Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That would be a hellva option to have ordered on the beast. NC State Patrol continues to use 4thgens camaro's.
Was any of this talked about in your focus groups? I know you can't release too much info "eyes only" :patriot:

SF
Rick

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
there's probably no plans yet.

There's still some state troopers up here in 4th gens (those cars must be REALLY abused by now)...there's some new chargers running around as well.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Haha. Here in Missouri, we actually have a C6 Highway Pursuit vehicle. I've not given it a run for it's money, but it ran an 11.6 at the local track. Otherwise it's the standard Crown Vics and Charger SRT8s.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Technically anything can be used as a police car.

As of now I don't know of any specific police package to be offered.
Indeed, there really isn't anything "special" about most police cars such as vics. Most modifications are done "post purchase", except some minor touches. Take the impala for instance....GM's website describes what is included with their PD vehicle, but each agency is different. I believe we had our own cages, bars, and rifle casings.

I would assume the 5th Gen would be similiar to the 4th...typically base V8s with beefed suspension and wide threads/rim packages....they really arent anything to crazy...you just put some pretty blues on top and they look like space ships.

·
Registered
318 Posts
They do, actually, for continuous duty. Especially long-distance pursuits.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have heard oil and trans coolers, but beefed transmission..ehhh maybe cops are taken better care of up north? haha. Then again, I dont believe its for long distance pursuits due to the fact that typically only highway patrol initiates extensive pursuits..I believe it is used for agencies who use their vehicles 24/7 or what we call "pool cars". Day shift uses the vehicle all day...then graveyard shift comes in and the car stays running... Again, I believe that is more common up north.

Because they are 2doors? I don't believe I have ever seen a 4th gen patrol vehicle with 4 doors...or a camaro period? Highway patrol has a handful here in Florida all of which do not have cages for transport. They are specifically assigned to aggressive driving, if the traffic stop warrants an arrest a "zone" or "sector" unit arrives on scene to take custody..but that is just Florida..I cant speak for others

I would love to see some marked units in the next few years, the charger is becoming more common...but an unmarked 5th gens pulling people over...thats just bad ass

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
I can see it happening. New cars today have better specs that would allow them to meet requirements for police duty.

The Indiana State Police have 18 Mustang GT police cars so I can see them buying some Camaros in the future as well. I did see 2 police Mustangs today. One was silver and another was blue. Their lights are hidden well and they have NO external antennas to give them away.

·
Registered
330 Posts
cop cars need to stay cop cars! i hate nothing more then a shady punk hiding behind a tree, guard rail, sign, bridge, in a black, or any solid color car/truck, and then just jump out (entrapment), squeel tires (improper takeoff as well as wreckless endangerment)

... all this to get some guy who was doing 59 in a 55. thats sure worth it... so now the city gets 100 bucks, the guy is late to work, and the world is a much better place. never mind the robbery that took place around the corner when this guy was HIDING off the side of the road instead of actually making a law enforcement presence throughout the city.

maybe if there were REAL cops going up n down the street by that bank (showing their colors), then the real criminals would be tempted to find other means of making money.

or we can keep using unmarked cars and pick off all the dangerous "speeders" we can focus in areas where the speed limit goes instantly from 55 to 40 or 45, with no warning of the change. and if they dont brake fast enough, we can catch lots of them, just by hiding behind the billboard... they will never know, since we arent in cop cars....

on the other hand, if they are painted like police vehicles, and have visible lights, and are used ON PATROL, then yes they probably should have cars like the camaro, with the power and handling they need to effectively do their job. mainly on highways or other high speed areas. i dont see a need for it in town or where the average speed is 30-40. thats like using a lamborghini for parking lot security. kind of overkill. maybe they should be used by state police for instance, rather then the town bullys.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
cop cars need to stay cop cars! i hate nothing more then a shady punk hiding behind a tree, guard rail, sign, bridge, in a black, or any solid color car/truck, and then just jump out (entrapment), squeel tires (improper takeoff as well as wreckless endangerment)

... all this to get some guy who was doing 59 in a 55. thats sure worth it... so now the city gets 100 bucks, the guy is late to work, and the world is a much better place. never mind the robbery that took place around the corner when this guy was HIDING off the side of the road instead of actually making a law enforcement presence throughout the city.

maybe if there were REAL cops going up n down the street by that bank (showing their colors), then the real criminals would be tempted to find other means of making money.

or we can keep using unmarked cars and pick off all the dangerous "speeders" we can focus in areas where the speed limit goes instantly from 55 to 40 or 45, with no warning of the change. and if they dont brake fast enough, we can catch lots of them, just by hiding behind the billboard... they will never know, since we arent in cop cars....

on the other hand, if they are painted like police vehicles, and have visible lights, and are used ON PATROL, then yes they probably should have cars like the camaro, with the power and handling they need to effectively do their job. mainly on highways or other high speed areas. i dont see a need for it in town or where the average speed is 30-40. thats like using a lamborghini for parking lot security. kind of overkill. maybe they should be used by state police for instance, rather then the town bullys.
Around here we use Impalas and V6 Chargers/Magnums for Civil Division (paper runners, warrant, and court order, etc) and City Police. The State Highway Patrol uses V8 Chargers, Crown Vics, and Tahoes. Most Sheriff Depts. Patrol division use V8 Chargers/Magnums, Crown Vic, Explorers, Tahoes. So we dont have much use for V6s outside the city limits. Unless we get another federal highway grant and blow it like the town next door, then maybe the local PD will get pony patrol car. Im not holding my breath for the Sheriff Department to get their.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The unmarked units are the most useful tools for aggressive driving, gangs, firearms and drug/dui prevention. I have been involved in Gang Enforcement for over two years and without an unmarked my job would be much more difficult...now many people say "oh well thats understandable", guns, gangs, and drugs kill more people then drivers, so its ok for you to have an unmarked.....bull s---.

As much as I agree drugs, gangs, and keeping firearms out of the hands of convicted felons are essential, traffic enforcement is just as critical. 200 people die a year in traffic crashes for every 25 that are killed by guns or controlled substances in my jurisdiction. While driving around in my unmarked truck utilized for gang enforcement, I have had numerous vehicles take off at traffic lights, race, drive reckless, speed, cut innocent motorists off the roadway...why? because they didnt see a cop in the area, and their radar detectors weren't going off.....THAT is why you see unmarked vehicles...9 times out of 10 they aren't for speeders, they are for reckless/aggressive/street racing violators.

If recall correctly, I have never heard of a judge ruling on a parked vehicle as being entrapment or violating any constitutional rights by "hiding like punks". Personally I dont cite anyone until they are going 15 mph over the speed limit, I dont believe 10 over is blatant by any means, infact someone who cites for anything less than 10 over is kinda ridiculous...but if you think its ok to drive cautiously when cops are around in marked vehicles, but drive like a d bag when none are visible or your radar detector is non-responsive then as far as I am concerned you dont need to be on the same road way as my kids and other innocent civilians.

How about this.....people trash their radar detectors and we will trash the unmarks...but I don't see anyone willing to do that either. Why is it ok for YOU to defeat the system with a detector but when we combat it with unmarks you cry foul? Radar detectors were established well before unmarks. Unmarks were non-existent in Florida unless you were a detective or a chief Less than 10 years ago.....or hell, you could just drive the speed limit

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
I found some old chops....Hey, I bet some LEOs are dreaming about getting a police pursuit Camaro.

I've seen Indiana State Police and County Sheriff Departments use the 3rd and 4th gens as marked and unmarked patrol cars.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
How about this.....people trash their radar detectors and we will trash the unmarks...but I don't see anyone willing to do that either. Why is it ok for YOU to defeat the system with a detector but when we combat it with unmarks you cry foul? Radar detectors were established well before unmarks. Unmarks were non-existent in Florida unless you were a detective or a chief Less than 10 years ago.....or hell, you could just drive the speed limit
Start basing speed limits on IQs, and give people incremental speed driver's licenses, and I'll follow the rules more. But when they set most speed limits to be as fast as the lowest common denominator driver can handle, that's what bugs me. I autocross, so I know the limits of my car. I never drive above those limits. But I am constantly driving way below the level I can so I don't get pulled over to feed the government economy. I am not reckless, and I totally appreciate the police, and everything they do, but when speeding 5-10 mph over the limit is the tickets that they go for, then it's just annoying to me. It's not a service, it's a suppression. You don't know my limits, and the politicians who decided speed limits don't either.

Sorry for the rant. Just kinda one of those things that has always bugged me. Most rules and laws were created for those people that have no common sense about what is right, and what is wrong.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.