Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered mine!! I got the 1-7/8 SS LT headers with HF cats. I'm gonna attempt to do the install next weekend!! Cannot wait!!

·
Registered
394 Posts
nice.... post pics if you can.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just curious do yall know the weight of the stock manifolds?
and pics/video op would love to see/hear them!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Take your time and it should all go smoothly.
Did you install your LTs yourself? Any advice? Will I have to take the steering shaft off? I'm gonna take the spark plugs out but I'd like to know what else to expect beforehand...

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just curious do yall know the weight of the stock manifolds?
and pics/video op would love to see/hear them!
I will def post pics and a video. I plan of getting dynoed after so I will post a video of that also. I don't know the weight of the OEM manifolds. I did a Google search and didn't come up with a thing. I'll tell you in a week and a half if you can wait that long...haha!!

·
ユキヒョウ
1,442 Posts
Did you install your LTs yourself? Any advice? Will I have to take the steering shaft off? I'm gonna take the spark plugs out but I'd like to know what else to expect beforehand...
Yes, I installed mine. You shouldn't need to take steering shaft off, there's plenty of room. I didn't even take the sparkplugs out. Before you start, make sure you remember to disconnect the battery. The bolts closest to the firewall on both sides are a pain when you go to torque them down. The biggest possible problem is going to be removing the O2 sensors from the stock exhaust without messing up the treads. I used a freeze spray I got from a mechanic friend of mine and was thankful that all 4 came out ok. Other than that, it's pretty easy.

·
JacFab.com
428 Posts
I see a lot of people going with the OBX headers all of the sudden. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for them, and where did you get them?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I installed mine. You shouldn't need to take steering shaft off, there's plenty of room. I didn't even take the sparkplugs out. Before you start, make sure you remember to disconnect the battery. The bolts closest to the firewall on both sides are a pain when you go to torque them down. The biggest possible problem is going to be removing the O2 sensors from the stock exhaust without messing up the treads. I used a freeze spray I got from a mechanic friend of mine and was thankful that all 4 came out ok. Other than that, it's pretty easy.
Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to the install. I got a buddy who's gonna swing by and give me a hand. I'm gonna give myself a good amount of time just in case. We'll see!!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I see a lot of people going with the OBX headers all of the sudden. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for them, and where did you get them?
I've been eyeing the OBX for a while. I saw soo many people getting them also. That's what made me pull the trigger. I knew about OBX for a while because a few years ago I bought a set of their headers for my Mustang. And the quality and fitment was terrible. I was skeptical this time around until I saw that everyone was giving them excellent write-ups. I don't mind sharing the price...the place I got them from gave them to me for $675 shipped. Again, the real deal for me is the price. The next closest price was BBK for about $200 more. And all the high end companies (Kooks, ARH, JBA) seemed to be in the $900+ range.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I've been eyeing the OBX for a while. I saw soo many people getting them also. That's what made me pull the trigger. I knew about OBX for a while because a few years ago I bought a set of their headers for my Mustang. And the quality and fitment was terrible. I was skeptical this time around until I saw that everyone was giving them excellent write-ups. I don't mind sharing the price...the place I got them from gave them to me for $675 shipped. Again, the real deal for me is the price. The next closest price was BBK for about $200 more. And all the high end companies (Kooks, ARH, JBA) seemed to be in the $900+ range.
Curious to know, was the price what made you choose OBX over Kooks? The only reason I ask is because I've never read or heard one bad thing about Kooks.... And the HP gains from Kooks are amazing compared to everyone else. For example, almost all the cars that run the Continental Tire Series runs Kooks, as well as most your cars from ADRL and NMCA. If I were to purchase a new Camaro, until now, that would have been the only company I would have bought from. Now I seem to be hearing more and more about OBX. You'll definitely have to post pictures man.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Curious to know, was the price what made you choose OBX over Kooks? The only reason I ask is because I've never read or heard one bad thing about Kooks.... And the HP gains from Kooks are amazing compared to everyone else. For example, almost all the cars that run the Continental Tire Series runs Kooks, as well as most your cars from ADRL and NMCA. If I were to purchase a new Camaro, until now, that would have been the only company I would have bought from. Now I seem to be hearing more and more about OBX. You'll definitely have to post pictures man.
I've only heard and read good things about Kooks as well. In fact, I have not heard one negative thing about any of the header companies. Price was the main factor tho. And the more and more I looked, I started to notice that more and more people are giving OBX great write-ups. And for what I intend to use the car for, OBX is the best choice. Now if Kooks was in the same price range, then I would have gone with them. I will def post pics. They should be here next Wednesday!!

·
JacFab.com
428 Posts
Please do post pictures of them... Looking on ebay I see 2 different sets of headers that are distinctly different from each other both claiming to be OBX headers... Curious to know which is right.

Typically it is said that the offshore places will buy a set of US headers, copy them, and sell them at a fraction of the cost... I'm looking at a set right now that appears almost identical to Kooks headers from the pictures.

Anyone know what the US made brand the OBX headers resemble most, or do they resemble none?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Please do post pictures of them... Looking on ebay I see 2 different sets of headers that are distinctly different from each other both claiming to be OBX headers... Curious to know which is right.

Typically it is said that the offshore places will buy a set of US headers, copy them, and sell them at a fraction of the cost... I'm looking at a set right now that appears almost identical to Kooks headers from the pictures.

Anyone know what the US made brand the OBX headers resemble most, or do they resemble none?
They all look the same to me. I see the V8 LTs, the V8 STs, and the V6 LTs. The runners all look the same and have the same design. Which ones are you looking at? Can you post the URL?

I personally also thought the headers resembled another company. But looking at the design in comparison to others, it doesn't exactly look like any other brand. I don't think they copied anyone. All the runners go in different paths. Check em out...

·
JacFab.com
428 Posts
They all look the same to me. I see the V8 LTs, the V8 STs, and the V6 LTs. The runners all look the same and have the same design. Which ones are you looking at? Can you post the URL?

I personally also thought the headers resembled another company. But looking at the design in comparison to others, it doesn't exactly look like any other brand. I don't think they copied anyone. All the runners go in different paths. Check em out...
These are the 2 different styles I see:

OBX Exhaust Header Long Tube 2010 & Up Chevy Camaro SS V8 6.2L LS3 | eBay

OBX Catted SS304 Exhaust Manifold Header 2010+ Chevrolet Camaro SS V8 6.2L LS3 | eBay

Both claim to be OBX brand. The primary tubes appear to take the same route, but you can see on one set the primary tubes are one piece, and on the other set some of them are 2 pieces welded together. The other difference I see is the collectors look to be different, one set where the primarys merge into the collector the merge is very stubby looking, and the other is longer, and a smoother looking merge. Perhaps they are just random stock photos, in which neither will look exactly like what you will get? I don't know, just an observation.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
These are the 2 different styles I see:

OBX Exhaust Header Long Tube 2010 & Up Chevy Camaro SS V8 6.2L LS3 | eBay

OBX Catted SS304 Exhaust Manifold Header 2010+ Chevrolet Camaro SS V8 6.2L LS3 | eBay

Both claim to be OBX brand. The primary tubes appear to take the same route, but you can see on one set the primary tubes are one piece, and on the other set some of them are 2 pieces welded together. The other difference I see is the collectors look to be different, one set where the primarys merge into the collector the merge is very stubby looking, and the other is longer, and a smoother looking merge. Perhaps they are just random stock photos, in which neither will look exactly like what you will get? I don't know, just an observation.
Yes I see what you're saying. Incidentally, I got mine from the first URL (All Motorsports). I'll have to see when they arrive.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Headers came in yesterday and they look amazing!! Gonna try to have them in by the weekend!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok guys...I just finished installing my headers!! The install in one word...easy as hell...ok that's three words but who is counting?! The install was super easy. I did it on ramps by myslef in 6 hours. With a lift, power tools, and an extra set of hands it would have taken around 2 hours. But still, anyone can do this install as long as you take your time, take a few breaks, and do it right. I'm pretty proud of myself right now!!

Only issues are that the headers came without O2 extensions. So I had to take the connectors off their posts to make it reach. But that was nothing serious. I re-used the stock bolts. I threw the gaskets that came with the kit in the trash and re-used the stock gaskets as well. No leaks, everything fit perfectly, it's all good!!

So I took it for a drive. No codes (yet)...and it feels a LOT more powerful. This thing moves out and sounds aggressive as heck!! It isn't too overwhelming tho. I gotta say it's a nice upgrade!! I've got a guy writing me a code now. download his initial tune, install it, datalog, and then email the tune back so he can fine tune the ECU. After that I should be all set. And then I'm gonna try to get dynoed next week to see where I'm at. Stay tuned!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts