Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is probably a super noob question, but do adding longtube headers require a tune?, the only reason i ask is, i had a major issue with a tune gone wrong in my 2002 camaro and the programmer locked up and fried my ECU :(

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
this is probably a super noob question, but do adding longtube headers require a tune?, the only reason i ask is, i had a major issue with a tune gone wrong in my 2002 camaro and the programmer locked up and fried my ECU :(
with the automatic cars I believe you need a tune but my car is automatic L99 with AFM the header heat causes the car to throw a code and check engine light would come on there fore a tune is needed to correct this,im not sure about the 6 cylinder cars if its the same thing

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
There have been numerous posts indicating they will throw codes for the O2 sensors as they are usually moved farther downstream than stock and are reliant upon "wiring extensions" to reconnect them. YMMV.

As for a tune? Well, you will always get the "most" out of an engine mod with a tune but it is not mandatory... Our cars run rather rich from the factory. When you open the intake is when you start to "need" a tune...

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
I have heard of 1 person NOT needing a tune when he added LT headers...he didn't get any CEL's (on an LS3, w/ stainless works headers/cats).

BUT...since you have a V6...things could be different...not sure. I'd talk to the header manufacturer to see what their experience is on them. There's not too many tuners doing the V6 Camaro yet, so maybe they wont throw codes?

If you want to take a ride up to NY, I can put you in touch with a tuner who knows what he's doing. Once EFI live and/or HPtuners can access the V6 computer, he'll be tuning them. He's already tuning transmissions in the LT's.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
with the automatic cars I believe you need a tune but my car is automatic L99 with AFM the header heat causes the car to throw a code and check engine light would come on there fore a tune is needed to correct this,im not sure about the 6 cylinder cars if its the same thing
Anyway you can put a rap on them to cut the heat down?

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Anyway you can put a rap on them to cut the heat down?
It's more an issue with the 02 sensors being moved...not an issue of under the hood heat. Which is why shorty headers don't need a tune...the cats/O2's are untouched.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
It's more an issue with the 02 sensors being moved...not an issue of under the hood heat. Which is why shorty headers don't need a tune...the cats/O2's are untouched.
Cant just change to a different temp o2 sensor?

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Different brand maybe..but not the type of sensor........
Really. I thought I saw they also came in temp rating as well.. To compensate 4 there location.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts