
2,774 Posts
if its going to had the SRT's and KR500's then a high price tag will be there..
Look at the CTSV..should tell you the direction they are going in as far as speed..

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
To me it sounds like exactly what we all have been hearing lately, but pretty much just a summary of it.

It all still sounds good though:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Honestly, if this is someones BS; it the most reasonable BS ive heard in weeks.

With the way prices on automobiles going, 23k for a base isnt too bad. I expect the base mustang to be a little higher in price with the new facelift too. Plus its expected that the better car be a little higher in price, especially when it could keep pace of a Mustang GT, not the V6 mustang.

As for the power of the "sensible V8" being in the G8 GXP range, sound like GM has listened to the thousands of fans. It didnt say LS3, but at least it says powered like the GXP. Here's a nice article: http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/2008/112_0806_2009_pontiac_g8_gxp_first_look

{How will Pontiac do it with a larger, heavier sedan? With precious little modification to the C6's 436-horsepower, 428-pound-foot LS3. There are a different water pump and exhaust manifold, and a slightly modified intake, mostly for packaging. "The Corvette is optimized for airflow," Shipman says. "This car isn't quite as optimized."}

^ sounds about right. Maybe the Camaro could get the same treatment if this info from MT is right. Maybe this is the more cost effective version or some measures to put gas mileage/emissions before the performance by figuring no one with Camaros/G8s would be missing the vette version's advantages. Or (dare I say it in the open) to make the corvette guys happy by just saying it reduces the power of the zetas. All my guesses could be wrong; it could be a different engine all together or like the article says, just for packaging reasons.

"Tremec TR6060 six-speed manual-this is the only G8 offered with a stick-comes with a 3.70:1 final drive"

^I doubt GM will put 3.70s in the Camaro. For gas-mileage rationale. But I think it will still be a TR6060, but with 3.27. I hate to see gas guzzler tax of the "sensible V8" model. I do hope that these 3.70s are available from GMPP or at least an option on a special edition model.

As for the "demented V8", Im still guessing something near the LSA and not a LS9. Maybe that once mentioned LS8. LSA or LS8, i think it will be a modestly rated 550hp engine, with some tech goodies that from the CTS-V for handling and wow factor. With that in mind, I expect GT500 or even GT500KR pricing. This poor jinxed boy is going to get the "sensible V8". So no skin off my back with this news.

The convertibles are no surprise. I would expect they would have to start now to have them later.

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
There will be lots of good news to come as the actual release date comes near.

Other than the high priced version it's great news.

·
Registered
620 Posts
There will be lots of good news to come as the actual release date comes near.

Other than the high priced version it's great news.
that along with the end of the focus group meeting this month, i hope all the members on here that take part are able to get some new good pics that they will be able to share. mabye they will even be able to get us some confirmed answers to questions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Everything sounds very promising. The sensible V8 is still going to be a great street car and this makes it sound like it MAY very well be the LS3 and be priced at under 30k since the base v6 will be in the low 20s.

·
Registered
61 Posts
They pre-production convertible has had at least 1 set of pictures released (looked like a silver V-6 model)
If you are talking about the silver vert pics that were around a few weeks ago, I think those were an "old" clay mockup and not a pre-pro.
Clyde

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey Jinx, can you post the full link to the board? I'm interested to see what people on that board are saying.

I tried clicking on it, but with the "..." in there, it gives me an invalid URL

·
Registered
71 Posts
-the demented V8 will almost certainly exceed all other competitors with factory warranties, including Shelby 500KRs. I will once again go on record as saying that if Chevy decides to gear it the right way, it will give the Nissan GT-R fits. Sadly, it will have a sticker as high as it's power output.
If you look at the prices for the mustangs (Prices), the GT500 is going around $42K (and with markups close to $45) and the GT500KR lists at $80K.

Do you think the "demented V8" will be closer to the GT500 or GT500KR price? I would say close to $43K because then you start getting into the base corvette price. I know really that shouldn't matter, but from a marketing perspective, I don't think GM will let the top of the line Camaro be more expensive than the Corvette.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
so 2 V8's one lower level V8 and one higher performance one. So does this mean we wont be seeing both SS and Z28's out in the 1st year?

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Great news. I expected the top-of-the-line was going to be 40-45k. By the time this thing is available, we all should have some money saved for it! This is going to be my first brand-new car, so I want to go all out.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
looks like I'm in the "sensible V8' class. That is fine with me, it will still clobber a stock Mustang GT!:D

·
Registered
39 Posts
cool news (if it's true)

To me it sounds like exactly what we all have been hearing lately, but pretty much just a summary of it.

It all still sounds good though:thumbsup:
Feedback is going to the right places if it's true. This just sounds like a good starting lineup for the first year.

Letting go of the low power 6 would be a positive change, and I could see changes happening eventually, maybe with a DI 4 (@ 220 hp) offering to round out the bottom of the list.

The 'sensible' V8 choice might be the right one to make, but would have to include AFM and sell for under 30K. (I'm sure they had the 5th gen group in mind for that one :D ). I would absolutely love this car to be the new Z28!!

Can't imagine what will happen with the demented V8 - will just have to wait and see what's coming. :roxor: :screwy:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts