Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few of you on here may have purchased your 5thgen and drive a beater during the winter months since the Salt yall use up north on the roads is not car friendly. I found steps on the internet that 5thgen owners are taking and figured if yall do store your car and dont do some/one of these it may help you in the long run :thumbsup:

Steps:

1) Make sure the gas tank is at about 1/2 and put seafoam in it, drive the car for 5 miles, than put Sta-Bil in the in the tank, drive to gas station, fill it up and take it home (or to storage location).

2) If the car is close to an oil change make sure you do it before storing the car, if you have more than a couple thousand miles left there is no need for it.

3) Clean the car and put a fit car cover on it (for garage storage) unless you are using a heated garage in which case you wouldn't need this. If you are storing it outside make sure you have a weatherproof car cover.

4) Either (a) hook up a battery tender or (b) disconnect the battery.

5) Not required but is good if you remove the wheels and leave the car on 4 jack stands (for indoor storage).

6) If using a battery tender start the car once every month for 10-15 minutes.

Recommendations:

1) If your going to be storing your car either somewhere outside, or in a garage that isn't sealed well/is opened up during the winter months, than it's recommended that you use a clean rag in each tailpipe in case of rodents or something else climbing into it and stuffing it. Also if your going to do this put a sticky on the steering wheel to remind you to not start the vehicle without removing the rags.

2) Do not set the parking brake, if it's a manual leave it in neutral.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Not sure if i'd do this, but apparently moth balls on the ground around, and under the car will prevent mice from nesting inside under the hood or elsewhere in the car, say your car is in an outside garage or barn etc.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ethanol in Gas

If your state mandates 10% ethanol in the fuel... Get the Stabil for marine equipment. It takes care of the ethanol.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Everyone still agree with this infos (O/P) ?

thinking around thanksgiving i'll put it away for the winter, i'd like to think about preping it.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
the fuel is the only one that i'm questioning

i've heard that it is better to have a full tank of fuel when going away for storage as to not leave room for condensation

but on the flip side i'm sure i've let my bronco sit for months with less then a 1/4 of fuel in it and never had a problem with it firing afterwards.

the ebrake thing is new to me as well. is this to prevent strain on the cable for being on for so long??

has anyone ran quick disconnects to their batteries yet? i was debating putting on a similar set up that the truck has to not have to keep taking the cable on and off when i want to fire the car up and let it run every month or so

the only other thing that i think should be mentioned is that if you're in a colder climate you should plug the car in for 24 hours before firing it up

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I used to go through all that crap but I'd rather have them sit in a well ventilated building so that I can fire them up from time to time and move them around. I don't like gears and seals not getting lubricated/pressurized for long periods of time. I do put fuel stabilizer in all of them.

Sitting in a "big cammed" camaro that's running is a great winter past time when it's -10!

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I used to go through all that crap but I'd rather have them sit in a well ventilated building so that I can fire them up from time to time and move them around. I don't like gears and seals not getting lubricated/pressurized for long periods of time. I do put fuel stabilizer in all of them.

Sitting in a "big cammed" camaro that's running is a great winter past time when it's -10!
what would you reccomend for those of us that don't quite have the space to drive the car around hylton?

the little garage that i'm putting my girl in i can maybe go back and forth a couple feet, but there's no way i'll be able to take her in and out even with a little bit of snow on the ground

·
Registered
1,892 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
what would you reccomend for those of us that don't quite have the space to drive the car around hylton?

the little garage that i'm putting my girl in i can maybe go back and forth a couple feet, but there's no way i'll be able to take her in and out even with a little bit of snow on the ground
The most important thing is to eliminate moisture. You can buy a bubble bag and put the car in it but then it becomes a hassle if you want to go out and start it up from time to time. Do use those flat stoppers if you are not going to move the car and make sure you have 34 psi in each tire.

If you are not going to use a bubble, then make sure you get air into the garage you are going to have her in. There has to be a good circulation of air going through the building to keep it from getting damp. If you have power in the garage, get a decent fan, put it on the floor and run it on low and circulating. This will also keep the vermin away as they do not like wind of any kind.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
The most important thing is to eliminate moisture. You can buy a bubble bag and put the car in it but then it becomes a hassle if you want to go out and start it up from time to time. Do use those flat stoppers if you are not going to move the car and make sure you have 34 psi in each tire.

If you are not going to use a bubble, then make sure you get air into the garage you are going to have her in. There has to be a good circulation of air going through the building to keep it from getting damp. If you have power in the garage, get a decent fan, put it on the floor and run it on low and circulating. This will also keep the vermin away as they do not like wind of any kind.
how many mice does it take to plug in a fan? :rotflmao:

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
i put carpet under my wheels to keep some warmth on the tires.

almost time for mine to go down for the year. insurance is due soon.....:(

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
This is my last month and then it's goodnight for a few months.....:( But on the plus side it's snow bustin' time in the Yukon......

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
ya i'm watching closely as to how many more days i get to drive my car too

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
i guess i can be grateful... if it snows where i am now located, it is completely melted by the next day!

last winter was the worst for me up in Tulsa... 2 solid months of snow on the ground, and 3 good months of sand and salt on the roads!

·
Registered
376 Posts
i guess i can be grateful... if it snows where i am now located, it is completely melted by the next day!

last winter was the worst for me up in Tulsa... 2 solid months of snow on the ground, and 3 good months of sand and salt on the roads!
what r u talking about the next day hell in Midland TX its gone by noon the same day

1 - 20 of 78 Posts