Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
It's about time! [URL="
[/URL] I'm sick and tired of narrowly avoiding accidents just to pass the offender and see them yaking away on their cell phone.
So way to go guys!
Right there with ya Hilary!!! Way OVER DUE!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
...if one life is saved.

A slippery slope. So......

No more bacon. It's bad for you.
No more whole milk, only skim.
Let's put a bomb in your dash to make you safer....better yet:
No cars. People die in car accidents.
No no no no no.....

·
Bully Proof
7,086 Posts
I don't think it's a slippery slope at all and there's nothing I hate more than government interference.

But we all know that talking and especially texting on a cell phone while driving is dangerous. So much so that it is now illegal to do so in school zones. Personally, I'd like to enjoy the same level of personal safety that they decided our children were entitled too.

And if big brother is going to make my butt wear a seat belt (which doesn't affect anyone else's personal safety)...I say please, please make everyone put up their d*mn phones.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
I don't think it's a slippery slope at all and there's nothing I hate more than government interference.

But we all know that talking and especially texting on a cell phone while driving is dangerous. So much so that it is now illegal to do so in school zones. Personally, I'd like to enjoy the same level of personal safety that they decided our children were entitled too.

And if big brother is going to make my butt wear a seat belt (which doesn't affect anyone else's personal safety)...I say please, please make everyone put up their d*mn phones.
2nd that!!!!!! Way to many crashes caused by People being DISTRACTED by the CELL Phone. Over 900,000 Crashes last yr and over 417,000 people Injured or Killed!!!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sorry but i disagree with this. Whats next? When does it end? Next thing you know you will be driving cars with speed governors at 55, crash helmets, 5 point harnesses, cant talk to passengers, cant listen to music, ect ect. The government always thinks they know whats best for everyone but is that really the case? Slowly but surely we are losing our rights and freedoms and im not talking about just how we drive. This is not something you should be jumping for joy about cause i promise you its gonna get worse.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hope nobody likes those nice touch screen monitors, or gps, bluetooth, sync, onstar, ect. Soon enough everything will be considered a distraction and all will be banned.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
You need to provide an incentive to change behaviors. Don't ban hammer all communications, but instead raise the fines to like $1000 for first time offense for texting while driving, or if found to be using it in an accident, say a $5,000 minimum fine with a $50,000 maximum with prison time. I'll bet dime to donuts people would change their behavior, or dig deep in their pockets. But they'll remember that.

But banning stuff like using hands free phones simply turns non-criminals into criminals, because people just aren't going to give that up. Sorry. Wishful thinking.

Ban me from using my bluetooth hands free in the car by using the Onstar link or with a headset, and I'll find another way. I'll be illegal in that regard. I view talking on the phone hands-free the same as if someone were in the back seat and I'm talking to them. I can carry on a conversation with someone else in the car without crashing. If you don't agree, that's fine. But I'm doing it anyway. Take the f'n stereo out too. Anyone singing along to their favorite itunes or whatever is obviously too distracted to drive. Friggin' wannabe nanny state. And if this goes through, Onstar and that Sync or whatever it is from Ford may get hurt real bad by this.

You can ban texting while driving...whole nuther story. That's just f'n stupid.

·
Registered
135 Posts
You need to provide an incentive to change behaviors. Don't ban hammer all communications, but instead raise the fines to like $1000 for first time offense for texting while driving, or if found to be using it in an accident, say a $5,000 minimum fine with a $50,000 maximum with prison time. I'll bet dime to donuts people would change their behavior, or dig deep in their pockets. But they'll remember that.

But banning stuff like using hands free phones simply turns non-criminals into criminals, because people just aren't going to give that up. Sorry. Wishful thinking.

Ban me from using my bluetooth hands free in the car by using the Onstar link or with a headset, and I'll find another way. I'll be illegal in that regard. I view talking on the phone hands-free the same as if someone were in the back seat and I'm talking to them. I can carry on a conversation with someone else in the car without crashing. If you don't agree, that's fine. But I'm doing it anyway. Take the f'n stereo out too. Anyone singing along to their favorite itunes or whatever is obviously too distracted to drive. Friggin' wannabe nanny state. And if this goes through, Onstar and that Sync or whatever it is from Ford may get hurt real bad by this.

You can ban texting while driving...whole nuther story. That's just f'n stupid.
:agree: +1000. Finally someone with some sense!

·
Registered
407 Posts
It's real easy to solve this issue. The majority of cell phones and smartphones have GPS mapping of some sort available. Add a program that disables phone operation when the device is moving faster than 10mph. This effectively locks the phone so you can't place or receive a call without the use of a hands free headset. If the phone is operated by a passenger then have some way of returning functionality to the phone but log that so authorities can check it should there be an accident. If there is an accident because the driver returned functionality then smack down a BIG fine with mandatory jail time if the accident was serious.

Banning hands free operation of cell phones is ridiculous. If you can carry on a conversation with someone in the car you can carry on a hands free cell phone conversation.

No cell phone should be sold without a headset of some sort. Include one with the phone and charge a little more to cover the cost of it. Problem solved. If the consumer wants a better headset/hands free unit then go buy one.

I'm not a fan of using technology to solve a people problem but in this instance it seems logical to me.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It's real easy to solve this issue. The majority of cell phones and smartphones have GPS mapping of some sort available. Add a program that disables phone operation when the device is moving faster than 10mph. This effectively locks the phone so you can't place or receive a call without the use of a hands free headset.

:facepalm: Yeah thats exactly what we need. Regulation of how or when we use our cell phones. Thats a great idea!...

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
This will be a LAW that is WAY OVER DUE!!!!! See the Problem is there's too Many people that can't be RESPONSIBLE ENOUGH and it ends up Ruining it for the Masses, I say OH Well it's a Law that I SUPPORT 100%... For one I am a Motorcycle Safety Instructor and I SEE & HEAR it All too OFTEN.... For U folks out there that Don't like the Law, OH Well, but when it happens to U, I'll be one of the 1st to Say I TOLD U SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
One sentence:

Truckers and their radios.

·
Registered
135 Posts
This will be a LAW that is WAY OVER DUE!!!!! See the Problem is there's too Many people that can't be RESPONSIBLE ENOUGH and it ends up Ruining it for the Masses, I say OH Well it's a Law that I SUPPORT 100%... For one I am a Motorcycle Safety Instructor and I SEE & HEAR it All too OFTEN.... For U folks out there that Don't like the Law, OH Well, but when it happens to U, I'll be one of the 1st to Say I TOLD U SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THEY want to ban the use of phones in cars because THEY say its a distraction. OK WHATEVER! Sure texting and playing on the internet with your phone while driving, can be distracting. Nobody said it wasnt. But your gonna tell me that you support a BAN on talking on the phone in your car? Whats the difference between talking on the phone or talking with a passenger? :dunno: Is it not distracting to put in a CD, listen to music, plug in your ipod, look at your gps, touch those touch screens alot of cars come with nowadays, ect,ect, so on and so forth. Ill answer that for you. Yes it is. So how long do you think it will be before all that is banned too??? Will you be praising that as well? WHEN DOES IT STOP??? Do you realize it wont be too much longer before we will be being told what we can and cannot eat? This isnt JUST about the **** phone! Im sick of someone else forcing their own agenda on people and telling us whats the best way to live our lives and forcing us to do what THEY think is acceptable. People need to wake up here and pay attention to the BIG PICTURE... Cherish your 426hp cars while it lasts because soon enough after a couple more highly publicized high hp car wrecks THEY will step in and say, OH, WE now think its too much hp and no car should have more than 150hp or go faster than 50mph to be safe on the road. See what im getting at here... :poke: ITS NOT JUST ABOUT THE PHONE!!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
You know, its people like you, that gives people like them, ammo to do things like this. Sooner or later, a ban, law, or agenda will be passed that affects you, your family, or just something you feel strongly about. When that happens, maybe you will understand where im coming from. Until then you and "big brother" will be number:finger: in my book...:lol:

P.S. Dont take any of this personally...:thumbsup: This is just two different people having two different opinions and discussing it in a public forum...;) This is what makes our country the greatest country in the world! You should never take your freedoms for granted!...IMO lol!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts